Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,50yrs today Gothic caught fire .I was fridge greaser on the 12/4 watch when the fire started.When l look at my children and grandchildren ,I am blessed and thankful I came out of it unscathed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Gothic

Hi Will

Have no idea where you are located or whether you are member of Shaw Savill Society but on 2nd August items have appeared in newspapers in UK and NZ in memory of the 50th Anniversary of the tragic events of that horrific day.
Many articles have appeared through the Shaw Savill Society in UK and in NZ over the incident.
Jamie Shedden
Shaw Savill Society NZ/Aust

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Will

Have no idea where you are located or whether you are member of Shaw Savill Society but on 2nd August items have appeared in newspapers in UK and NZ in memory of the 50th Anniversary of the tragic events of that horrific day.
Many articles have appeared through the Shaw Savill Society in UK and in NZ over the incident.
Jamie Shedden
Shaw Savill Society NZ/Aust
Hi Jamie,I am located at Retford , England thanks for the information. I read a interesting article with an account of the fire by 2/fr.eng Paul Macahon.I was on the 12/4 with Paul the day of the fire.
Is Paul member of S.S. Society, if he is would it be possible to send him a message via your society ?
Best Regards Will

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Will

Have contacted the UK membership secretary to check if he is member - also contacted Wally Watson, Company Superintendent, who keeps records of whereabouts of engineers ~ will let you know results.
I take it you are not a Society member ~ and should be!!
Cheers Jamie

·
Registered
115 Posts
TSS Gothic Fire

Hi Jamie,I am located at Retford , England thanks for the information. I read a interesting article with an account of the fire by 2/fr.eng Paul Macahon.I was on the 12/4 with Paul the day of the fire.
Is Paul member of S.S. Society, if he is would it be possible to send him a message via your society ?
Best Regards Will
Hi Will
Do you still have the article you referred to. I would be interested to read Paul's account.

Regards

Brian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gothic Fire.

I was at college in Chatham with Rick Goldfinch who died on board. I was with Furness Withy so we did meet again.
Nice bloke; met his parents who lived in Whitsable area.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Biff47.I remember Ricky Goldfinch ,ok kind of guy. Must have been hard on his parent,he was buried at sea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts