United Baltic Corp - Ships Nostalgia
02:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

United Baltic Corp

User Tag List

Old 3rd June 2006, 13:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1965 - 1970

United Baltic Corp

you don't see much about this company on here.
I was on two of their ships, the Baltic Jet which sailed out of Hull and went mainly to Finland, I also went to Russia and Poland with this company but that might have been on the Baltic Importer which went out of the Surrey Commercial Docks.
I was galley boy on both ships, it was in the late sixties that I was with both ships, probably 1967 or 8, I stayed on either ship at least 6 months which was unusual for me.
Names I remember;on the Baltic Jet, David..pantry boy, Laurie..assistant steward, Jim..chief steward, Bob Holcombe..cook, the name Dodo Grady also rings a bell, he was a giant of a bloke, worked on deck, AB I believe, I remember one occassion where the deckies were over the side on a raft, in Hull I think, they were painting over the side, they had missed locking one of the loos, Dodo Grady was storming through the ship as he got covered in something not too nice.
Really enjoyed both ships.
The Baltic Importer, I remember the chief steward was a small guy from Hull, he was a right Teddy Boy, pointed shoes and all, nice bloke, didn't interfere too much with us in the galley, the cook was a good cook, scottish bloke, he had his wife down on the ship a couple of times when we were in London.
I remember going to a pub just outside the docks, The Jolly Caulkers, I think the area is classed as Rotherhithe.
I got on really well with the assistant steward, long haired lad who came from Devon, can't remember his name but a top bloke he was.
He left and then I remember his replacement was from Wolverhampton, a big mop of ginger hair and tash as well, another nice chap, I remember the other boy was a tall kid from Auchtermauchlie in Scotland, not sure if I've spelt it correctly.
I remember getting caught with 200 cigs that I'd stashed and was fined £10 a bit stiff when you're on £24 a month.
Both ships were really good, decent feeders......though I can't ever say I sailed on anything that wasn't a good feeder, good cooks and good crewmates, some more info is coming back as I write, the bosun was a tall chap called Aiden, we had a lamptrimmer or was he the chippy, chippy methinks, I remember he broke curfew in Russia and he had his shore leave permit stopped, he was desperate as he was seeing this woman.The second steward was a real small, fragile looking Scottish guy who really kept himself to himself, didn't seem to mix with anyone, harmless though.
Anyway if I haven't made it clear both ships were really good, and again I must say that I'm surprised that there isn't more written about them.
Old 3rd June 2006, 14:53

My location
There have been a few comments about UBC on this forum some time ago.
I sailed on the Sprite, Merchant, Importer and Exporter in a period of 2 1/2 years with them. I am surprised that the Importer went to Leningrad, for all the time I was with them, up to coming ashore in 1967 it was the Merchant that was on the Leningrad run. I did two 6 months spells on her doing the Surrey docks to Leningrad, according to my discharge book I am still in Russia as on my last trip we were supposed to go from Leningrad to Riga, but in the Gulf of Finland this was cancelled and my book was never stamped with the second stamp.
Old 3rd June 2006, 17:42

united baltic corp.

cheers for that Baltic Wal, it's difficult for me as my discharge book disappeared many years ago, my first wife seemed to mis-place it, I believe you can get a replacement and I plan to do that one day.
I always felt very uneasy in Russia, what with the guards at various points of the quay around the ship, and them coming on board doing their various checks.
I'm reasonably sure it was the Importer that I went to Russia and Poland on.
I was with both of the ships for around 6 month spells, I was taught how to play crib on the Jet, loved the game, still do but it's so rare to see anyone playing it.
Happy days, eh.
Old 19th June 2007, 15:42

Hi I was on the Baltic Merchant In Feb,1964.
We was trapped in the ice with a few more ships
while the icebrecker came.I'm like you I use to feel uneasy
In Russia
Artie
Old 21st June 2007, 00:34
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1989

My location
Baltic boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreggie View Post
you don't see much about this company on here.

Anyway if I haven't made it clear both ships were really good, and again I must say that I'm surprised that there isn't more written about them.
Hi redgreggie,

I am also surprised that there are not more posts on here about the "Baltic boats". They had quite a few ships sailing out of different ports years ago.

I sailed on three of them,

"Baltic Express" London to Finland in 1970
"Baltic Sprite" Manchester to Finland in 1971
"Baltic Viking" Manchester to Riga, Latvia in 1972

They were all good jobs, except for the "Express". We lived aft (AB's) and not very good accommodation. Food was good and we had a good deck crowd, Bosun, Chippy etc.. and a good run. I loved all the ports in Finland even though we were there in the winter(not very nice if you were on deck). The sad part of my time on there was when we lost the Mate and Chippy. They were washed off the foc'sle head down to the forepart of the bridge and died of their injuries. We were on the way from Finland to Methil and this incident happened halfway across the North Sea.

Yankee helicopters came out to us but it was too late for the mate who died in our arms(we were hanging on to them to keep them comfortable as the ship was rolling like a bastard, we had them in the accommodation by this time) The chippy was taken off in the helicopter but died on the way to Aberdeen hospital.

I did one more trip back to Finland and we took the mates body back in the ships hospital. He was newly married to a Finnish girl and was only in his early thirties. His name was Charlie (Kirk) Church. A lovely man, what a waste.

The Chippy/Handyman was called Chris Wardle, a Geordie from North or South Shields (I can't remember which) a married man with a few children. Another lovely man and good shipmate. His good mate, who also was on there, was Kenny Burns.

After this incident I couldn't sail in her again even though I did do one more trip, no fault of the ship, but there was something about her that I couldn't handle. I paid off in Millwall Dock, London and a week later joined the "Blenheim" (Fred Olsen line) in the same dock just before Christmas.

What a contrast, from the icy Baltic winter to cruising to the Canary Islands.

I joined the "Baltic Sprite" in Manchester in 1971. A lovely little ship, three hatches and three cranes. Good accommodation and grub. I did a few trips in her and finished up relieving the Bosun(a Pole who had been there for years, a very nice man). I didn't see eye to eye with the mate and paid off in Erith on the Thames with the rest of the deck crowd.

My last ship was the "Baltic Viking". Joined her New Years Eve 1971 and stayed there six months until June 72. On of the best ships I ever sailed on. Two hatches, Thomson derricks. A great crew right down from the "old man" to the Galley boy. Three on deck and a Bosun. Albert Kenyon from Manchester was the Bosun and the Mate was Ron Harvey, a cock bird. We all did our jobs(no room for skivers and head workers) and every one was happy from the skipper down. I only left to join the Hovercraft in Dover( which I had been on the previous season) which was full of dolly birds.

I sometimes wonder if I did the right thing as I am still in Dover after 35 years.

Sorry to ramble on, but I had some good and sad times on the "Baltic boats"

Alec.
Old 21st June 2007, 11:30

united baltic corp.

nice to read your post Alex, albeit some very sad memories for sure.
Other than a couple of tankers and a couple of ferries the bulk of my career was spent on runs to Scandinavia, rock dodging as the deep sea lads use to refer to it.
I was with an Ellerman Wilson ship, the Silvio, which would have been around the same size as the Baltic Jet and the Baltic Importer, and I enjoyed all three ships.

I was galley boy on all three ships, and whilst I enjoyed all three I much preferred my time on the Baltic boats.
I got on famously with the cook on the Jet, I'm sure as I can be that his name was Bob Holcolme, as I said in my initial post I learnt how to play crib on there, you don't see people playing that game in pubs anymore do you, that's because the landlord/brewery haven't sussed out how to devise a pegboard where you have to install money before you can play!..........no doubt they're working on the idea.

Yes they were tidy little shipsand I really enjoyed working on them.

Ray.
Old 21st June 2007, 11:47
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Ray
Spent the best 3 years of my time at sea on Baltic Venture running mainly Finland to NW Europe. Did one other trip each on Baltic Arrow, Baltic Jet and Goya the latter was a week around trip Southampton Spain , France and Back. The Jet and Arrow both on UK to Poland run
Old 21st June 2007, 12:32

My location
Hi Mates
Did one short trip on the Arrow but I picked the wrong time right in the middle of deepest darkest WINTER nothing wrong with the food or the crew just me, not able to take the sea freezing and thought I would be better of in the sun Trip from Surrey docks Finland back to Hull. Early sixties.

Ron
Old 21st June 2007, 12:49

baltic sun

Hi,my name is Frank Earl and I sailed on the Baltic Sun in the 1960s.We ran from tower bridge to Gdynia and Gdansk,bringing frozen pork carcasses.The dockers were women who dodged the armed guards and ate a frozen pork carcass every day using a hacksaw blade.The bones were dropped over the side.Times were tough for them in post war Poland.More info if you would like some.Frank(Bert Bloggs on this site).
Old 21st June 2007, 13:43
Department: Navigation
Active: 1968 - 1993

Hi all ,
in 73 did two trips on sprite and one on the venture as third mate , those were some of the best days of my seagoing life , the sprite was something special .
The captain was Jackie Jones from Southend ( i think )
Quote:
the Bosun(a Pole who had been there for years, a very nice man)
Kroll
One of the second mates ( sorry forget name ) with ginger hair , later made international news as his request for a wife sent in a bottle washed up on a Sweedish beach , perhaps somebody as more info on this .
Also have heard that one of my long lost cousins has married an ex captain from UBC , John Rose , if he or anybody knows email addresse please let me know .

mike
Old 21st June 2007, 14:25

My location
Mike
Captain Jones was a Gentleman and was mad keen on Paddington Bear - a real character
Old 21st June 2007, 14:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdynia View Post
Mike
Captain Jones was a Gentleman and was mad keen on Paddington Bear - a real character
He certainly was , i remember we were once just reading the draft marks before sailing and my mum and dad appeared on the dock ,they hadnt seen me for ages and they were visiting London . He postponed sailing for a few hours while he entertained my parents on board with a drink . My mum who had never been on a ship before remembered this for the rest of her life .

mike

ps dont remember the paddington Bear thing

mike
Old 21st June 2007, 14:53

My location
Mike
He suddenly took a liking for Paddington Bear and even had a Flag made with the Bear on it. There was also a Paddington Bear on the Bridge where in its paw was kept the Night Order Book. If Im correct that was Baltic Vanguard on the Russian run. Im certain he was made redundant months before he got his 25 year service in.
Old 21st June 2007, 15:48

Quote:
Im certain he was made redundant months before he got his 25 year service in.
When would that be about then ??

Also remember once he shouted up to the bridge "let me know when close to fishing boats " , being a young oow and from Deep sea i kept well clear of all v/l's ,until he came on the bridge headed into the middle of the fishing fleet waiving a bottle and a carton of 200 , that was the best fish supper i had ever tasted .

mike
Old 21st June 2007, 20:54
Active: 1963 - 1972

My location
Baltic Star 1970 - EDH
Baltic Vanguard 1970 - AB

If you do a search in the Gallery, there are a few Baltic Boats in there - ice and all!
Old 21st June 2007, 22:14

A few weeks ago I saw a ship in Burntisland,as far as I remember she was"Baltic Express"registered Gibralter.Were they "Flagged out" or bought out?
Old 22nd June 2007, 00:05

My location
Hi notnila,
The "Baltic Express" that I sailed on was broken up in India in 1984.

Trader.
Old 22nd June 2007, 09:33

My location
Mike
It would of been early 80,s I think. The only UBC vessel Ive seen in last few years is Baltic Tern a small container feeder vessel which runs into Gdynia in Poland fom UK
Old 22nd June 2007, 13:22

My location
Was on the Baltic osprey for around 18 months in the mid eighties(a small container boat)running fom tilbury to leningrad and occasionally gdynia.
They had 2 ro ro boats The eagle and The progress running to finland
Old 22nd June 2007, 14:05

united baltic corp.

nice to see a bit of up to date banter about this company.
I have had things come to mind about the Baltic Importer, particularly some of the escapades of the Skipper, I can't remember his name, if I remember correctly he was a smallish chap who liked a drink........or two........!

