Hello from ex Ben Line Cadet - Ships Nostalgia
20:58

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hello from ex Ben Line Cadet

User Tag List

Old 1st June 2006, 21:39

My location
Hello from ex Ben Line Cadet

Noticed this Ben Line forum when I joined the other day. I was with Ben Line as cadet from 1963 to 1967. Mainly on Bencluech and Benledi for deep sea trips.
Old 1st June 2006, 23:50
Willie

My location
Ben Line Cadets

Hi Scotty,

Welcome to the site. My own first trip deep sea was as a cadet on the "Benledi". Joined her in August 1969 at West India Docks, done three trips on her before been moved on to the "Benmacdhui". Fantastic times.

Plenty of yarns on this forum from old Ben boat guys, gets you hooked right away.

Regards

Willie Macfarlane
Old 1st June 2006, 23:54

My location
Welcome aboard NZSCOTTY a fair few ex Ben Line people here, I was a cadet with them myself in the mid to late fifties. I hope you join in the forums and enjoy the site offerings.
Old 2nd June 2006, 03:20

My location
Thanks for the welcome to Ben Line pages. Yes it brings back memories of the Ben Line days. Work all day and night - no bridge time (except to clean the brass). SHould have gone as an AB (but couldn't speak the Galic!!
Old 2nd June 2006, 08:43

My location
Great to have you on board at last John, think you will find many ex Ben
people here.

JC
Old 2nd June 2006, 13:09

My location
Ben-Line

Hi there NZSCOTTY,Welcome aboard,what Benboats were you on as it was the same era that i was with them.
Cheers,--------Wully
Old 2nd June 2006, 13:54

My location
welcome

Welcome, NZSCOTTY - i am sure you will find many like-minded people on this site.
I also recommend this Internet Site if you haven't found it already.
http://www.ben-line.org.uk/
Old 2nd June 2006, 19:16
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome NZSCOTTY to the site enjoy it and all it has to offer.
Old 2nd June 2006, 19:18
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Welcome aboard, NZSCOTTY. Enjoy the site.

Rgds
Paid it in full”
Old 2nd June 2006, 19:20
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Welcome onboard to SN enjoy your time on site
Old 2nd June 2006, 21:50

My location
Mainly on Bencluech and Benledi but also coastal on others like Benlomond
Old 2nd June 2006, 21:52

My location
Thanks John, I am home on leave now. Bloody cold with frosts
Old 7th June 2006, 08:21

My location
Benledi maiden Voyage 1965

Anyone got photos of Benledi on her maiden voyage.
Old 18th June 2006, 13:42
Active: 1976 - Present

My location
Ben Line too

G'day all, first Ben boat was Benstac. Joined in NY on a Barber Line charter as deckboy fresh out of TS Dolphin at the end of "76. Did 8 mnths then joined 'lomond in Grangemouth and took her to scrap in Kaohsiung. Next was the 'lawers, joined her in Avonmouth (where I banged into the NZ Waitangi's crowd and got on the hops for a few days before eventually getting signed on) for a double-header down the west coast of Sth America on a PSNC charter. Next was 'dearg then 'avon and 'cruachan. Think Bencruachan was the last British flagged, steam turbine, general cargo ship in existance. Sure to get a few minds thinking, but let's get the pot stirred!
Old 28th January 2007, 06:09

from what i can see i must have been the only one to ever sail on the bendoran joined in liverpool in 64 till 66 she was also a steam turbyne general gargo , still cant find a crew list for her i can remember some of them i also have a pic of our football team when i get my scanner back i will post the pic and names
Old 6th August 2007, 09:11

