Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shaw Savill’s AKAROA (59/18565) seen in the Royal Docks, London.

She was built by Harland & Wolff as Royal Mails AMAZON. Acquired by Shaw Savill in 1968 and renamed AKAROA.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Hi Bob S

Nice photo of "Akaroa" in Royal Docks.

I joined her the day she was handed over to Shaw Savill from Royal Mail, after her last sailing as "Amazon" and stood by her as she was transformed into Shaw Savill colours. I worked in the Purser's Office until she sailed on her first trip as "Akaroa" - then waited till the "Arlanza" came in and sailed on "Arawa". It all seems so long ago now but the best years of my short life with Shaw Savill was on "Arawa" - great ships. Cheers Jamie Shedden, Shaw Savill Society, New Zealand
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,718 Posts
They were three AMAZON -ARAGON- and ARLANZA but i do not remember. the finally of their life and in what year!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
The 3 A boats Arawa Akoroa And the Aranda

brandane said:
Hi Bob S

Nice photo of "Akaroa" in Royal Docks.

I joined her the day she was handed over to Shaw Savill from Royal Mail, after her last sailing as "Amazon" and stood by her as she was transformed into Shaw Savill colours. I worked in the Purser's Office until she sailed on her first trip as "Akaroa" - then waited till the "Arlanza" came in and sailed on "Arawa". It all seems so long ago now but the best years of my short life with Shaw Savill was on "Arawa" - great ships. Cheers Jamie Shedden, Shaw Savill Society, New Zealand
I joined late in 1969 on the aranda and have pictures of the Akaroa in london docks in 1971 i was 16 when i joined the Aranda in KGV dock as a commi chef
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
M V Aranda

The 3 A boats were the Akaroa Arawa and the Aranda
I was 16 when i first joined the Aranda in 1969 as a commi chef and sailed 4 times on her untill she was sold.
Did the Akaroa have an accident in dry dock in London?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Hi all. Regards Akaroa She was built by Harland and Wolf for the Royal Mail Line as the Amazon in 1959 she was the sister ship to Aranda & Arawa 4th. She was transfered to Shaw Savill and Albion in 1968 and Renamed Akaroa. She was sold to a Norwegian Company in 1971 and renamed Akarita and turned into a car carrier. In 1977 she was sold to a Liberian Company and renamed Hual Akarita. In 1980 she was again renamed Akarita once again. In 1982 the grand old lady was scrapped in Kaohsiung.I saild on her in 1970 the trip she caught fire. Great ship and great crew. Cheers Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Akaroa drydock incident

peter tabrett said:
The 3 A boats were the Akaroa Arawa and the Aranda
I was 16 when i first joined the Aranda in 1969 as a commi chef and sailed 4 times on her untill she was sold.
Did the Akaroa have an accident in dry dock in London?
When the Akaroa was placed on the blocks in the King George V drydock
in London and the dock had been drained down to the keel block level the
shores on the port side of the ship started to give way from Forard & the ship listed over to port ending up on the bilge blocks,which fortunately did
not let her go over any further.I was sitting in the Masters cabin with the master when this happened - pretty unnerving experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Hi Joseph,
THat must have been an alarming experience. Did she heel over quite suddenly or was it a gradual list. The Master must have been having visions of the report he was going to have to write! How would you deal with a situation like that - would you flood the dock again?
Cheers
Cassim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Bob S said:
Shaw Savill’s AKAROA (59/18565) seen in the Royal Docks, London.

She was built by Harland & Wolff as Royal Mails AMAZON. Acquired by Shaw Savill in 1968 and renamed AKAROA.
certainly a much different ship from the old akaroa,i sailed on her.in january 1953. from liverpool.
ian jack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
SSA Ex RM A ships

I was posted to Akaroa for a limited period during the changeover from Royal Mail. Very intersting either by co -incidence or design that when they changed the names on these ships ( Bow, stern, lightboxes,lifeboats and lifebuoys etc) they only had to change the minimum number of letters and I think all the new names were the same number of letters as the old!

Sorry I did not get the chance to sail on her ( but spent two very happy years on Southern Cross instead)- they had to try and upgrade the 3rd class and degrade the 1st Class ( worried the Kiwis would was their boot int the bidet!) to make the ships one class.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts

·
Lapoolcan
Joined
·
25 Posts
Arawa

By chance does anybody have pictures of the A boats as the Akarita ,Hoegh traveller and Hoegh Trotter.
I sailed as an Engineer deep sea on the Arawa (great ship but hard work)and I did a couple of coastals on the Akaroa.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
Hi Lapoolcan - I worked on Arawa three voyages in 1970 as second Purser - were you there then - as I must know you?
Willie Wait was Chief!

Cheers Jamie
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top