Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run a FB forum related to ships with links to the river Mersey - someone on there has just commented : " I read somewhere that the Ark Royal was a very high maintenance ship. They had a choice as to keep HMS Eagle or the Ark and chose the Ark and a few comments have stated the Eagle was in much better condition and ( controversially ) the better built ship !! Comming from Birkenhead I hope this was not the case. Would anyone care to comment on this ???? " - Any knowledge or thoughts, please?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I run a FB forum related to ships with links to the river Mersey - someone on there has just commented : " I read somewhere that the Ark Royal was a very high maintenance ship. They had a choice as to keep HMS Eagle or the Ark and chose the Ark and a few comments have stated the Eagle was in much better condition and ( controversially ) the better built ship !! Comming from Birkenhead I hope this was not the case. Would anyone care to comment on this ???? " - Any knowledge or thoughts, please?
The Eagle was in better condition than the Ark Royal, Eagle was damaged coming into Plymouth Sound after a refit. Price was too much to repair, so they went with the Ark. The Eagle was moored up and parts removed for the Ark. I worked on this, for a while. Walking through the hangers with shipping routes cut open in the dark, was quite something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Eagle was in better condition than the Ark Royal, Eagle was damaged coming into Plymouth Sound after a refit. Price was too much to repair, so they went with the Ark. The Eagle was moored up and parts removed for the Ark. I worked on this, for a while. Walking through the hangers with shipping routes cut open in the dark, was quite something.
Surely, if Eagle was so damaged as to be too costly to repair, then she wasn't in better condition than the Ark.

·
Registered
665 Posts
As one who is proud to have served onboard Eagle 1956/57, I would like to point out that these stories have been going around for years. I recommend Neil McCart's excellent book 'HMS EAGLE 1942-1978' where all will be revealed, particularly Chapter 13 'The Sad Demise of a Proud Ship'. The price of allowing politicians to decide the fate of a wonderful ship, politicians who would find it difficult to run a bath between them. It was a lot about diving into the EU without any thought for the future of our nation - and Eagle was lost in the scramble. Keeping one capital aircraft carrier capable of operating fixed wing aircraft going without a back-up was ridiculous and pathetic. There was absolutely no political will left to keep two carriers while the greedy politicians were fixated by empty promises from Europe. Bah!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts