Temple Hall / Telamon - Ships Nostalgia
02:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Temple Hall / Telamon

User Tag List

Old 28th November 2014, 07:11

My location
Temple Hall / Telamon

In 2007 I posted a photograph of the ex Temple Hall and latterly the Telemon wrecked on a beach near Arrecife, Lanzarote. I have just come across an article written by somebody that lives on the island:

It’s hard to pass the Telamon at the moment, knowing that this iconic landmark is going to disappear from Lanzarote in the near future.
She’s been part of our coastline between Arrecife and Costa Teguise since a storm in October 1981 took it’s toll on the dilapidated boat, forcing the crew to beach her next to the Puerto de Los Mármoles.

Recuperadora Lanzaroteña have already presented the definitive documentation to the Autoridad Portuaria de Las Palmas with the intention to scrap the vessel from this autumn. The company will dismantle the Telamon, the materials from which, will be shipped to the Peninsula for scrap value. Apparently the port authority wanted the ship recovered as it could prove to be a danger for people who venture into the wreck.

The first stage of the project will be to construct a small dock on the beach to support a crane, then the ship will be dismantled in the new year.

It seems a shame to move her after 33 years, what do you think, is she a landmark, an eyesore or safety hazard?

Hopefully the following link will take you to the photo I posted:
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...-sight/cat/500
Old 28th November 2014, 10:42

Welcome to SN, Banni. There have been a few photos of Temple Hall posted in the gallery.

Lamberts had another Temple Hall when they were part of Scottish Ship Management. This ship was chartered to Briitsh Phosphate Commisioners and transported phosphate from Christmas Island, Nauru and Ocean Island to Australia and New Zealand. See Scottish Ship Management website.

JohnT
Old 28th November 2014, 13:19
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1977 - 1980

Not Long back from Lanzarote.
Took coast road bike run down to Airport to photograph planes coming in low. never saw her, maybe other side of Arrecife.
I was in Porto del Carmen.
Jim
Old 28th November 2014, 22:23

My location
Thank you for the welcome trotterdotpom, I have been here since 2005!!
Jim the wreck is on the road between Arrecife and Costa Teguise, at the moment you are diverted passed the wreck because of road upgrading otherwise the main road goes inland to Costa Teguise, when the road is complete. It is also near the main entrance to the Cruise terminal.
Old 29th November 2014, 00:52

Sorry Banni, got mixed up with # 1 at the top of your post.

There was a ship called "Cherry Venture" aground at Rainbow Beach, Queensland, for over 30 years. She became a bit of a tourist attraction but ended up being too dangerous and was removed a couple of years ago. Similar situation to Telamon - a lot of folk were sorry to see her go.

John T
Old 29th November 2014, 07:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1998

My location
Tied up to the jungle stern to stern with her at Sapele in the 1950's. Sticks in the memory as we made pals with their apprentices and chatted across the space daily. Their senior app. jumped off the stern into the creek for a dare one day, he swam round to the gangway ok without the crocs realizing the chance of a long pig meal !
Sad to see her now

Mike