Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Bird in my life, one that brings gladness to my heart and joy to my day as we play out the courting ritual to get to know and trust one another. Goodness knows where it may lead.
It all started a few months ago at the beginning of the New Zealand spring when I started to awaken my garden from its winter slumber, coax dormant plants back into life and prepare the soil for new plantings .
It was while I was spreadeagled on all fours to reach a dormant Clematis and rake in some pelletised sheep manure into its root line that she fluttered down close to me to search the disturbed soil for worms and came within inches of my hands as if she well knew that my prostrate position would prevent any sudden attack .
I slowly continued my task chatting to her as I went until she seemed to accept that what I was doing was for her benefit .
This ritual carried on over several days until she casually walked across my outstretched left hand to get a a big fat worm before it disappeared.
Then came the time that all the raking, tilling and fertilising was done and it was time for me to step back and watch for the growth. That was not good enough for her , as soon as I walked out to the garden borders she would appear out of nowhere to land almost at my feet as if to demand more disturbed earth and it was obvious that she had absorbed my ritual and wanted more.
Frankly I was enamoured with this attention from a female Blackbird and the guilt surfaced as I recalled previous seasons of abuse as she or her kin never failed to peck holes in my lower trusses of ripening tomatoes and any other fruit or vegetable that took their fancy . As a youngster I did enjoy a Quail pie or two but to now countenance
any bird life in a pie let alone a four-and- twenty Blackbird one is abominable and my mind turns to ways and means of protecting this very special relationship .
I know that she knows me, others of the species won't use the bird bath while I am seated under the sun umbrella nearby but she has no hesitation to frolic and splash like a wonton woman while I watch .
I view this liaison with wonderment but am I just becoming a strange old man ?

Bob

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I have a Brownhooded Kingfisher who is not averse to me scratching its beak while it sits on a fencepost waiting for its groceries. Also many Forktailed Drongos
who take advantage of my gardening efforts. Strange and Wonderful I am thinking. By the way, cannabis has been legally growing in the Republic for the last few months.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Blackbirds do that sort of thing Bob. If it nests in or near your garden you should find it and its offspring returning every year. Enjoy the company!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
MY appreciation----

-----of our feathered-friends came-about in a rather horrific way!

I was about 16 and a 'keen' bird-shooter, (i.e. 'bird-murderer'), and would be out on a Sunday looking for pigeons to execute.

I convinced myself that by shooting these air-borne rats, (as they were known), I was doing the local farmer a favour but, in truth, it was the 'blood-lust' of a teenager given the power of 'life-or-death'.

The day I reached my epiphany was one of those fabulous, cloudless, Winter days we would get.

I spotted a load of pigeons in a field of sprouts and loosed-off a couple of barrels from my twelve-bore killing a pair of pigeons.

Quickly re-loading I shot at an airborne pigeon with the 'choke' barrel and was well-happy when I saw some feathers fly-off my target.

The wounded pigeon fell only feet away from me and started fluttering-around.

This 'fluttering' caused drops of blood from the bird to be scattered-around.

The sight of that blood on the pristine white snow had a profound affect on me and I swore to myself I would never take-life again.

I never did.

I kept my gun but the pigeons I shot, thereafter, were of the 'clay' variety. Phil

·
Registered
825 Posts
Every year at the end of the breeding season they vanish from the garden for a couple of months but this week they are starting to return again looking for hand outs. Shorter days and cold weather, clever little creatures.
Bob when I first saw this thread I thought this is what you meant.

https:www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVdz4YuMDQ4

Bill.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill, I am sure that if Peggy Lee flew into my garden tree it would be bye bye Blackbird .

Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts