Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Minor Update

Hi Guys

Well and so many thanks to those great SA people putting in a superb effort for the old girl. A little work was conducted over last weekend and things are looking great:

Finally we are actually being able to put together a lot about these unique little ships and their history. This includes drawings (for the modelmakers), photographs, histories, etc.

And now some accurate information. They actually produced 390 IHP at working pressure (200 psi). 140 rpm.

Have attached a couple of little pics of boiler internals: Not too bad at all considering she has not steamed since 1994!

Oh and a little one of the coal fired stove! Dont see many of them anymore...

Cheers

Gordon

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
I can't believe I am looking at a 50-year old boiler. It looks like it has just been put into commission... And this Stove is a real treat to see!

Looking into a boiler is like looking into the arteries. It really looks like you have a sound piece of engineering. I am realy looking forward to your success in securing this little ship.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Wonderful... I am glad to see she is going where she will be looked after and wont block the view of any yuppies apartments in Cape Town. Sadly I dont have any worthwhile pics of her in my collection to offer except what is on my website. We lost 3 of our classic tugs through indifference, at the rate things are going she could become the only survivor if JR More and Ulundi end up being dropped for something more "upmarket". Bravo to our friends in OZ and congrats to the team that are making sure she leaves with some dignity.

·
Super Moderator (L)
1,742 Posts
........... The "Alwyn" was actually the first of them built, however not many photos of her remain ..........
Sadly I have none of her, but several slides of some of her sisters, if I can find them, I could post them in the gallery if requested ....

Great work for preservation, in a difficult time., well done all concerned.

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Many thanks to all of you who express your support.
Things are slowly but surely coming together and all is going well for the old girl.
She is amazingly good condition actually, however that is not all that surprising since she last worked 8 yrs ago, and was stored as a "dead ship"...
Iziko too have been nothing but cooperative with the getting together of all her parts / drawings / etc, they too have played an important part in all this.
Word is fast getting around here in Aus, and I am forever busy... that is a good thing.
It seems a little odd, however she is for "technical" point a foreign vessel in South African waters now!
She will leave South Africa with a great deal of dignity, and I trust provide a unique link in that with the right "help" and attitudes we can indeed save some of these irreplacable pieces of Maritime History no matter where in the world they may be found.

·
Super Moderator (L)
1,742 Posts
Thanks Seamus, as soon as I can find them in the loft, I'll put them up here, or rather in the gallery ...

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Guys

There is an early pic posted in the Gallery... taken about early 90's. There she is under steam, with additional liferafts fitted and still sporting the brass nav lamps which luckily I have stored safely ashore.

Cheers

Gordon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Website Update

Hi Guys

Well work has begun... and things are already looking better!

My thanks to the South African crew... they are doing a fantastic job.

The website has now been updated in the Albums section with a few pictures taken by SAS Amatola on Friday 10th May 2008.

www.alwynvincent.wetpaint.com

No more birds (see attached pic!)

Cheers

Gordon

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Long Overdue Update

Hi Guys

Well time now for a long overdue update! I have been very busy with another unique vessel (ex RAN Admirals Barge) and apologize for the lack of update re the Alwyn.

Things have been progressing very well and at long last she now looks like a little ship again. The attached pics tell the story!

A fantastic effort from a wonderful crew who actually take pride in their work!

I received this email from Cedric Hunter / the last person (was with the museum when it owned the vessel) and this pretty much says it all...

Hello Gordon,
After being homebound for weeks of persistent freelance work and a spell of illness, I was finally able to visit the AV again on Wednesday last week--and what a transformation.
Although Charlie brought me up to date on his progress whenever I phoned him, and on all the work still to be done, it was really great, seeing the little ship cleaned up and freshly painted again, after all the years of neglect. The site of the tug, as my wife and I approached her, so reminded me of how she looked back in those years when we were steaming her for the Maritime Museum.
It was on a day in the first half of January 1994 that the AV, as it turned out later, became the last S. African ship to move under steam power. We won't count the three or four small steam launches in this country.
I happened to be aboard that day on engine duty, and, often being the last to leave, was instructed to close down ship for the season. But as there were no further AV steaming seasons to follow, by slowly drawing out her boiler fires that evening, I unknowingly gained the poignant distinction of being the one to close the era of S African maritime steam, dating back to the 1830s.
This is of course, unless some wealthy local steam-heritage benefactor revives one of our last three remaining steam ships (that is, after your tug's departure) back to working order. Highly unlikely, given the enormous yet fruitless efforts to attract meaningful sponsorhip of the AV, even during her years of much publicised steaming.
I hope we'll get to meeting during your busy visit here, and would certainly like to see her finally being lifted from S. African waters, a fitting moment to bid the little ship farewell.
Best regards,
Cedric.

There is a genuine effort on the part of many South Africans to preserve a wonderful heritage and it is my hope that the Alwyn Vintcent can in some way provide a little more inspiration worldwide, and prove that where there is a will there is a way!

Cheers

Gordon

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi Gordon
Thank you very much for the update.
She looks gorgeous now and seems ready to set sail.

Congratulations for your hard work and for all the ones involved!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am back....

Just a quick message.... I am now recovering fairly well following my recent stroke and things are now once proceeding with the Alwyn Vintcent. My thanks to all for well wishes.
Update will follow in a few days.

B Rgds

Gordon

·
Registered
471 Posts
RE "I am back" - does this mean you are now a combination of Lazarus, General MacArthur and Arnie? Good to hear you are recovering and Alwyn is proceeding. Cheers, JeffM

41 - 60 of 105 Posts