Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking for a BoT report for the sinking of 84544 Morning Star on 27th Oct 1882 off Vieuxboucau France. I have found 2 reports on this site taken from The Times , shown below, but want more info.

Old 31st May 2007, 19:33

Using a different search, found two more articles in The Times (the second introduces the possibility of casualties):

Tue, 31 Oct 1882
A telegram received through Reuter's agency from
Bayonne, states that the British steamer Morningston (?),
with 715 tons of ore on board, bound from Bilbao for
Rotterdam, was wrecked on Saturday morning on the coast
of Vieux-Boucau, in the Department of Les Landes. The
crew, consisting of 14 men, were saved, but the vessel and
cargo were lost.

Mon, 6 Nov 1882
A telegram received through Reuter's agency from
Bayonne, dated Nov. 4, states that the English steamer
Morning Star, from Bilbao for Rotterdam, which was
wrecked off Vieuxboucan (sic) on the 28th ult., has parted
amidships. Two of the crew are missing, and three others
were seriously injured.

regards,
Martin

The only mention I have of this on paper is in a copy of the Master and Mates Index and all it says is "Disch Bayonne by total wreck of vessel C..rect 24/12". If I search The National Archives for 84544 Morning Star it says "not found" which makes me think I'm doing something wrong.
Any help will be most welcome.

Thanks Alan.

·
Registered
258 Posts
The loss was widely reported in the British press - search British Newspapers online to find the information. The ship's master gave a detailed account of what took place, and there are indications that an enquiry was to be held. It looks like you'll have to search from 31 October 1882 through November to find what you're looking for.

Dave W

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The loss was widely reported in the British press - search British Newspapers online to find the information. The ship's master gave a detailed account of what took place, and there are indications that an enquiry was to be held. It looks like you'll have to search from 31 October 1882 through November to find what you're looking for.

Dave W
Thanks for that Dave, I went back to www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ and put in less information and got much better results, so 'less is more' as they say.

Alan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts