Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
dom

shes a sam boat ,down to her marks, arriving at a port[pilot flag] the photo was taken when the wind was astern the, courtisly flag is of a dark nature[you can see the white on the pilot flag] the deck cargo of buses would be for the first port of call they look british bulit[right hand drive] possibliy british comm. country,cant see any crew all in the messroom drinking tea before turn tothats all, dom

what was the question again

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
exsailor said:
Just a guess, but could be late '60s/early 70's with buses bound for Hong Kong.
i would second that, UK buses in kowloon (Thumb)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hi,

Being Routemasters I would suggest that they may be on the way to Panama City....they bought a lot.

Malta only had single-deckers, Hong Kong have a more modern bus fleet tan London..!!

Routemasters also ended up in Canada.

Hope this adds to the confusion..!

Rushie

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
dom

Loftybaker said:
This photo has had me guessing as to where it is, and what ships markings on the funnel, and who would buy all those buses. Any idea's.. Bazza
lofty is your photo larger than the one you posted,can you make out the name or courtesy flag

·
Banned
48 Posts
On the basis that the Routemaster was not exported as brand new and merely sold off second-hand, it would indicate a date not before 1962 and more likely towards the end of the 60’s or early 70’s, particularly as Green Line only started taking delivery from new in 1962 and would have sold them on for some years after that.

It is tempting to think that this is a ship sailing from the UK, but maybe assumption is the mother of all mistakes and I am off course with that one?

·
Banned
38 Posts
Have got to agree with Tonga on this one. I think she is sailing from a British port. The courtesy flag although it looks blue could well be the red ensign. The funnel mark I think is most probably Greek. Looking at the smart condition of the bits of the vessel in the foreground that we can see and the cream paint could this be a Pilot Cutter or a PLA tug? Lastly as our prevailing wind comes from the southwest - could she be sailing down the Thames!
Peter4447 (egg)

·
Banned
48 Posts
Yes, the finger of suspicion is beginning to point towards the River Thames as the location (given the tug and the fact that RM's were likely to have been shipped out of London at the time); I am hopeful that Karbine or Riverman may drop by and make a definite comment on the tug.

Tonga

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have enlarged this photo, blurred that it might be, I can see an open bridge with an enclosed wheelhouse, a White and Red flag on a mast near bridge, what lookes like the Red Duster on her fore mast. The blurred name looks like one word only, plus she is loaded well by the look of her water mark. But the funnel colours are new to me, can't say i've seen them before.

Thanks for all your help guy's. Bazza (Applause)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts