Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tuesday March 20th 1917 ~ Wednesday March 20th 2019 is one hundred and two years by my arithmetic.

'Her' singing is indelibly etched into my WWII, childhood memories.

Let's hear a resounding cheer ~ from 'ALL HANDS' ~ so that 'she' can clearly hear {in her quiet little, East Sussex village of Ditchling} how much 'she' is loved the world over.

Who are we talking about? You are either too young or too inappreciative of real music if you are not aware that LV is 55 and 'VL' is the one and ONLY Vera Lynn.

(Applause)(Applause)(Applause)

"May your very special day be very special and here's to CIII'.

GGG on behalf of all at SN
SN

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Great memories of Vera, Graham, particularly in wartime, thanks for posting.
One other beautiful lady has a birthday on that day, however, my Sylvia is a little younger having been born in the middle of the 1947 great snowstorm in Yorkshire - 30 years to the day apart.

Cheers,

Taff

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Taff I am still laughing at your funny story. That's 6 degrees of separation I believe. Your Sylvia is one astute lady. Cheers Vicki_

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad I'm not alone in my love for this lovely lady ~ thanks for your 'confirmation' gentlemen!

A very happy forthcoming 72nd to {Still} Young Sylvia on her and VL's 'shared day'. Give her an additional 'smacker' on the day, Taff and when she says "What's THAT for"? Tell her it's from the 'Smith Collins' clan, one time all Suvenners now part second generation Yorkshire in the lovely, small, North Yorkshire village of Thorganby.

Have a great weekend 'wherever ye may be'.

GGG

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Glad I'm not alone in my love for this lovely lady ~ thanks for your 'confirmation' gentlemen!

A very happy forthcoming 72nd to {Still} Young Sylvia on her and VL's 'shared day'. Give her an additional 'smacker' on the day, Taff and when she says "What's THAT for"? Tell her it's from the 'Smith Collins' clan, one time all Suvenners now part second generation Yorkshire in the lovely, small, North Yorkshire village of Thorganby.

Have a great weekend 'wherever ye may be'.

GGG
G'day from Oz, Graham,

The old... sorry - Sylvia said to thank you for your kind words and to give you a big kiss from her. Tough titties mate, I don't kiss blokes, but thanks for your thoughts anyway. 💋 (How the hell did that get there? Where is she??)

Cheers,

Taff

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
G'day from Oz, Graham,

The old... sorry - Sylvia said to thank you for your kind words and to give you a big kiss from her. Tough titties mate, I don't kiss blokes, but thanks for your thoughts anyway. �� (How the hell did that get there? Where is she??)

Cheers,

Taff
X reciprocated. Have that great weekend. GGG

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some more music for you Nick from 'Our Girl' plus an interview you should find interesting.

Vera Lynn (March 20, 1917) - TV Interview 2010 -

Video for Vera Lynn at London palladium▶ 9:07

4 Jan 2015 - Uploaded by Ccvanl4
Dame Vera Lynn - 92 years of age in 2010 - looks back on her career. ... a star-studded variety extravaganza ...

Dame Vera Lynn with a Wartime Medley. (A Royal Birthday Gala)

Video for vera lynn at london palladium▶ 9:13

4 May 2018 - Uploaded by Vaudeville Funtimes
The Queen Mother on the occasion of her 90th birthday. The BBC presents a Royal Birthday Gala.

Dame Vera Lynn performs at 1990 Royal Variety Performance.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Nice to see two old pals, yes you Nick and you Bob, chatting as in the good OLD days ~ cue VL with an appropriate song:-
We'll Meet Again - Vera Lynn - YouTube

We'll Meet Again - Vera Lynn - YouTube

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My pleasure, Nick and pleased to hear it's yours too. The 'countdown' has begun, less than 48 hours to VL Day with VE Day following in less than 2 months. Somehow I feel the two are synonymous.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Vera Lynn - Happy 102th Birthday

A tribute to a lady that brought joy, hope and friendship to so many people........all over the world.

Happy Birthday Vera, enjoy your day.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I still get tears in my eyes when i hear her sing White Cliffs of Dover. She could have but never left the country during the war.
Tugger

1 - 20 of 36 Posts