Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,of the supposed 8000 members who can brag about being the oldest and the youngest,and how long each one has/had been at sea. :mad:

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Well, it's your thread Eric - why don't you tell US! Your profile doesn't say much.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
First set foot aboard an Irish Sea collier as a supernumerary deck boy at 12 yrs. of age. Paid one shilling a month and had to provide my own food. How things have changed. Loved every moment.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
aye,when I were a lad, I joined t'old Fightin Temeraire as a middy aged 10 and I had to pay for t'privilege-- tell them that today and they just won't believe you!!!

·
Banned
83 Posts
Is this actual age? In that case I must be about average at 60.

If it's the length of service at sea I seem to be about average at 11 years.

It doesn't hurt to be average. You can live your life in peace. (LOL)

I did first sail on a ship when I was 2 months old though (is the North Sea deep sea?). (EEK) I also could be said to have been all at sea ever since. Which means I've been at sea for 60 years, 1 month and 7 days. (Ouch)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Don't actually care too much how long anyone has been on the water. In the big scheme of things it doesn't matter a whit. It's one's memories which are important. However, if I calculate from the first day I was put on articles to the day I fell off a pilot ladder, I suppose it makes about 54. Anyway I'll settle for anything, as I had a couple of hiccups which leaves me regarding each day as a bonus. Happy to be here. Keep taaking the pills.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
John Rogers said:
Started at 16, sailed for 7 years, and I am a 75 years young.
John
........and I believe there are a few young ladies in Haywood would vouch for that.... (Fly)

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
aleddy

The more I read of some of you guys makes me feel as though the first 5 years must be like kindergarten so I almost feel as though I was too young to remember and am old enough to realise that I miss it terribly.
Cheers
Ted.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
John Briggs said:
Well, it's your thread Eric - why don't you tell US! Your profile doesn't say much.
Well John I am going on 72 went to sea as a Jr/E at the age of 20 and stayed 5 yrs,wish now I had stayed longer

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Thanks Eric. Mine is in my profile - I stayed a little longer at sea but, like you, still wished for more!

·
Registered
14 Posts
gbr16.

Eric Wallace said:
Hi,of the supposed 8000 members who can brag about being the oldest and the youngest,and how long each one has/had been at sea. :mad:
Went to sea in 39, Oh! so long ago but, still fresh in my memory, I was 13 but everyone seemed to accept my "Wee" lie about it being older, so off I went on the S,S,Carlton to a life that was so much more for a boy from a small village in the Scottish countryside. I spent 20 yrs at sea and I really don't think t'was enough, but, one gets married and children begin to show up. {Had three before realizing what was causing 'em} and then the demands of Family life draws one back to shore life and the HUMDRUMS tho' I would gladly go back, only I don't think I could get away with lying about my age quite so easy these days.
Mind you, There was no life like it, or to beat it.'
George "kit" Rennox.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Joined the Capetown Castle as a 16 year old deckboy 22.06.60 and now tugmaster, Ports Of Auckland tugs, aged 62. Dont regret a minute of it.
Chris Wood

1 - 20 of 54 Posts