Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd thing happened today. My nephew is 30 next week and I thought that,as a present, I would give him the same as I gave him for his 21st - a £100 note in a card. It's a bit jokey as you don't often see a c-note plus young folk tend not to use cash these days. Anyway into the Bank of Scotland I go and ask for a £100 pound note in exchange for 5x£20 notes but the teller said "sorry we don't have a £100 note try another bank". Hmmm anyway off to the TSB - same request - this time I got "sorry I'm not allowed to do that as all transactions have to be registered" (i.e computerised). Hmmmm - One more bank left, The Clydesdale (I'm RBS but no branch in my town). Same request - I got "Do you have an account here" I said "No I'm RBS but there's no branch here" The teller then went into the back shop for a couple of minutes, came back and said "OK we'll do it as a one-off special transaction" Hooray! I walked out with my £100 note. The only other solution would have been a 30 mile round trip to the nearest RBS to withdraw £100 from my account. Isn't life getting difficult?!

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Ay...but just wait till he tries to spend it.........most places won't take a £50....
Perhaps a bank will readmit it.

geoff

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I keep my money in two banks. One bank now has available only $20 dollar bills both from cashiers and their ATM. I used to get $50 and $100 bills there. The other bank recently changed their ATM, that used to dispense only $20 bills, now users can choose $20, $50 or $100 dollar bills in any mix. I prefer to spend my money as close to where I live as I can.

I pay for groceries and gasoline and (rare) online purchases with a credit card. The only thing I buy online are things I cannot easily buy here. For instance replacement lamps for the Verilux desk and floor task lamps I have used for decades. Pretty much everything else I pay cash.

https://verilux.com

I pay my credit card balance each month I have never paid fees or interest.

Greg Hayden

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Only way to go!

I keep my money in two banks. One bank now has available only $20 dollar bills both from cashiers and their ATM. I used to get $50 and $100 bills there. The other bank recently changed their ATM, that used to dispense only $20 bills, now users can choose $20, $50 or $100 dollar bills in any mix. I prefer to spend my money as close to where I live as I can.

I pay for groceries and gasoline and (rare) online purchases with a credit card. The only thing I buy online are things I cannot easily buy here. For instance replacement lamps for the Verilux desk and floor task lamps I have used for decades. Pretty much everything else I pay cash.

https://verilux.com

I pay my credit card balance each month I have never paid fees or interest.

Greg Hayden
I do exactly the same, Greg, re. paying-off credit cards each month nor paying fees or interest.

The Card people, Barclay etc., must hate people like ourselves as we're 'using' them inasmuch we can run-up quite a Bill then, just as they're, (metaphorically), salivating at more loot, (via their exorbitant interest rates), pouring into their coffers we pee-on-their-chips(MAD) by paying-off our cards. Love it! Phil

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep I do the same but last month I was a couple of days late paying the card due to a domestic issue so this month the 'bar stewards' have managed to rip me off for 45 piddling pence (Cloud).

Continuing in a banking rut - my wife is unable to open a bank account because she does not have sufficient I.D. - she has no passport and her name is not on any utility bill - the only I.D. she has is her birth certificate and a letter from the DWP (state pension people) and that's not sufficient for banks - sooo her state pension gets paid into my bank account (DWP are OK with that!!) and I then transfer it to an account I opened at another bank in my name and she has the cash card for that account - do you think I'll get done for money laundering??(A)(Jester)

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
Ay...but just wait till he tries to spend it.........most places won't take a £50....

geoff
I was at the cash desk in my local hardware store here in Ireland a while ago. The guy in front of me had a small sample bottle of emulsion paint, value €2.50, for which he tendered a €100 note. Not unexpectedly the cashier told him where to take his business in future! (Whaaa)

·
King Ratt
1,955 Posts
I was at the cash desk in my local hardware store here in Ireland a while ago. The guy in front of me had a small sample bottle of emulsion paint, value €2.50, for which he tendered a €100 note. Not unexpectedly the cashier told him where to take his business in future! (Whaaa)

If the cashier had that attitude towards me, he he might have been overcome with emulsion.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Yep I do the same but last month I was a couple of days late paying the card due to a domestic issue so this month the 'bar stewards' have managed to rip me off for 45 piddling pence (Cloud).

Continuing in a banking rut - my wife is unable to open a bank account because she does not have sufficient I.D. - she has no passport and her name is not on any utility bill - the only I.D. she has is her birth certificate and a letter from the DWP (state pension people) and that's not sufficient for banks - sooo her state pension gets paid into my bank account (DWP are OK with that!!) and I then transfer it to an account I opened at another bank in my name and she has the cash card for that account - do you think I'll get done for money laundering??(A)(Jester)
I hope you have enduring Powers of Attorney:

https://www.pushormitchell.com/2015/03/what-happens-if-you-dont-have-an-enduring-power-of-attorney/

Taff

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I was with RBS for well over 20 years in Scotland and England. I had nothing but excellent service until they went to call-centres for phone access, then mostly chaos ensued. Fortunately I was living in places where branches survived throughout so could at least get face-to-face contact. Eventually gave up and changed bank. They are now heading down that similar route of getting rid of branches, trying to force me into having an online account and generally adopting anti-customer behaviour. Another change soon perhaps?

·
Registered
7,592 Posts

geoff
I went in to my local TSB in January and asked to withdraw £1500 and said that I wanted it in £50 notes the cashier went to the manager, came back and said that as they did not have that amount of £50's in the bank I would have to order them and they would have them in two days, apparently they don't like to keep to many £50's in the bank..............

Cheers Frank

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I won't go into all the details but I paid £350,000 into a bank account I had used for 10 years, they wouldn't let me pay it to a further account. I refused to leave the bank till someone sorted it. The point of this is, they had to get someone from many miles away, you have Jim the office boy and Vera the counter clerk in there. Captain Mainwaring, where are you now?

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
One of my friends who I swim with works for a bank....asked about £50.00 notes, Oh yes we always have a few, usually paid in by 'travellers'......
geoff

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tsell - yep thought of that - my son has power of attorney in case we both go GaGa at the same time(==D) (more than we are now that is(LOL))

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Tsell - yep thought of that - my son has power of attorney in case we both go GaGa at the same time(==D) (more than we are now that is(LOL))
Good thinking, Dick. A couple of years ago there was a survey here in Oz and it found that only 11% had Powers of Attorney and of those, very few had them registered. It was also found that the banks, who may have held the do***ents for years, had often mislaid them, creating all sorts of problems.

Cheers,(Thumb)

Taff

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
I pay for almost everything by credit card.; I don't shop online.

We have just moved into a 'quirky' house (I like quirky; but when it comes to fixing things 'quirky' means add another nought)

We are having the double glazing replaced, the boiler replaced and a new fitted kitchen (for starters)...

The first thing I ask is, "Do you do free credit?"... I pay nothing for 2/3 years and then, in the last week, I pay it off. The money stays in my bank and not in theirs!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts