Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems recruitment must have slowed to a crawl and, in order to meet the army's needs, a new type of soldier is being sought. No more King and Country bullsh1t - they are looking for the compassionate type of killer; today's so-called Snowflakes are the target group. Narcissists too. Oh well, they have to keep up with the changing times, I suppose.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46747862

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
My Laddie applied last year to join the army. He's a fit, and qualified 20 year old. He breezed the entrance requirements, and the interview, he was given some fitness guidelines to train to which were'nt difficult for him, and told to go home and wait for a date to go to Edinburgh on a 2 day assessment program....... Then NOTHING. And I mean not a jot, despite phone calls emails etc where he's made to sound stupid for even asking, the army have failed to follow up his recruitment.
He has given up, and decided they are a piss take. This view is reinforced by a couple of his mates who did manage to get in 3 or 4 year back, and now are desperate to get out. He has emailed and withdrawn his application.
Problem the MOD now have is that they have shut all their recruitment offices, and privately tendered out at considerable expense the process to an American company called Capita, who have to put it politely made an absolute pigs ear of the job. This has been acknowledged by the MOD, However, 'to late' was the cry, apparently the fixes put in place will not take affect until 2022 until then the average wait to get into the army is almost a year. Over 60% of applicants are just dropping out of the process much as my boy has done.
Oh and by the time the mess is sorted out the recruitment contract will be up for renewal. Wonder who will get it?

·
Registered
895 Posts
A Scots Guardsman's photo appeared under the title 'Snowflakes' it was used without his permission, he knew nothing about it until his mates started contacting him to ridicule him. He is resigning from the Army and who can blame him.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
A Scots Guardsman's photo appeared under the title 'Snowflakes' it was used without his permission, he knew nothing about it until his mates started contacting him to ridicule him. He is resigning from the Army and who can blame him.
Oh they're good

Couldn't feed a starving horse in a field full of hay. God knows how we ever actually get to war when conflict occurs. They'll be privatizing that next.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The situation spelled out in Kev's post #2 is bewildering, to say the least. How can they induce young men into enlisting, only to leave them without any further notice as to when they will be called to serve. It is very strange, to say the least. No recruiting sergeants, no recruiting offices and, no longer any Queens Shilling. Maybe they are attempting to increase the number of females on strength of the army and only processing them. Beats me!

I wonder what the re-enlistment figures show?

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The prerequisites have certainly been tweaked since colonial days; I mean "ability to travel internationally" - like a slow boat to Indo-China, or "have a clean record" - SS POWs in French hands given choice of trial or enlistment. How about "money for visa" - what if you are skint? I can understand psychological and personality tests in today's squeakyclean world. Being stationed in Metropolitan (!) France they will be required to exhibit good manners, unlike the more relaxed behaviour around Sidi bel Abbes. I expect Macron to soon announce the inclusion of females into the regiment.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Gone are the days square-bashing/route march with a rock filled back-pack and fence (humanely not barbed) wire for straps.
I'd say todays Foreign Legion still worth a shot to an adventurous 17-40 lad disillusioned by a rebuff from the Brit-Army recruitment centre or maybe brexit remainer knowing he'll end up with dual nationality and a French/EU passport.

ps. Triple nationality if he signs on permanently accepting la "Legio Patria Nostra."

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
(Jester)(Jester)(Jester)(Jester)
If anyone out there struggles with concept of post-irony , this should help

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(Jester)(Jester)(Jester)(Jester)
If anyone out there struggles with concept of post-irony , this should help
I love it!

R651 you have certainly come up with one great advantage to any Remainer-minded Brit who is presently serving in the Legion; returning home with dual nationality. Maybe it will boost Brit enrolment.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My Laddie applied last year to join the army. He's a fit, and qualified 20 year old. He breezed the entrance requirements, and the interview, he was given some fitness guidelines to train to which were'nt difficult for him, and told to go home and wait for a date to go to Edinburgh on a 2 day assessment program....... Then NOTHING. And I mean not a jot, despite phone calls emails etc where he's made to sound stupid for even asking, the army have failed to follow up his recruitment.
He has given up, and decided they are a piss take. This view is reinforced by a couple of his mates who did manage to get in 3 or 4 year back, and now are desperate to get out. He has emailed and withdrawn his application.
Problem the MOD now have is that they have shut all their recruitment offices, and privately tendered out at considerable expense the process to an American company called Capita, who have to put it politely made an absolute pigs ear of the job. This has been acknowledged by the MOD, However, 'to late' was the cry, apparently the fixes put in place will not take affect until 2022 until then the average wait to get into the army is almost a year. Over 60% of applicants are just dropping out of the process much as my boy has done.
Oh and by the time the mess is sorted out the recruitment contract will be up for renewal. Wonder who will get it?
Son of a friend was in training successfully with R.M. until they came to the issue of training to kill the enemy......that had never been pointed out to them before! Many chose to cease training. On trying to join R.N. he is still waiting to hear, and at age of 27 or so, graduate from Uni, very fit and active is working in local shop!
Has been waiting to hear from R.N. for many months.
Dannic.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Son of a friend was in training successfully with R.M. until they came to the issue of training to kill the enemy......that had never been pointed out to them before! Many chose to cease training.
On trying to join R.N. he is still waiting to hear, and at age of 27 or so, graduate from Uni, very fit and active is working in local shop!
Has been waiting to hear from R.N. for many months.
Dannic.
Has no one told him that missiles/shells fired from RN ships also kill people and the enemy also fires on the RN with the intention of killing.

Coastguard will require additional hands shortly, hardly any killing in that service, but steer clear of US Coastguard as they do sometimes get sent into war zones, but they do get nice uniforms.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I sailed with a bloke who had played Clarinet in the Royal Marines. I always had the impression that he would be at a bit of a disadvantage in a conflict situation.
However I do believe the Scots Guards etc. have had considerable success with their national instrument.(In case Mr. Pom is lurking somewhere, I do mean the Bagpipes). Incidentally the Afrikaans name for the instrument is Doodlesakkie, which I think has a nice ring about it.

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
In Pa's time the RM Band operated the gunnery computer, doing without that would have been a disadvantage.

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Some years ago I saw a recruiting display for Royal Australian Airforce Airfield Defence Guards. At the time I had a nephew who was at a loose end and I mentioned him to the recruiting bloke who was dishing out leaflets and what not. I said: "He's not the sharpest knife in the box but he's enthusiastic and a good worker." The recruiter said: "I heard the navy's looking for good men!"

Bit of a bummer that you can't get into the Foreign Legion if you're missing more than 6 teeth - that lets everyone in Tasmania (and me) out.

Re #13 , coming from a Scottish heritage, the skirl of the old Doodlesakkie stirs me up no end, must be a race memory.

John T

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Incidentally the Afrikaans name for the instrument is Doodlesakkie, which I think has a nice ring about it.
Regrettably the name is the only thing about that device that does have a nice ring.

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Good point. No idea but I could postulate that the larger the band, the larger the ship, the larger the ship the more guns to direct, the more guns to direct the larger the Dreyer gunnery table. For an RN member of that analogue era to comment I think.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I believe I saw one of those tables as an apprentice in No. 2 Electronic Shop in Pompey Dock Yard. Probably big enough for a small ensemble or a medium size Sally Army Band, but not really suitable for a whole bunch of Bootnecks.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I often heard the Band of the Royal Marines, Chatham Division and The Band of the Royal Marines, Portsmouth Division, providing entertainment
on BBC Radio. These were musicians, not bandsmen, i.e. not trained for battleship duties, unless Churchill commanded it as in the meeting with FDR.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts