Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The good lady fancies a cruise, I don't. I've spent long enough looking at waves. although to be fair it has been over 45 years since I got my mess kit on.

As a compromise I thought about one of those river cruises, Danube, Rhine etc etc. Are they full of geriatrics like myself ? Does one have to dress for dinner ? What is the dress code? Are they good feeders?

Please tell me what you have thought of the inland cruise scene

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
I know little about river cruising, although Viking River Cruises is considered the best,

Modern cruise ships are a world away from the ships you would have sailed on. The only comparison is that sail the oceans. Everything else is different from the ship to the crew. Passengers are also different to those who used the ship as transport during the liner era. Today, they are more like Butlins than a ship.

Many cruise lines have done away with formal nights, so no need to dress for dinner. Norwegian Cruise Lines for example offer Freestyle cruising, but so do others.

I would advise taking a cruise on a larger vessel, which offer Freestyle etc. If you like it then try river cruising. Also, Viking now have cruise ships with more building. I think they are very informal, so worth asking.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Have never done a river cruise but, last year, took father-in-law (aged 90) and wife on a ten day Norwegian fiord cruise with Fred Olsen.
Started and returned to Liverpool.
Only 500 or so people onboard. You chose which ever style suited you although we tended to keep to ourselves.
Thoroughly enjoyed the trip having never done Fiords before.
Would highly recommend this (but cannot guaranty the weather)

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Looking at river cruising,have done many deep sea and loved them....if you are still fairly mobile then European Rivers ideal,however,one point we found is that if you are alongside double banked you must be fit enough to cross two vessels,if needed!
Food brilliant, dress, smart casual goes almost anywhere now apart from Queen Mary!
geoff

·
Registered
286 Posts
The good lady fancies a cruise, I don't. I've spent long enough looking at waves. although to be fair it has been over 45 years since I got my mess kit on.

As a compromise I thought about one of those river cruises, Danube, Rhine etc etc. Are they full of geriatrics like myself ? Does one have to dress for dinner ? What is the dress code? Are they good feeders?

Please tell me what you have thought of the inland cruise scene
Try a short cruise out of Southampton, Amsterdam, Channel Islands, 4 days or so.
P&O do good ones and is a good intro into modern cruises. No bull, no evening dress, reasonable prices.
Dannic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts