Manxman - Ships Nostalgia
21:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Manxman

User Tag List

Old 18th October 2006, 09:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering

Manxman

Two items of news. The long awaited review meeting with Merseyside's great and good is now scheduled for early November.

Also Sea Breezes are to publish (in two parts) the story of the ship and the project to date. The first going on sale next week, 23 October

Bill
Old 5th January 2007, 13:37

Much has happened in recent weeks and an update is now appropriate.

One of the key outcomes of the review meeting held in Liverpool during November was the statement from NW Regional Development Agency that, before embarking on any major funding proposal, it would be necessary to carry out an independent Sustainability Study into the long term financial viability of the project; which would confirm our existing projections.

The Trust made application to NWDA for financial backing of this study and, I’m delighted to advise, the bid was accepted.

Tenders have been invited from a wide range of consultancy organisations and the timetable requires submissions to be received by 12 January, an interim report by 16 February and a final report by 23 February.

The project is “coming back to life”, but we also recognise that time is not on our side and continue in the hope that we can pre-empt any dramatic action by the present owners of Manxman

Bill
Old 5th January 2007, 20:13
user

Very good news indeed Bill.

Lets hope that 2007 will prove to be Manxmans' year. I eagerly look forward to the results as I expect you do too.

She would be a crowd puller without a doubt ( I will be first in the queue )and something that the River Mersey needs to remind people of its history before it is all long forgotton thanks to ( spit ) Property Developers.

Chris.
Old 5th January 2007, 23:09

Lets hope she dosen't go the same way as the Duke in North Wales. I have heard somewhere that she is to be broken up on site, but I can't remember where I heard it.
Old 10th January 2007, 17:14

on this very site about three weeks ago,hawkeye.and although sad news,it doesn't supprise me one bit.
Old 4th March 2007, 08:32

Manxman

To let you know that the project is very much alive. Ship is now back in the Pallion undercover dry dock so is hopefully safe from further vandals and the weather. Scrapping her in the yard is now considered to be an option, but there is a lot of beaurocracy for the owners to deal with before that can happen.

More positively the interim consultants report on sustainability has been presented and shows that our original estimates were pretty accurate. The bottom line is that, if berthed at Birkenhead, a restored Manxman could be the focus of a successfull business which generated sufficient profit to fund ongoing maintenance and future development. The only proviso being that all purchase and restoration costs would need to be separately funded.

So it's onwards and, hopefully, upwards

Bill
Old 21st May 2007, 15:06

Manxman update

The Manxman project is still very much alive, but decisions must be made in the next weeks!

Funding awarded earlier this year by the North West Regional Development Agency permitted consultancy work which lead to some key independent statements.
1) Once restored, a static Manxman based at Birkenhead would be a viable and sustainable business
2) the core restoration costs are commercially sound
3) a recent hull survey has provided updated costs which allow for recent damage and deterioration.

The Trust is now in a position to properly address all of the questions raised by the Steering Group, and the above reports have been issued to members (and other possible funders) for their urgent consideration and action. In addition the Trust has been in direct contact with the owners, in Athens, and a short term arrangement is in place.
In support of this the Trust has set up a Public Meeting which will be Chaired by Professor Peter Toyne, former Vice Chancellor of Liverpool John Moores University; this will take place in Room 126 at India Buildings, Water Street, Liverpool on Wednesday 6th June, 2007, commencing at 5.15 for 5.30 pm

Bill Ogle
Old 28th June 2007, 17:05

Dear Bill,

1) Does your trust provide modellers with the Manxman's drawings (in 1/96 or 1/48) ? I would be very keen to purchase some. This could be a (modest) source of financial support for the Trust. If you don't have the structure to handle this trade, one solution is to have Model boats or Marine modelling sell the plans for you and give you royalties on the accrued sales.

2) Related to this, I am considering offering to the public a ready made mode of the Manxman through a friend who owns a boat model workshop. The detail level of the model would obviously depends upon the intended Public price. Model would be fully built, painted to its true colors and ready for display and /or R/C integration. Scale probably 1/96. The issue is that understandably, creating the first few samples need to put some money (10 times the price of the mass production model)

The key idea is that if the trust is willing to support us in this step, we would give them a certain amount of money (say 10&#163 for each sold model.

3) I should however say 3 unpleasant things :
A) Nothing can tell us how successful such a model could be , UK being the primary intended market. At best 100 models could find an owner over a certain period of time (RRP = 400-800£ depending on detail level +VAT.). at worst, maybe less than 10.

B) The question mark of the UK distribution is raised

C) This is a medium term project : If go ahead, first models may strike the market in about 18 months. and many "if" to overcome.

If you believe this project to be of any interest at this stage, I would need your support in helping me get the ships drawings and many good pictures of every outside part of the ship in order to assess the model development costs.

4) in Summary, this contribution to your trust won't certainly match even a fraction of your needs, but I wish to raise people awareness of the Manxman and all the work of the people like yourself who tiredlessly struggle to save Britain's beautiful craftmanship from oblivion.

Pls don't hesitate to PM me should you want to discuss more into details

All the best to you and your endeavours
Old 18th October 2007, 09:44

Manxman

Just wondering whether there is any further news on the Manxman have not heard anything for a while. Thanks
Old 23rd January 2008, 11:09

Just touching base as to further news of progress with the preservation of the Manxman.
Old 1st February 2008, 10:14

Does anyone know what has happened to the Manxman - even the wbb page now seems to have dissapeared.
Old 26th April 2008, 02:10

The Manxman project ended a few months ago due to lack of funds. The former members are supporting a project for preservation in America instead, although in a different manner.

http://www.manxman.xtreemhost.com/news/news.htm
Old 27th April 2008, 08:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxships View Post
The Manxman project ended a few months ago due to lack of funds. The former members are supporting a project for preservation in America instead, although in a different manner.

http://www.manxman.xtreemhost.com/news/news.htm
The fact is that the Manxman project is being wound up because we were unable to secure arrangements for a long term berth on Merseyside; without that support from Peel Holdings (owners of the dock estates) or the local councils then no major funding could be made available.
Also re the US interest, as a charitable trust we cannot formally participate.
Old 4th May 2008, 05:27

Hello Bill

I am flabagasted by learning that Local authorities won't even move a finger to allow this endeavour. Of course, I prefer the Manxman to be saved in US rather than scrapped.

I wish to sincerely thank you for all the energy you and other enthusiasts put into saving this piece of engineering. Your really worked out to have a dream of the best of Britain come true. I really wish I could do something on my side.

The US are very strong in preservation. For instance They are keeping their remaining four battleships with care and respect, whereas we were so hasty to have all ours disappear.
Old 4th May 2008, 07:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchiu View Post
Hello Bill

I am flabagasted by learning that Local authorities won't even move a finger to allow this endeavour. Of course, I prefer the Manxman to be saved in US rather than scrapped.

I wish to sincerely thank you for all the energy you and other enthusiasts put into saving this piece of engineering. Your really worked out to have a dream of the best of Britain come true. I really wish I could do something on my side.

The US are very strong in preservation. For instance They are keeping their remaining four battleships with care and respect, whereas we were so hasty to have all ours disappear.
Thanks for your kind comments.
Unbelievingly I still cannot say what the outcome will be. The US interest doesn't seem to have progressed, nor has dismantling her started as yet.
Will post to the site when one does take place.
Old 5th May 2008, 03:40

Hello Bill

Do you know if someone could tour the ship and take as many good detail pictures of her. As I wish to make a model of her I would personally need deck, superstructure, funnel, lifeboats, weelhouse pics. There are some on your web site already, but they don't completely cover all the ship and they don't seem to be high resolution.

We are seeing an endangered species disappearing right in front of our eyes, and I fear that in a too close future, pictures will be our only remaining legacy. For this reason, I thought it would be necessary to make a high resolution photographic collection of her with a good DSLR.

I would be grateful if you could help me pass the word through other fellow members /Ship enthusiast asking for a volunteer. I would be too happy to oblige but my financial situation prevents me from flying to UK.

I could post a message on shipspotting.com , but I don't know if access to the ship is restricted and would need appointment /authorisation

Thank you

Valery
Old 6th May 2008, 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchiu View Post
Hello Bill

Do you know if someone could tour the ship and take as many good detail pictures of her. As I wish to make a model of her I would personally need deck, superstructure, funnel, lifeboats, weelhouse pics. There are some on your web site already, but they don't completely cover all the ship and they don't seem to be high resolution.

We are seeing an endangered species disappearing right in front of our eyes, and I fear that in a too close future, pictures will be our only remaining legacy. For this reason, I thought it would be necessary to make a high resolution photographic collection of her with a good DSLR.

I would be grateful if you could help me pass the word through other fellow members /Ship enthusiast asking for a volunteer. I would be too happy to oblige but my financial situation prevents me from flying to UK.

I could post a message on shipspotting.com , but I don't know if access to the ship is restricted and would need appointment /authorisation

Thank you

Valery
Valery
We did have such a collection taken two years ago, but they are held by the Liverpool Daily Post who will not release them to us. Similarly BBC filmed on board last year for the programme Inside Out (which is now on Youtube); however only 7 minutes from several hours of filming was broadcast. The BBC said they'd provide us with a copy of all they had taken, but didn't and do not reply to requests

Access to the ship is very restricted but I have been advised that we could make a final visit and would repeat the exercise

I do have scans of some original drawings if your are interested, the rigging plan and general arrangements of each of the decks

With thanks for your comments and interest

Bill
Old 7th May 2008, 05:55

Dear Bill
yes I am definitely interested by scans of the original drawings.
And if you can make a final tour, I guess this won't be a very happy moment but it will leave us with pictures that will become invaluable when she is not around anymore.

Thank you very much indeed

Valery
Old 5th December 2008, 11:51

Does anyone know what finally happend to the Manxman is it still in Sunderland or did it go to the breakers.
Old 5th December 2008, 12:59

Still under cover in the Pallion yard
Old 9th December 2008, 09:36

Pat thanks for that, but is there any clue to what its future is.
Old 10th December 2008, 08:55

Yes, she's still in the covered dry dock at Pallion, but the future of the US based bid is now unclear.
It may be that an alternative to scrapping is now available, but I have no confirmation
The Manxman Trust is in the throes of winding up and will shortly announce which charity will receive its residual funds. You will recall that the provisional offer of a berth at Birkenhead was withdrawn by Peel Holdings when they took over the Mersey Docks Company, in spite of rumours that position is unchanged.
It has to be recognised that the restoration costs continue to climb, in spite of significant reductions in steel pricing, because her condition continues to deteriorate. In the present climate the chance of raising in excess of 7.5m is not good.
The Trust is planning to advise interested groups of the final outcome when that is known, but are not in favour of responding to rumours.
Sorry that the information is still so vague

Bill
Old 29th December 2008, 09:34
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

My location
Hello Bill would it be possible for me to come and take some pictures of the Manxman in Sunderland. Thanks
Old 30th December 2008, 07:41

Hello

The Trust doesn't actually own the ship and I know that the dry dock owners at Sunderland do not now allow visitors. In fact there is no gangway fitted and nobody goes on board.

We are having major problems with our web site at present but do intend to load more pictures

As an alternative if the visit youtube and search on Manxman you will find several videos of her including last years BBC TV broadcast

Bill
Old 3rd January 2009, 09:14

Recently there has been a spate of rumours saying that Peel Holdings are now interested in making provision for Manxman at Birkenhead.
As part of the winding up process the Manxman Steamship Company has written to ask Peel Holdings if their position has changed. The very clear reply states that “their position is unchanged”. i.e. “Manxman is inappropriate”.

Our web site at www.ssmanxman.co.uk is now reactivated and we apologise for being “off line” for so long, as well as the now abbreviated format.

We will however seek to provide relevant information regarding the winding up, as well as the ultimate fate of Manxman.

Bill Ogle Manxman Steamship Company

Last edited by oglebilluk; 3rd January 2009 at 11:57.. Reason: correct error