Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Capt Wise's daughter

It's interesting to read this thread. My Dad was Captain Wise, and he stoodby the building of the Albright Explorer. Portishead was the home dock for the Pioneer and the Explorer, and so our family moved to Portishead. Sadly, in 1975, Dad passed away, whilst the Explorer was in Russia. I have many, many fond memories of being on this ship, and her crew. I had the good fortune to sail with Dad to Long Harbour, as well.

·
Registered
412 Posts
In my time with Tankfreight, I managed the Albrights contract at Oldbury. We used to go down to Avonmouth2 / 3 times a day to collect molten phosphorous to deliver in to the plant in Oldbury.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Albright Pioneer / GYUD

I was sparks on Albright Pioneer on two occasions 22.3.85 to 18.6.85 and then again 5.6.86 to 25.6.86 (total of three round trips Portishead to Long Harbour, Newfoundland and back for Phosphorous). In fact she was my last ship as the short trips , returning to the UK meant that I was too handy for the inevitable redundancy which was happening throughout the industry by the mid 1980s.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Albright Pioneer / GYUD

I was sparks on Albright Pioneer on two occasions 22.3.85 to 18.6.85 and then again 5.6.86 to 25.6.86 (total of three round trips Portishead to Long Harbour, Newfoundland and back for Phosphorous). In fact she was my last ship as the short trips , returning to the UK meant that I was too handy for the inevitable redundancy which was happening throughout the industry by the mid 1980s.
My dad WD Don Brown was Radio Officer on Explorer for a few years and I. Still have the tankard the crew were given for the cir***navigation in 78/79. Sadly he died in 2001 . Did anyone serve with him?
600105E0-538F-48ED-81F8-D68E4E7D831B.jpeg

21 - 24 of 24 Posts