Seen in London's Royal Albert Dock, the City of Coventry was Tyne built by Swan Hunter at Wallsend in 1949. At 7,568 gr tons she was one of a popular businesslike class of steamers one of which was particularly retained for Sir John Ellerman's South African visits.
Taken at Napier, c.1962, with those famous, unmistakeable cliffs of Bluff Hill. Apologies for poor quality of negative--too much adrenalin, cheap Brownie camera.
City of Coventry
Built: 1949 Swan, Hunter and Wigham Richardson, Wallsend
1967: Sold to Austin Nav.Corp...
One of twelve sisters for Ellerman Group, "City of Coventry" was completed by Swan Hunter for Hall Line in 1949. In 1967 she was sold to Liberian owners and renamed "Ingrid", 1969 "Annie" and in 1970 was broken up in Taiwan.