My location
Benledi's maiden voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSCOTTY View Post
Noticed this Ben Line forum when I joined the other day. I was with Ben Line as cadet from 1963 to 1967. Mainly on Bencluech and Benledi for deep sea trips.
I have a grainy but magic peice of film from super 8 mm that I took in 1966
as the Benledi sailed passed.
I was on the Benvracki
Old 6th August 2007, 14:32
Active: 1957 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian mcinnes View Post
from what i can see i must have been the only one to ever sail on the bendoran joined in liverpool in 64 till 66 she was also a steam turbyne general gargo , still cant find a crew list for her i can remember some of them i also have a pic of our football team when i get my scanner back i will post the pic and names
Ian
I was Mate on the Bendoran for over a year in the sixties Ralph Cowie was Master Malcolm Organ Chief Off Myself as Mate Dave Ormistom Second Mate and Chis Cladingbowl was Third Mate I am sure the Lecky was Dave Toshack
thats al I remember
TomS
Old 7th August 2007, 13:50
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by roymuir View Post
G'day all, first Ben boat was Benstac. Joined in NY on a Barber Line charter as deckboy fresh out of TS Dolphin at the end of "76. Did 8 mnths then joined 'lomond in Grangemouth and took her to scrap in Kaohsiung. Next was the 'lawers, joined her in Avonmouth (where I banged into the NZ Waitangi's crowd and got on the hops for a few days before eventually getting signed on) for a double-header down the west coast of Sth America on a PSNC charter. Next was 'dearg then 'avon and 'cruachan. Think Bencruachan was the last British flagged, steam turbine, general cargo ship in existance. Sure to get a few minds thinking, but let's get the pot stirred!
You right Roy, Cruachan was the last British steam turbined cargo vessel in service. I did the last full coast and voyage on her,signing off in Hull on 25th. Feb 1980.
Quite an eventfull voyage! Broken down off Singapore with boiler trouble (leaking tubes), got around the Far East okay but burst more tubes just off the Humber coming home. Remember it was thick fog and late at night as we went up to Hull and only just made it as we were running out of feed water for the boiler. She was quite unique in that she had only one main boiler, although you could run on the 'donkey boiler', but this took around 12hours to change over the pipes etc.After that, she had temporary boiler repairs to get her out to the F.E again and was scrapped. On the voyage I did, Ben line used her as a training ship and if I remember rightly, we had six engineer cadets and six deck cadets on board.
Old 7th August 2007, 17:38
Active: 1976 - Present

My location
G'day Paul, I've just had a look at the old Discharge Book and it looks like I joined the day you paid off. I joined 25.2.1980 in Hull, signed off on 5.5.1980 in Kaohsiung. Harry McIntosh was the Skipper and I think Derek Ferrier was the Bosun.

Regards, Roy.
Old 14th August 2007, 18:15

Hi Roy. Yep, you're right. Derek was the Bosun. I also paid off that trip in Kaohsiung but a day or 2 before everyone else as I flew home with the notice of readiness. Shinned down the pilot ladder as she was backing into the breakers berth. Flight home was eventfull too. The st'bd outer engine of the BA 747 I was on caught fire just after take off from Hong Kong. The landing back in Hong Kong on 3 engines was also memorable!!! We knew it was serious when they started handing out free booze as this was still the days of paying (apart from Singapore Airlines & Cathay Pacific).
Old 29th August 2007, 12:39
Active: 1959 - 1979

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Ian
I was Mate on the Bendoran for over a year in the sixties Ralph Cowie was Master Malcolm Organ Chief Off Myself as Mate Dave Ormistom Second Mate and Chis Cladingbowl was Third Mate I am sure the Lecky was Dave Toshack
thats al I remember
TomS

I was Lecky on the Bendoran for I think two trips in the sixties. I think I remember Ian (did you have a beard at that time). John Cringle was master at that time though I think he died on board the trip after I left. I remember Malcolm Organ was Ch Off, I think Abe Davidson was Chief Engineer and George Mabon was 2nd.

Dave Toshack
Old 29th August 2007, 15:59
Active: 1957 - 2003

My location
Dave
I remember you well you sailed on two or three ships with me I think the Rinnes was one of them and we had a couple of coasts to-gether. Your Aunt used to live up beside me in Edinburgh
TomS
Old 31st August 2007, 15:53
Active: 1959 - 1979

My location
I think it was my sister who lived near you.
I left Ben Line in 1979 and worked onshore with Amoco for about 20 years until they merged with BP then took early retirement.
Old 17th September 2011, 23:58

hi was ben line cadet in the eeary eighties
Old 16th February 2012, 22:13
Active: 1965 - 2009

I was cadet from April 1966 to July 1969 (1 years remission from sea school and MAR). Have to say I wasn't too impressed when in line for uncert 3rd mate's job which was then given to an ex Ellerman guy instead!

Bengloe and Benavon during the seaman's strike of 1966; Benavon being the best fun - 6 weeks in Liverpool. Titch or Twitch Wilson was master; other cadets Davy Keillor, Jim Lough and a big tall guy with a full beard who went with Mobil after Ben Line. We cadets had to do the catering on board - preparing, cooking and serving. Not often you saw cadets serving in the saloon in "Tuff" boots! I'm surpised none of the officers collapsed with food poisoning.

Other ships - Benvalla, Benledi, Bennevis, Benvannoch.

Following the uncert 3rd mate issue, I left and went with Bank Line for the rest of my time in Merch, albeit with a few minor diversions to Denholm-Maclay, Helmville and Bristol Steam Navigation. Finally went with Royal Maritime Auxiliary Service, which on the seagoers was nothing like the Merch but as master got plenty of shiphandling and freedom to act as an old time master without schedule restraints, oh and no Merchant Shipping Acts either! All good things come to an end they've now been privatised and gone to Serco.