The German Sperrbrecher 180 (= mine destruction vessel) seen here going astern in the port of Brest in 1944.
The Sperrbrecher 180 (1906 grt/878 nrt) was originally the Dutch motor vessel Midas built in 1941 and seized by the Kriegsmarine for the use as a Sperrbrecher. Midas belonged to the 101 espe
s/s 'Hector' of Blue Funnel Line, Liverpool.
Built 1949 by Harland and Wolff, Belfast.
Of 10,125 grt steamship 18.5 kts.
Merseyside in 1961.
One of a group of 'H' class sisters and was actually launched by the then P.M. Clement Atlee.
Used mainly on the Aussie trades.
Broken up at Kaohsiung in 1