Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
david said:
My wife and I will be there in about 6 weeks, and are looking for a good feed of Alaskan Crab and fresh Salmon.
By the way does anybody know about a restaurant in Vancouver that is operated by and serves "First Peoples" cuisine?
Thanks
David D. (*))
First Nations cullinary skills stop at MacDonalds and a six pack of beer bought sales tax free with this months welfare cheque.

Don't go for their version of smoked salmon, concocted of low grade Pacific salmon and maple wood smoke. No contest to delicate Scottish, Nova Scotian or Norwegian Atlantic smoked salmon.

But if you can get some Inuit smoked Arctic Char, that's another story.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
John Rogers said:
Thanks for that report Rushie. I don't think it will ever pass. In the 1960s I was stationed in Alaska for almost 4 years and back then Juneau and Ketchikan were just row on row of bars supporting the miners and the Salmon Canneries.The mines are closed,so are some of the canneries and the only game in town are the cruise ships. I have just returned from a cruise from Alaska and I can tell you the bars and ***** houses are gone,all they have now are tourist traps,shop after shop,mostly Jewelery shops owned by Indians,and Pakistani. Without the cruise ships all the ports in Alaska will dry up and blow away.
John
And.. the cruise ships will continue cruising to Alaska, there's nowhere else to go in the summer season. Over seventy five percent of the world cruise ship market is drawn from the U.S.A. and Americans are not rushing to the Med. Alaska can thank the "Achille Lauro" incident for the boom in tourism.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
david said:
Thanks for the info shipmates, very interesting about HAL's prices.
John, which ship were you on? "Volendam" is ours.
You are 100% about the ozzies on board. I heard that the 'Alaska Run' is the most popular cruise destination for us other than 'local' runs.

Keltic....luurrve your comment about Maccas and the No1's. Not exactly PC but I get your drift!!
Where do you think we could sample the Char?
We are spending a few extra days in Victiria, Nanaimo, Vancouver and over at Bamfield where I spent my first 8 years back when!!
Would appreciate some advice.
Many thanks,
David D. (Pint)
David:
Google "smoked arctic char in Vancouver". Found several restaurants listed.

The best boozer in Victoria is the

Sticky Wicket Pub
Strathcona Hotel,
919 Douglas St, Victoria, BC V8W 2C2 · 250-383-7137
Inhabited by both local and ex-pat professional drinkers. If you go there ask for my brother, "Chris U" aka "Ensign Chris", I think he lives there!

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.