Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hello Lisa,
When I did my research the film was available on u-tube but not anymore. However, you can view it at the Imperial War Museum site here:
http://www.film.iwmcollections.org.uk/record/1166
They have now added his name to the site along with the ships that he was aboard when torpedoed 4 times. I was in touch with his neice Lorraine McGrath about a year ago.
I am so pleased to have been able to discover his name and researched his sea career. I hope you enjoy seeing your grandfather as a young seaman on the film.
Best wishes
Hugh

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Grandfather

Hello Hugh,
I am the granddaughter of Capt Cyril Jardine.
My brother and I grew up very close to my poppy and nanny since my parents were divorced and so I spent half of my time with my grandparents. He was a wonderful, quiet and kind man. He taught us how to golf in the backyard and then onto the course as well as play chess backgammon and crib by the time I was 6 yrs old. He loved watching the news and funny tv shows like the 2 Ronnie’s and Carol Burnett. We knew very little of his time at sea other than the little bit my dad and uncle told us. He was a very humble and modest man and a hero to my brother and I. He died when I was just 16 and I visited with him daily until he passed. He is dearly missed and and always loved. I learned of this video just a couple of weeks ago when my dad passed away in Nfld and my cousins were telling me about it so I started my search to find it. I found this page and the wonderful stories you have shared. The video however is not available anymore and so I was wondering if you could send me a copy so that I could pass it along to my brother and family.
I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you again.

Lisa Sutherland
Hi Lisa, my name is Brendan Jardine, and I'm a nephew of Uncle Cyril Jardine. I might be able to send you a copy of the Western Approaches movie. If you receive this message you can E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll forward it to you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The link in my #21 is no longer working but the original is still online here: PEOPLE AT WAR - A SEAMAN'S STORY [Main Title]
Regards
Hugh
Many thanks Hugh for your kindness and due diligence regarding my Uncle Cyril. He was the most gentle human being that ever existed. My grandmother was sent a telegraph stating him being lost at sea after 2 weeks, imagine the shock when he shows up at her door over a month later! Brendan

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Welcome Brendan, It must have been a terrible time when she was notifed but then the joy.

He was the most gentle human being that ever existed
That certainly comes across in the film.

The story in the above link really hit home for me and I was determined to find out his name as he was not named in the film. I sent the evidence to the IWM but despite a thank you and saying they would add his name to the credits all they did was have the utube link pulled down because it infringed their copyright. But I am glad that his name is now known and his family proud.

Regards
Hugh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Many thanks Hugh for your kindness and due diligence regarding my Uncle Cyril. He was the most gentle human being that ever existed. My grandmother was sent a telegraph stating him being lost at sea after 2 weeks, imagine the shock when he shows up at her door over a month later! Brendan
Hugh, cannot convey enough how much this meant to me and my 7 siblings! It takes a wonderful and compassionate man like yourself to relate the humanity of people as such . We moved away from Nfld. when i was 10 years old in 1963. I met up with him in 1975 and met his wife Ada. He never dated anyone until about the same year, being on the boats all his life until the late 1960's. She lived next door to him as a child, and I think he secretly had a crush on her. She become his mothers caregiver after becoming a widow, and the rest is history. They were like a couple of teenagers when we met, the cutest thing that you've ever seen! Thanks again for the heartwarming find.
Brendan Jardine

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for posting this Hugh. Both my father and father in law sailed on merchant ships throughout the war but were fortunate enough to not have been torpedoed. I also worked with several seamen who had been torpedoed during the war and one who was torpedoed twice and survived unscathed. We all have a great debt to their memory.
My own father was torpedoed but unscathed too. Disappointingly the Youtube account linked above has been closed. I'll pop in a link to my father's adventure as perhaps some slight compensation for any others so disappointed - sorry, no video though!

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for posting Iain - very interesting reading.
My #23 above gives a link to the same video that has been pulled from Youtube. Hope you find it interesting.
Regards
Hugh

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for posting Iain - very interesting reading.
My #23 above gives a link to the same video that has been pulled from Youtube. Hope you find it interesting.
Regards
Hugh
Many thanks Hugh, found it, & what a story! That half-a-ship trip is worth a film in itself.. It certainly could be hard to avoid torpedoes in the first half of the 20th cent: my father's Estrellano was the second of that name, owned by the same Line - built as replacement for her predecessor, sunk in 1917 by, again, a German torpedo.. Regards,
Iain.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts