Ships Nostalgia banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
The tug is still double banked on the SAS Somerset and is a rusting hulk. Unbelievable that it has been left to rust away. A very sad day for South Africa if the ship gets cut up for scrap.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Mendi, thanks for the update and the link on post 64. It is difficult to keep track of what is happening to the Alwyn from here so your updates are appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
(MAD)At this rate she could sink at her mooring or be cut for scrap! Ship is in an horrific state and covered in guano!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Full story of what happened to the ship and the contractors who worked on it will be published here shortly. Everyone has the right to know what happened!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't blame you. The poor ship has been laid up for almost exactly two years with no upkeep whatsoever. Theft has taken place with all brass lanterns stolen as well as engine spares. Engineroom is intact though.

The various contractors who worked on the vessel are still awaiting payment for services rendered! This is one of the reasons the vessel has not left our waters.

Attempts to contact the owner were all in vain as no response was ever received.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
Sorry Sir I am not to blame, I do not know the owner personally, I am very disappointed that the vessel has not been kept up to scratch and that the contractors have not been paid for their hard work and effort. (Probably a little embarrest as well an Aussie letting down the team.) I fear that the Alwyn will be scrapped, and that will be a terrible shame for maritime history. I just wish I knew what to do?
Regards,
Seamus.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nope, we don't blame you either.

Somehow a solution needs to be found so all parties are happy. No one wants to see the ship scrapped either.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks Mendi for the bad news. Whoever is responsible for letting the Alwyn Vintcent get to this state should, amongst other things, carry an ongoing burden of guilt and suffer many sleepless nights. Such a beautiful and historic little ship meeting such an end.

·
Registered
94 Posts
(Cloud)Yes. A local group did offer to purchase the ship for preservation, but the owner said "it all depends on what we receive as an offer from the scrap dealer"!!! So clearly those are their intentions! We don't get it as why bother purchasing a ship, restore it, leave it to rot and then sell it for scrap? :confused:

61 - 80 of 105 Posts