Holt's Wharf - Ships Nostalgia
07:46

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Holt's Wharf

User Tag List

Old 10th August 2006, 12:52

Holt's Wharf

I think Holt's Wharf was Blue Funnel wasn't it? The attached photo is c.1961. (bugger, it's too large to load - anyone who wants to see it e-mail me [email protected]).

Greetings from Hong Kong. I'm in the marine police, and doing a bit of research into 20th century maritime stuff - concentrating on my lot obviously, the RN and also some of the major lines and docks.

I would love to hear about the routines you fellas had before the advent of containers - where you anchored, how long you stayed, where you drank and any interesting tales.

Any photos of police launches would also be gladly received. TY.

All the best.
Old 10th August 2006, 13:20
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Cool

JMAW, welcome to SN. I am sure that you will get plenty of replies and info from the members.
Regards
Hawkey01
Old 10th August 2006, 13:25
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome jmaw from the south of England, plenty of Blue Flu members here, no doubt the answers will soon start flowing in. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer.
Old 10th August 2006, 14:03
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy your stay
Old 10th August 2006, 20:27

My location
Another welcome to SN Jmaw.

You can only paste small pictures in a thread - the place to upload to is the Gallery. You can also put a cross reference in this thread afterwards if you like by getting the uploaded picture on the screen, using CTRL-C to copy the address of it from the address bar, then add it to a posting by using the little symbol that looks like the globe with a pair of sunglasses in front. PM me if you are not sure what I am on about.

Regards,

Brian
Old 10th August 2006, 21:01
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
When I was there we anchored out and discharged,except one time we docked at Cowloon. I did my drinking in the Union Jack Club at the navy base.
John
Old 10th August 2006, 23:15
Active: 1952 - 1989

My location
Blue Funnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaw
I think Holt's Wharf was Blue Funnel wasn't it? The attached photo is c.1961.

I would love to hear about the routines you fellas had before the advent of containers - where you anchored, how long you stayed, where you drank and any interesting tales.

All the best.
Hi jmaw,

I was with Blue Funnel from 1952/1956. Outward bound to Japan we unloaded at the wharf in Kowloon, not far from Star Ferry if I remember right. Homeward bound we always anchored in the bay and loaded from junks. I have some photos somewhere, I must dig 'em out.

With regards drinking, the Kowloon Bar comes to mind and the Union Jack club. We also used to go up Nathan road for shopping and some good bars down the back streets. Can't remember the names, mind you it is over half a century ago.

I remember the barber coming aboard, 100 fags for a haircut. Also the tailors flogging shark skin suits and Arrow shirts. An old Chinese lady, Mary, used to come aboard and take all the slops from the mess room for her chickens etc.
There was also a sew, sew lady who would do any sewing and patching or ironing for you. Happy days.

Alec.
Old 11th August 2006, 03:03

Hello fellas,

Thanks for the welcome and info, much appreciated.

Hong Kong must've been an excellent trip in the 1950s/60s - it seems the whole world was better then, or am I just being overly nostalgic? Mind you, 100 tabs for a haircut seems a bit steep - but then again haircuts only take me 2 minutes!

I am sure you will know - but just in case - there's a very good page on the Blue Funnel Line at....... http://iancoombe.tripod.com/id25.html.

Cheers for now,

Jim
Old 11th August 2006, 13:32

My location
I forgot to mention the Junks that came along side at night,they had the most prettiest young women on-board, and dressed in the nice long dress with the split down the side. Half a century it maybe but I can still remember those nights and the ladies of the night.
John
Old 11th August 2006, 15:55

Holts wharf

Quote:
Originally Posted by R58484956
Welcome jmaw from the south of England, plenty of Blue Flu members here, no doubt the answers will soon start flowing in. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer.
Mant good memories this wharf, at the bottom of Nathan road, meant could go ashore without messing about with water taxis. John Garner ex Sparks
Old 11th August 2006, 18:03

My location
Water Taxis John!! I thought you Sparkies walked on water.
Only kidding.
John.
Old 14th August 2006, 23:37

Holts Wharf was on Salisbury Road, Kowloon - turn left off Nathan Road and it was about 350 yards on the right. Was in HK about five years ago and it had vanished! Replaced by high rises on reclaimed land!

Blue Flue and Glen Line used to discharge there and homeward bound load from junks at anchor. That's another mystery, what's happened to all the junks in HK?

Good watering holes in Kowloon - can't remember the names, but The President Hotel, Nathan Road, Kowloon was one, the Red Dragon, Nathan Road was another. For good food, also in Kowloon, was Jimmy's Kitchen.

Does anyone remember Mary Tam Choy - a tailoress who made the best uniforms you could lay your hands on?!
Old 15th August 2006, 16:17
Department: Navigation
Active: 1958 - 1968

Holt's Wharf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorw
Holts Wharf was on Salisbury Road, Kowloon - turn left off Nathan Road and it was about 350 yards on the right. Was in HK about five years ago and it had vanished! Replaced by high rises on reclaimed land!

Does anyone remember Mary Tam Choy - a tailoress who made the best uniforms you could lay your hands on?!
Yes, she made me a 3 piece suit for 3 overnight in 1959. Always good for a free Coke in her shop on your way up Nathan Road.

I returned to HK last year and tried to see Holt's Wharf but there's a gigantic shopping centre called Harbour City on it now. (See posting in the Gallery)
Old 16th August 2006, 13:46

Yes, you're 100% correct gents - (Alfred) Holt's Wharf was bought by New World Development in about 1972 and the wharf demolished. A hotel and shopping complex was built on the site. The Kowloon-Canton Railway Co.'s terminus just next door was closed in 1975.

Jimmy's Kitchen - founded in 1928 - is still going, and they have restaurants in both Tsim Sha Tsui and Central. The bars you fellas speak of probably have long gone, I say probably as I haven't been a regular in TST for over 15yrs - but does anyone remember the 'Wally Mat', a.k.a. Waltzing Matilda?

Attached is a photo looking south over Kowloon taken in about 2003. I suppose one can marvel at man's progress and simultaneously be slightly sad for what's gone.

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c-harb-2003.jpg (118.8 KB, 206 views)

Last edited by jmaw; 16th August 2006 at 13:53..
Old 16th August 2006, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaw
Yes, you're 100% correct gents - (Alfred) Holt's Wharf was bought by New World Development in about 1972 and the wharf demolished. A hotel and shopping complex was built on the site. The Kowloon-Canton Railway Co.'s terminus just next door was closed in 1975.

Jimmy's Kitchen - founded in 1928 - is still going, and they have restaurants in both Tsim Sha Tsui and Central. The bars you fellas speak of probably have long gone, I say probably as I haven't been a regular in TST for over 15yrs - but does anyone remember the 'Wally Mat', a.k.a. Waltzing Matilda?

Attached is a photo looking south over Kowloon taken in about 2003. I suppose one can marvel at man's progress and simultaneously be slightly sad for what's gone.

Cheers.
Do I remember the Waltzing Matilda! Correct me if I'm wrong - up Nathan Road and 2nd or 3rd on the right! HK$320 to take the girl out of the bar for the evening!
Old 10th September 2006, 12:42

My location
Holt's Wharf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorw

Blue Flue and Glen Line used to discharge there and homeward bound load from junks at anchor. That's another mystery, what's happened to all the junks in HK?

Good watering holes in Kowloon - can't remember the names, but The President Hotel, Nathan Road, Kowloon was one, the Red Dragon, Nathan Road was another. For good food, also in Kowloon, was Jimmy's Kitchen.

