Completed in 1948 for the French Government as Venissieus by Burrard Dry Dock Co. Ltd., Vancouver, Canada. Purchased by BHP in August 1955 and renamed Iron Knight, the second company ship of that name. During her time with the fleet she carried a total of 2,500,000, tons of cargo. Towed in company w
Iron Knight, built at Lithgows on the Clyde, arrives at Whyalla ,1937. Because of soot problems on the first two ships, the funnel on Iron Knight and later , Iron Chieftan, were extended by 14 feet. The funnels of the first two were increased at Australian shipyards later.