Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
Thanks for that report Rushie. I don't think it will ever pass. In the 1960s I was stationed in Alaska for almost 4 years and back then Juneau and Ketchikan were just row on row of bars supporting the miners and the Salmon Canneries.The mines are closed,so are some of the canneries and the only game in town are the cruise ships. I have just returned from a cruise from Alaska and I can tell you the bars and ***** houses are gone,all they have now are tourist traps,shop after shop,mostly Jewelery shops owned by Indians,and Pakistani. Without the cruise ships all the ports in Alaska will dry up and blow away.
John

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
I love a good curry Rushie but I did not see any in Alaska. Although the shops are owned by Indians ,Pakistanis and Saudis,they are all operated by the locals or jewelers from Vancouver and Seattle. The best Sweet Sour pork I ever had was in Whitehorse when I was driving up the AlCAN Highway.
John
John

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
Hamish I took the Alaskan cruise in May on a Holland American Ship and I never paid $7.00 dollars for a beer,top was $5.00 and $4.50 for a mini bottle of Rum,Gin,Vodka in the cabin fridge. Mixed drinks in the Crows-Nest bar was also $4.50.
In Juneau the top beer there was called Alaskan Larger,brewed in Alaska,shipped to Seattle and then sent back by a beer distributer for sale in the bars. The majority of people on the cruise were from OZ and NZ,one gal accompanying the OZ group said she had 800 in her group,and there was quite a few from the UK,Yorkshire area.
John (Night)

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
David D, We were on the Zuiderdam and sailed out of Vancouver. They have a program were you can sign up for $15.00 each passenger,they take your bags from your cabin and process them through to your final destination, then they put you on a secure bus and take you through a secure entrance at the airport and you don't have to go through all that crap at the gate,even your boarding pass is included in the program. Well worth the money. Make sure you have a lot of time in Victoria,a great place,also the Flower gardens.Any more questions please ask.
John.

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
The Politicians of Alaska are big crooks, they have been trying for a couple of years to pass a bill in congress to foot the bill to build a bridge in Juneau costing millions of dollars, its called the bridge to nowhere. There is no way out of Juneau,only by air or by sea,they want the tax payers of the lower 48 to pay for it. People are saying Alaska pay for it yourself with the oil money they are getting.
John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.