Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard on the BBC on Wednesday that although 1 in 5 of the UK population are disabled, only 1 in 10 of the BBC staff fall into this category and that steps would be taken to bring the staff percentage into line.
Now please, I am not trying to start a dispute over the rights and wrongs of selective employment of disabled staff, I am merely querying the stated 20 percent of the UK population being disabled.
This seems incredibly high.
Anyone with any better information than me?
Cheers Bob

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Many people who are classed as long term unemployed get shunted on to disability benefit.
Areas which suffer from mass redundancies often see a large increase in disability claims.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Under new rules being introduced in 2020 you can claim a disability badge, if you are clinically obese, suffer from autism, dyslexia etc etc, so the BBC should have no problem meeting their targets. It's a pity old age doesn't qualify you for a Blue Badge, being fairly fit even in your 80's excludes you, alas we will find no where to park as all the car parks and supermarkets will have to meet new disabled bay provisions. Even if I take my 60 year old daughter shopping I cannot park in the Parent and Child Bays !!

·
Registered
701 Posts
My wife has crohns disease which has finally been recognised as a disability. We applied for a blue badge because she has to park and run to the loo sometimes. Refused as she could walk. I can see both sides of the argument here but it strikes me if someone has pants full of poo they can't really walk.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I heard on the BBC on Wednesday that although 1 in 5 of the UK population are disabled, only 1 in 10 of the BBC staff fall into this category and that steps would be taken to bring the staff percentage into line.
Now please, I am not trying to start a dispute over the rights and wrongs of selective employment of disabled staff, I am merely querying the stated 20 percent of the UK population being disabled.
This seems incredibly high.
Anyone with any better information than me?
Cheers Bob
My initial reaction was to imagine BBC management going around their office with baseball bats to bring the staff percentage into line...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hi
My wife has a girl friend she has known since they were teenagers she is now 75
Her husband is out of it sinalty diabetes doesn’t know what day it is and when she applied for a blue badge for him she was told she could not have one as she was not on benefits that must be wrong surely
Granty

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi
My wife has a girl friend she has known since they were teenagers she is now 75
Her husband is out of it sinalty diabetes doesn’t know what day it is and when she applied for a blue badge for him she was told she could not have one as she was not on benefits that must be wrong surely
Granty
He obviously can't clam himself so needs help filling the claim forms in. It is him that is ill not her. If he is successful (I can't see why not) he then chooses who has the badge and drives him about. Citizens Advice is the place to start. That is how it was years ago. Maybe things have changed. If you don' ask you don't get. People are still wondering why so many claim disability benefit. Well the simple answer is 'In the old days they were not aware that they could'. Once places like Citizens Advice made it known that help was there for those who were entitled to special benefits things changed dramatically. What you are seeing now, is people claiming what they are entitled to. People in the old days suffered in silence.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys for the info. So the UK really has an enormously large population of disabled.
Cheers, Bob

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
I guess that a lot is in the definition of disablement.
I think I might be disabled due to hard of hearing , limited sight(cannot thread a needle anymore) , cannot lift a bag of cement anymore, and cannot drink more than a couple of pints, but if anyone says that I am in that state they might get a slap!

Bob

·
Registered
895 Posts
Gives them a degree of independence, which we would all hate to lose, at least tandem ones are banned in the UK, in Europe some of those tandem ones are as big as the original Mini and like ordinary motorists there are some very aggressive drivers. What I have noticed is that the majority of the users can sprint to the Bar and Buffet!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well this chap doesn't have the pleasure of sprinting anywhere or dashing about in a mobility scooter. Can't understand why they can't see he is unable to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
779 Posts
Last time I was in Teesside, half the population seemed to have walking sticks which were referred to as "dole poles".

John
I thought of them as ski poles, without snow. It was like a badge, "look at me, I'm disabled!". "Will you carry my bag up the gangway?" I couldn't refuse, and with my knackered knees, and fvcked lungs, I'd do so. The person would then skip up the gangway, without a problem, far fitter than me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts