The Dutch Ceres was one of a large class of good looking freighters built for KNSM. Sadly they had been only irregular visitors to London but in 1971 she found herself in the KGV Dock. Built 1959 she was 6,235 gr tons.
The Ceres had been towing the David F from Londonderry to Milford Haven after the latter had been sunk in Lough Foyle and salvaged. Off the south of the Isle of Man the Ceres developed fuel problems and both were towed into Peel by the Salisbury. Later the Salisbury towed the David F to Holyhead and
Ketch Ceres crossing the bar on her entrance to Bude Harbour. Built at Salcombe, Devon, in 1811, and began by trading to Spain, more than once having narrow escapes from French privateers. In the years 1813 and 14 she was Goverment employed, carrying military stores for Wellington's Peninsular war o