Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is a hairy old one but can anyone confirm the story that when the 'Queens' were painted grey and being used as troop carriers they passed within sight of each other in mid-atlantic. One of the Captains sent the following message by aldis lamp 'Snap'. Any one know any other short sharp messages....

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
did read in a book some years ago about a destroyer sending a message to a corvette in a rough sea "just seen down funnel fires burning brightly"

·
Super Moderator
6,637 Posts
Following WR's 'what ship' the reply 'JVO'. Being the famous Dutch vessel
Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt. See the other theme Lakonia. This told to me by several deck officers.
Hawkey01 (Thumb)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Aldis Lamp

When I was sailing in 1962, we were off the coast of Virginia, we saw this massive Aircraftcarrier. We flashed them 'What Ship Where Bound" they replied "US Man Of War On Passage" one of the guys onboard my ship identfied it as "USNS ENTERPRISE"

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geoff,

This is the transcript of an ACTUAL radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October,1995.

Americans: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the North to avoid
a collision.

Canadians: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South
to avoid a collision.

Americans: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert
YOUR course.

Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS ENTERPRISE, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians: We are a lighthouse. Your call........

True or not???

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
I think you will find that the Cunard QE (my old home) when meeting the RN QE said "snap" not the two Queens.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
My favorite on this subject is one I read on SN (so apologies to the person who first posted it):
1945 and the Queen Elizabeth is famously en route to collect troops from Egypt who were on the verge of mutiny.
Passing Gibralter a signaller on shore sends 'What ship, where bound?' got no reply and continued to send.
As ship headed for horizon he finally got the reply: 'What rock?'

·
Registered
62 Posts
About the Queen Elizabeth

On one voyage whilst sailing from Canada to the UK on a cargo ship, I was 4th Engineer and had just come off watch at noon, I briefly looked over the side and saw the QEI passing. I went into the C/Engs cabin to give him the log book and I said "Chief we have just passed the Queen Elizabeth" he in his quick witted drunken Liverpool humour, picked up the telephone to the engineroom and told the 3rd Engineer to pull the engine back a notch, he said "We are going too fast"... of course the QEI was going in the opposite direction.

·
Registered
249 Posts
American admiral to British admiral;
"What's it like being in the second biggest navy in the world"?

British admiral to American admiral;
"What's it like being in the second best"?

malcolm

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
Another QE story - probably apocryphal, but I like to think it's true.

Lookout spotted a periscope following the ship in mid Atlantic. Ship flashed: "Bang.bang, you're dead."
Submarine surfaced and flashed: "You were dead three hours ago."

John T.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
trotterdotpom said:
Another QE story - probably apocryphal, but I like to think it's true.

Lookout spotted a periscope following the ship in mid Atlantic. Ship flashed: "Bang.bang, you're dead."
Submarine surfaced and flashed: "You were dead three hours ago."

John T.
Brilliant John, my sides are still sore from laughing. (Applause) (Applause)

·
Registered
187 Posts
hawkey01 said:
Following WR's 'what ship' the reply 'JVO'. Being the famous Dutch vessel
Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt. See the other theme Lakonia. This told to me by several deck officers.
Hawkey01 (Thumb)
When sailing as 2nd Mate in the Singapore area years ago and being prone to calling up ships to while away the time on the middle watch I contacted 'JVO' one night but on asking what ship, instead of JVO I got the whole nine yards. Luckily I got it right the first time and did'nt have to ask him to repeat.

Allan Wareing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think I may have read it in the Jack Broome book, but one I always liked is:

MTB entering port passes RAF Rescue Boat outward bound. MTB sends, 'Good Luck', RAF return, 'Actually we rely on skill'.

David Byrne

·
Bilge Rat
36,005 Posts
heard a tale about hms belfast, a storm (typhoon) brewing up and the skipper decided to run to sea and ride it out. on the way out they passed an american ship comming in to shelter. when the storm died down hms belfast returned to port to find plenty of damage was caused by the storm. american flashed him "how was the storm' belfast replied "what storm"

·
Registered
20 Posts
As a cadet on the King George, 1960, approaching Scilly Isles and on watch with the 3rd Mate Jim Wilcox, had a large passenger vessel on the starboard side that we would just manage to pass clear ahead of. However the OOW got excited and started frantic flashing on the Aldis. When we answered he just sent QE, to which Jim replied KG. End of story - QE altered course and went round our stern.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts