Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum but hoping someone can help! Does anyone have a good link to somewhere online that lists up WW2 admiralty trawlers with pennant numbers. Some great info on this for WW1 but can’t seem to find similar for the second WW. I am transcribing WW2 shipping records from archived data for Lerwick, Shetland onto computer and stumbling over some of the entries! Examples H.M.T. 258 arrived / sailed and so on - would be good to find a name for these that are only show as numbers, also need a list to simply check spelling on some names as everything hand written.
Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks John

·
Registered
895 Posts
There is already a thread on site on the same subject I gave the details of two trawlers I sailed in out of Hull 'Swanland' H402 built in 1914 and served the Admiralty in WWI (as Lord Grey) and WWII. The other was 'St Benedict' built 1936 served the Admiralty until 1946. I sailed on them 1951 and 1952

Try searching 'Trawlers' on site, however you may already have the details

·
Registered
48 Posts
My wife’s uncle sailed on the trawlers during WW2. He said that they were known as "Churchill's Pirates". I bought him a book of that name which is still available on Amazon which may provide you with further details.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just Google 'Harry Tate's Navy' You will find some info/links there. Have a look at 'Royal Navy Patrol Service' - Wikipedia Page.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Does anyone have a good link to somewhere online that lists up WW2 admiralty trawlers with pennant numbers.
Hello John,
I am not aware of any web site that quotes Admiralty numbers as opposed to pennant numbers.
Admiralty numbers as the name implies was just a number usually used in WW1. Pennant numbers WW2 are prefixed with a letter/s usually FY (requisitioned vessels) but can be T, (Naval Trawlers built for the Admiralty and vessels purchased by the Admiralty ) and Z. This is further complicated by some WW2 Admiralty pennant numbers prefixed with the letter M. Together with some ships having four digit numbers with no letter prefix.
Books which may be of help, you may already have them.

WARSHIPS OF WORLD WAR WW2 part 6 TRAWLERS.
By J. J. Colledge and H.T Lenton

ROYAL NAVY TRAWLERS part's ONE AND TWO
by Gerald Toghill.

I have a number of files from the British National Archive which may also be of assistance. If I can find them, I will contact you by PM.

regards
Roger

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hi Roger, thanks for your very helpful information which much appreciated and anything further you can think of or find will be gratefully received - with four years worth of written data to be transferred onto computer I’m going to be at this for a while!

Thanks also to seaman38, Malcolm K and Strickylad44 for your suggestions, all useful information for which I’m grateful. Good of you all to respond. Thanks again and stay safe during these strange times. John

·
Registered
895 Posts
johnvoe;3040725Thanks also to seaman38 said:
Go into FORUMS scroll down to

Grimsby Fishing Vessel

Go to last page post 2200 and it gives the pennant numbers of two of the trawlers I was on.

I would try and transfer to this thread, but no success

1 - 7 of 7 Posts