I recall this particular day we had just set sail on another trip, we were coming down the Thames, probably from Surrey Commercial Dock, a place that use to be heaving with ships back then, this would have been the late 60's...........what is it now......Marina,......... filled in and made into office space........or heavens forbid a car park.........oh, I digress........nostalgic melancholy I guess.........or the disgust at how the fine Merchant Navy has been allowed to disintegrate in this country,..........so back to the story...........
......so we were sailing down the Thames with the pilot on board.
I was in the galley with the cook preparing that evenings grub, all of a sudden all the pans on the stove swung over to one side, it was as though we were doing a sharp right.
I rushed out of the galley onto deck, there directly in front of us was a 'train' of barges, were they called lighters?, anyway there's 5or 6 of them and we're steaming right for them.
We hit one, it went partially under the water, then popped back out like a cork would do if you held it under water then let it back up.
We could only guess that the old man had been on the juice, from what we were told later on he had thrown the pilot off of the bridge, and that was the consequence of his actions.
Never a dull moment you might say.

Another little memory from that ship, the cook and the chief steward had a nice little earner going on there selling ciggys.
There was a companionway in the galley that led down to the fridges, at the bottom of the companionway you could take the end of the runner to each side of the steps, this space ran right the way up each side of the steps, they use to load this space with cigs and maybe booze.
They were going for ages, then one day a customs officer decided to take the end cap off, there was nothing stashed........but one carton of cigs had previously got caught at an angle and the customs managed to get it out.
They couldn't prove anything as it was a brand we had stopped selling a while back.
Imagine my indignation though when I got caught with 200, fined £10 which was the best part of 2 weeks wage!

Happy days eh.

Ray.
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:16

My location
Ubc

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgreggie View Post

Another little memory from that ship, the cook and the chief steward had a nice little earner going on there selling ciggys.

Ray.
Hi Ray,
We all had a little scam going in my days on the "Baltic Viking", Chewing gum. Latvia was part of the USSR then and chewing gum was unavailable. The Ch/Steward/Cook used to get it for us from the ships chandlers in UK, it cost us 50 pence for a big carton and we could get 5 roubles for it off the dockers. A rouble= £1 in those days, we were loaded but as we couldn't change it back into Sterling we had to spend it in Riga. We used to drink Russian champagne up in the International Club as the beer was crap.

We had to be careful going ashore though as sometimes we were searched at the dock gate. We stuffed our roubles into our ties and pushed them right in so that they were at the back of our necks. They would have wanted to know where we got all the roubles from if we were caught.

I think that I know the Skipper you refer to as we had a similar one on the "Baltic Express".

All the best....Alec.
Old 22nd June 2007, 15:52

u.b.c,

hi just finished reading the posts.on ubc,i sailed as galley boy on the vanguard from11/3/75to5/8/75 mainly up to finland via the kiel canal, for news print,returning to either depthford,felixstowe,blyth and grangemouth, and tyne dock.occasionally we went to gdansk in poland, and i think we were also in drydock for a while in hull,wondered if any other members were on her the same time as me and when her final demise occured.
regards connie.
Old 22nd June 2007, 22:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
Hi notnila,
The "Baltic Express" that I sailed on was broken up in India in 1984.

Trader.
Hi Trader, I realise that it couldn't be the same vessel.As most Companies repeat ships names,I wondered if the Company is still operating having "flagged out".
Regards Arch/notnila
Old 23rd June 2007, 00:10

My location
Anyone remember bosun (Budgie) Alias michael wood

Osprey in eighties....can`t remember his history
Old 23rd June 2007, 05:42

I remember going to the foreign currency shop inside the gate at either Riga or Klaipeda, not sure which, and being served by a bloke with what sounded to me like a Hull accent. I commented on his good command of English and he said: "I ought to have, I'm the cook of the Baltic ....(?)!"

John T.