Diesel electric built and now on display at Chatham Historic Dockyard. These engines generated electrical power only, no direct drive.
They could also charge 300 tons of battery which made these subs very quiet when they needed to be.
Very tight sub to walk through.
Taken November 2017.
RFAs **** and BACCHUS berthed in Chatham. This was an unusual event, naturally enough, when they were regularly running to Singapore via various Naval, Army and RAF bases, through the Med or via the Cape.
Photographed at Chatham Navy Day on 28 May 1978, laid up and with dehumidification process in place hence all opening sealed to the atmosphere
1965 to 1972 : Operated as a Heavy Repair Ship- Major alterations were made and all facilities for operating fixed wing aircraft were removed. The principal
Photographed inChatham Dockyard on 28 May 1979 on Navy Day
Formerly a Danish vessel, the Anita Dan, built in 1956 by Grogerwerft for the Lauritzen Lines, she was the first Royal Navy vessel named Endurance. Acquired by the Royal Navy in 1967, she was converted by Harland &amp; Wolff and renamed
HMS Cavalier entering Chatham in July 1972 to decommission for the final time
Photo from Naval News Summary publication of Aug 1972, copyright free
HMS Cavalier (D73) is a C-class destroyer of the Royal Navy. She was laid down by J. Samuel White and Company at East Cowes on 28 March 1943, launch