YES, I do! I first went alongside Holt's Wharf in the GLENFINLAS sometime in March 1946 and one of the first people I met coming on board was Tam King and her two younger sisters, Tam Choi and Tam Chen. The one referred to by Cheddarnibbles as Mary Tam Choy I am sure was, in fact, Tam Chen. She was the youngest and in 1946 was 16 years old.
Would it surprise you to know that she visited me here in Cornwall on the 27th May, 1994! Well. she did, in the company of her daughter Rita (Cheng Wing Ling).
This came about from my having heard that one of the sisters had died, and in order to discover which one I wrote, condolences to be forwarded, to Harry Lee, the taylor. He replied, saying that he was out of touch with that family but he would try to contact. I heard nothing for several months until one morning I took a 'phone call from Hong Kong! Imagine my astonishment at finding myself speaking to Tam Chen.
The reason I had had no response to my letter was on account of her having emigrated, in order to be with her 2 sons & 2 daughters, to the U.S.A. and it was only on account of a return visit to Hong Kong that she then received my letter. Sadly, both her sisters and her husband, Jackie Cheng, taylor, had died. She then simply amazed me by saying that she and Rita were coming to U.K., could she visit!?!? So she did for 3 whole days and it was wonderful to see such a familiar face again; I recognised her immediately.
I think that the suit was made for you by her husband, Jacky Cheng.
I recently received a most moving letter from her in San Jose (where she lives), telling how much she owed to the ships and their crews. She told me how it had provided a living which began in very hard times (her father had died when she was 4 years old) in 1946. She wrote about how she had made so very many friends, and she had even met her husband on board a Blue Funnel ship. She is getting old now, like so many of us, but keeps reasonably well. She is now a grandmother several times over but still gets around: she has recently been to China for the funeral of her mother-in-law.
Yours, Hugh Ferguson.
Old 10th September 2006, 13:16

My location
Thats a great story Hugh,friends for life it appears.
John
Old 22nd September 2006, 07:26

A lovely story Hugh.
You might be suprised to hear I still have a suit in my wardrobe made by Jacky in 1969. Light weight with a waistcoat and bonnie it is too. Dont ask me why I kept it.
It just makes me think of all my dear old Shipmates whenever I pull it out for a look. Holt's wharf was named after Alfred Holt, no longer there but there is a few shots of it in the Hulton Getty Photograph Archive. Thanks Hugh!
Old 22nd September 2006, 18:49

Hong Kong Wharf

Iwas in Blue Funnel in the 50,s and being reminded of Jimmy's Kitchen brings back vivid memories of rickshaw races up and down Nathan Road.
Lots of fun. Any rickshaws there now?
Keith Branton
Old 24th September 2006, 06:22

Jacky Tailor

Thanks again Hugh,
I would love to see that Photograph of your meeting with your old pals from HK. I managed to get a pic of the suit I bought in HK in the late sixties. Hope it works.

All the best,

Succour.
Old 24th September 2006, 13:15

My location
O.K. will do. Hugh.
Old 27th September 2006, 12:14

My location
Send me your E.mail address and I'll forward a copy. Hugh.
Mine is:- [email protected]
Old 14th January 2007, 18:59
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ferguson View Post
YES, I do! I first went alongside Holt's Wharf in the GLENFINLAS sometime in March 1946 and one of the first people I met coming on board was Tam King and her two younger sisters, Tam Choi and Tam Chen. The one referred to by Cheddarnibbles as Mary Tam Choy I am sure was, in fact, Tam Chen. She was the youngest and in 1946 was 16 years old.
Would it surprise you to know that she visited me here in Cornwall on the 27th May, 1994! Well. she did, in the company of her daughter Rita (Cheng Wing Ling).
This came about from my having heard that one of the sisters had died, and in order to discover which one I wrote, condolences to be forwarded, to Harry Lee, the taylor. He replied, saying that he was out of touch with that family but he would try to contact. I heard nothing for several months until one morning I took a 'phone call from Hong Kong! Imagine my astonishment at finding myself speaking to Tam Chen.
The reason I had had no response to my letter was on account of her having emigrated, in order to be with her 2 sons & 2 daughters, to the U.S.A. and it was only on account of a return visit to Hong Kong that she then received my letter. Sadly, both her sisters and her husband, Jackie Cheng, taylor, had died. She then simply amazed me by saying that she and Rita were coming to U.K., could she visit!?!? So she did for 3 whole days and it was wonderful to see such a familiar face again; I recognised her immediately.
I think that the suit was made for you by her husband, Jacky Cheng.
I recently received a most moving letter from her in San Jose (where she lives), telling how much she owed to the ships and their crews. She told me how it had provided a living which began in very hard times (her father had died when she was 4 years old) in 1946. She wrote about how she had made so very many friends, and she had even met her husband on board a Blue Funnel ship. She is getting old now, like so many of us, but keeps reasonably well. She is now a grandmother several times over but still gets around: she has recently been to China for the funeral of her mother-in-law.
Yours, Hugh Ferguson.
The first time i visited Hong Kong was in 1961 i flew out to join an old tramp the [Worthy Down ] Manns of London they only had 2 ships , i was 2nd trip A.B. i can still remember it as if it was yesterday i walked into Prescott st pool the fella behind the jump said "A.B. wanted to join the Worthy Down in Borneo " so i says to him "Borneo wheres Borneo " " south america " says he " i,ll take her " i said , as i was walking to the company office in whittington ave just of leadenhall st i thought to myself " Borneo thats not in south america it,s north of Australia but what do i care i,m going on a plane ride " big thing in 1961 , anyhow i ended up joining her in Hong Kong , i got more than i bargained for i paid off sick in Shanghai 3 months later again i was flown back home [ long story ] after visiting the far east i knew i wanted to get back out there but not to many ships out of London pool went out east , i ended up with Blue Funnel great shipping company , anyhow i started to read this thread with regards to Jacky tailor it was only a few days back that i opened my wardrobe and there as plain as day was one off jacky tailor,s wooden coathangers , i had that suit [ long gone ] made on the Antilochus in 1964 even that suit had a story attached to it some time later in Buenos Aires i wont bore you with that but i must say it was great to read about Jacky and also the sew sew ladies i can see them now when they came aboard Blue Funnel ships they used to call out " sew sew la " thanks for the memories .
Old 14th January 2007, 22:24

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by DURANGO View Post
The first time i visited Hong Kong was in 1961 i flew out to join an old tramp the [Worthy Down ] Manns of London they only had 2 ships , i was 2nd trip A.B. i can still remember it as if it was yesterday i walked into Prescott st pool the fella behind the jump said "A.B. wanted to join the Worthy Down in Borneo " so i says to him "Borneo wheres Borneo " " south america " says he " i,ll take her " i said , as i was walking to the company office in whittington ave just of leadenhall st i thought to myself " Borneo thats not in south america it,s north of Australia but what do i care i,m going on a plane ride " big thing in 1961 , anyhow i ended up joining her in Hong Kong , i got more than i bargained for i paid off sick in Shanghai 3 months later again i was flown back home [ long story ] after visiting the far east i knew i wanted to get back out there but not to many ships out of London pool went out east , i ended up with Blue Funnel great shipping company , anyhow i started to read this thread with regards to Jacky tailor it was only a few days back that i opened my wardrobe and there as plain as day was one off jacky tailor,s wooden coathangers , i had that suit [ long gone ] made on the Antilochus in 1964 even that suit had a story attached to it some time later in Buenos Aires i wont bore you with that but i must say it was great to read about Jacky and also the sew sew ladies i can see them now when they came aboard Blue Funnel ships they used to call out " sew sew la " thanks for the memories .
See her photograph (just posted) in the Life on Board section.
Old 15th January 2007, 06:18

My location
Hope all you Alfie Holt blokes remember that the Ben Line also ran to Hong Kong and Ben Line also had their own Wharf at Kowloon, can remember being on Benvrackie (ex SamAffric) with both anchors down going full ahead, 10 knots on a Liberty during a Typhoon , quite a frightening experience. A Dutch
ship was flung high and dry on Rushcutters that time. Pubs were the Red Lion
and also Jimmy's, the Matilda came later. The best thing was that Milk Bar
just outside the Gate, a genuine milk shake tasted great after afew months
on a tin of condensed. I always thought that Mary collected the messroom scraps to sell to the restaurants to be made in to chop suey!!!
Revisited Honkers the year the place was handed back and it certainly had changed a lot.
Ern Barrett