Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of an EBay " attic find" job lot I obtained a small model kit about 50 years old. It was made by Ark Models and is called "Privateer". It has a preshaped solid wooden hull about 35cms long, and virtually no paperwork or instructions. It is not really a scale model and it is quite crude, rather like the cheap ornamental "ship models" from China that today flood the market. I think I may be able to make a presentable model from it, though, with some detailing and proper rigging.
I think it is supposed to be a depiction of a late 17th /early 18th century vessel about 120 ft long. It has six small cannon on the upper main deck, and six on the poop, and is supposed to be some sort of pirate ship or privateer. It is drawn with a ship rig on three masts, but the mizzen spanker is undersized and looks ridiculous. I think a lateen mizzen would look much better. Does anyone know when the lateen mizzen went out of favour?
Also the kit's steering wheel arrangement is very unconvincing. Can anyone tell me when wheel steering came into general use to supersede the whipstaff?
I anyone is interested I will TRY to put some photos of it onto the site, but sadly that aspect of Ships Nostalgia seems to have been totally screwed in the "new format".

·
Premium Member
11,597 Posts
I am looking at the book: The 20 -gun ship BLANDFORD c. 1719. This sample is a 20 gun 6th Rate. The hull is approximately 98 ft. Your vessel is 120 ft and only 12 guns. For a privateer she would be very under-gunned. Anyhow, this book is one of the good series 'Anatomy of The Ship' and it would be a great reference for your vessel, especially for fittings, rigging, sails etc. This book was published in 1988. You can still find them on Amazon for about $58. I'm glad mine was new when I bought itm £14.
Search at Amazon.

Stephen

1 - 2 of 2 Posts