21st Novembet 1939. HMS Belfast preceded by HMS Afridi is towed by Tugs through the gate in the boom off inchkeith on her way to Rosyth after being mined off the May Island early in WW2
W/C 23 X 10
Pilot being brought out to Devonia in the Firth of Forth, near the end of a marvellous ornithological cruise that had started at Greenock and taken in Ailsa Craig, Rum, St Kilda, Sula Sgeir, Foula and Noss in Shetland, Orkney, Isle of May, etc. Jul 1966.
The inner Firth of Forth looking directly west.
The point of view is the roads of Leith, the port of Edinburgh. To the left we see the port installations of Leith, overtopped by the Pentland Hills. Going further to the right there is the peninsula of Hound Point, and lying offshore the flat island