Ships Nostalgia banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would appreciate any advice on anywhere that I can find records (preferably online) of application for Mate certification for someone who would have gone through this process between about 1935 and 1955. I know that they first went to sea in 1932, were a cabin boy in 1933 and were 1st Mate when they died at sea in 1956. I have their DOB, full name and discharge number. Looks like the records would be in BT318 but a search on the National Archives site did not reveal anything useful...
Hi Wendy, I am an 86 year old Master Mariner (retired ) We could go different routes to achieve the and pass the examinations/ I will explain my own and then give you the alternatives. 1. I passed an exam for a scholarship to Hull Trinity Houser Navigation School and studied maritime needs for 3 years.1948 to 1950.
2. I then spent 4 years in Tatems of Cardiff learning the practical needs of the ship I served on. (different ships different long spices was a saying then This was a requirement to sit for the second mates certificate of competency.) All certificates to Master was marked in London within the commonwealth as you could sit these in any commonwealth Country/ i.e. I sat for Mates and then Masters in New Zealand. When in the UKI the had it registered in my Masters Certificate through the Shipping Office /. I was determined to be the best Officer I could be by serving on many types of vessels possible in my lifetime .All Certificates were numbered and mine was NZ 2047.My exam papers sent for marking in London Through the NZ Marine Department. I should indicate to you that after 2nd. Mate a period of 2 years sea time was needed to sit for !st. Mates Certificate of Competency Then 18 Months sea time to sit for Masters. I served on all types of vessels in the coal trade. Iron ore ships General cargo, freezer, ,tankers tugs. and passenger vessels. This involved Mediterranean ,Asian ,Australia and. New Zealand Trades including Pacific Islands Also Americas and UK trades. In my latter years I trained as a Fishing Master also. I have in my turn trained many seafarers including fishermen Throughout the world as a teacher holding workshops for the United Nations FAO ..
3 I have sailed with deckhands who have done it the hard way serving as deck boys and AB. who have achieved Masters Certificate I have great respect for these gentlemen..
I come from a large sea faring family who have become engineers, Superintendents . Masters. and Royal Nany Personnel. You only really need the Masters certificate number with name and date as you have to prove sea time to the examining authority before you can sit the exams. These results are given to the shipping offices in the uk. When the Countries became independent they followed the UK practices and standards usually.. However the discharge books were discontinued and supplanted with papers signed by ships masters and local shipping offices superintendents to support sea time needs.
I trust I have given all the info you need. But am will in to assist you further should you require it. Best Wishes. Captain Ken Middleton (retired). .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Any more details re tug Skandia please (at Kingston?)
my writing on card , first photo think managed to send?!
Hope gets through! John R.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts