Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
G'day Jeff,
I don't seem to be able to change the heading of the thread, but have contacted SN to see if they can do it for me, sorry I never noticed that I had missed spelled her name. Did you get to go about them and look around? Did you get any pictures of the wheelhouses or engine rooms etc.
Cheers,
Seamus Martin.

·
Registered
471 Posts
New Year Greetings to you Seamus Martin. Thanks for chasing up SN re title spelling. I came across this problem when trying to cross reference discussion threads on the Nobska ( once a ship in the process of preservation in Boston but now dismantled) that some called the Nobsku. It would be good if SN could get a search facility like in Yellow/White pages that also gives you similar names where one letter might be missing or substituted. I tried to get on board both vessels but no in attendance and all locked up. Also some distance from the fledging museum. Attendants at the museum confirmed the story that the Alwyn Vintcent had been purchased by an overseas company but thought that it would be restored and maintained in Cape Town given its links to Nelson Mandela and the transportation of "prisoners" to Roben Island. Jeff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks JeffM,
new years greetings to you to, I know I am a bit late, I have been very busy at work, but thanks a lot for the info. I hope to see some pictures of the wheelhouse, engine room and boiler room and crew accomadation.
Cheers,
Seamus Martin.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Seamus Martin, thanks for the New Year greetings - now a distant memory or is it a fog? If you do locate any internal photos of the Alwyn Vintcent will you post them on SN? JeffM

·
Registered
30 Posts
The museum have been presented with an alternative today, which would see preservation of the vessel in Australia to assist unemployed as a training ship! Another small historic UK motor vessel will be relocated shortly via ship and the Alwyn Vincent would be picked up on the way. Shall have to wait and see what they say.... far better than scrap I would think.

·
Registered
471 Posts
bashfordg, do you have any details on Australian destination and organisation that will be responsible for the Alwyn Vinctent preservation? Does preservation mean static or operational? And the "small historic UK motor vessel" is....? You must have been a teaser in another life, Regards Jeff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Minor Update

Well "teaser" it may well be at the moment, however am pleased to report that things are looking a little more positive.
I believe it is hoped that the vessel will be returned to operation... under steam as not a great deal is required there.. still a lot of investigative work needed.
Sadly a lot seems to have been lost, there isn't even that much technical info about her left.
I think that these had about 750 ihp however could well be incorrect. Also the state of the boiler, the type of diesel "conversion" i.e what type of Cat engine used. Much seems shrouded in a cloud.
What is known however is that it is possible to save the little ship, however like always it is a question of economics.
It is hoped that the Alwyn will be able to make her way to Sydney. However all going well, she will arrive via Freemantle at least in a safe and clean condition.
So far that much is looking ok, however early days yet.

Cheers. Gordon.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks Gordon. Glad to hear that the destination is Sydney - there is more support there than in Melbourne for active maritime preservation projects. And it hurts to say that! Cheers jeff.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A little bit of info on her
Alwyn Vintcent (1958 -)
Builders: Cantieri Navali e Officiene Meccaniche de Venezia
Dimensions: 83 * 20 * 11
Engine: Single triple expansion 117 NHP 300 IHP
Speed: 10.5 Kts
Tonnage: 111 gross

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hopefully things are indeed looking better and better.

Now some help is needed.

It is possible that a lot of the data has been lost through no fault of anyone. So if anyone has drawing ot this type of ship or any other info, photgraphs, etc.. no matter how insignificant them pls let us know either via email or post.

Thank you Seamus, that is all correct. I dont believe that these were issued IMO numbers.. however am also curious as to class or survey that they operated in. And of course anything else..

A HUGE thanks too goes to to SAS Amatola... great help and genuine guy..

Update next week

Cheers

Gordon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Update

Good news.

It now appears that the museum has or is about to formally accept the deal and thus the "Alwyn Vintcent" gains a new lease on life!

She is being inspected today for required work prior to relocation and these are planned to commence in the very near future.

If I can figure it out, photos will be posted in the next cpl days.

Cheers

Gordon

·
Registered
30 Posts
A little sad at the moment.. the most recent pics taken yesterday.

Well here goes.

Here are a few "teaser" pics

These pics were taken yesterday... all thanks to SAS Amatola whom attended the inspection.

Thankfully she wont be in this state for very long!

Destructive things... seagulls

Cheers

Gordon

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you very much Jeff.

The "Alwyn" is actually the last of her kind and quite a unique multi-purpose little tug.

You will be hearing much about her very soon, she has a unique and special role to play here... not as a "museum ship" but as an actual working vessel able to provide exceptional promotional and training benefits and I would hope to be able to compliment and further existing restoration projects.

Stay tuned for more details... and pics in the next day or so

·
Registered
30 Posts
Seagull eviction...

Those damm pests are all going to be evicted within the next couple of weeks.

Am very pleased to report that the little ship is in far better condition that I thought, and is pretty much complete.

Here is a little brasswork... the wheelhouse and a shot of the cylinder tops...

Taken a couple of days ago

Am very happy with her.

Cheers

Gordon

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Update:

This post is simply to issue thanks.

There are a dedicated team of South Africans preparing the Alwyn for her voyage "downunder" and they all deserve a special vote of thanks.

The Alwyn now has a little website www.alwynvincent.wetpaint.com

(Yes the name was spelt wrongly as the site would not for some reason "permit" the correct spelling of her name.)

Thank you again guys, you know who you are

Cheers

Gordon

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Gordon
Thank you for keeping us updated. I am in China so it will be a bit challenging to give a hand, but I am very happy to see your efforts are bearing fruit.
Congratulations for this and good luck for the remaining
Cheers
Valery

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi guys,

There may be an chance to ship in early June so am targeting this date.

Work is progressing quite well and things are slowly being worked through although there is a lot of chasing around over there... it seems that all sorts of things went everywhere, and now that the ship has been handed over, we also have to do the best we can to "put it all back together" so to speak, re plans, old certificates, etc etc.

The "Alwyn" was actually the first of them built, however not many photos of her remain whilst she was "in service" at Mossel Bay. She has, however been featured in and the subject of of a number of paintings... such as here

http://www.bluestarline.org/wallace_trickett/walley031.htm

I am often asked whether am "set" on Sydney as a destination for her.. and in fact the answer is no.

At this stage am reviewing a considerable number of "Expressions Of Interest" from local business within Australia as wish to initially place her in one area for at least three years, providing I feel that she will receive sufficient support.

All donations greatfully accepted..[=D] (just kidding)

21 - 40 of 105 Posts