Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently tried to buy a 60ml bottle of perfume from Amazon for my wife.
Amazon refused to sell it as they said they did not send this item to
"offshore islands".
I know we are just over a mile from the mainland but all our mail comes in GPO vans as it does to everwhere else in the UK
Has anyone any idea why they make this strange rule and, more important, how on earth do I contact them by e-mail.
George.GM
Ryde IOW

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
I recently tried to buy a 60ml bottle of perfume from Amazon for my wife.
Amazon refused to sell it as they said they did not send this item to
"offshore islands".
I know we are just over a mile from the mainland but all our mail comes in GPO vans as it does to everwhere else in the UK
Has anyone any idea why they make this strange rule and, more important, how on earth do I contact them by e-mail.
George.GM
Ryde IOW
I have had the same problem a few times but got a Royal Mail leaflet and on it was that it was illegal to send perfumed spirits by post

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not true.
Royal Mail says it is OK to send perfume as long as it is less than 150ml and has a ID8000 label on the package.
It is illegal to send perfume to "international" addresses.
What bothers me ios that some idiot at RM thinks that the Isle of Wight is an international address.
If it is, when do I get my tax relief and duty frees ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Not true.
Royal Mail says it is OK to send perfume as long as it is less than 150ml and has a ID8000 label on the package.
It is illegal to send perfume to "international" addresses.
What bothers me ios that some idiot at RM thinks that the Isle of Wight is an international address.
If it is, when do I get my tax relief and duty frees ?
Reminds me of the time a friend of mine here in Florida asked for a delivery price for a package to go to New Mexico, only to be told they don't ship international.

·
Registered
79 Posts
About 25 years I was the construction manager for a water treatment plant in the Hebrides. A supplier was sending some stuff by mail and was very leery about it. I said it'll get to Oban and onto the boat. On the island it'll get put on to Hugh's bus, he'll hand it to Jack at the Post Office. Jack will put it on Dougie's bus. Dougie will stop as he passes the site. One of the crew will get it and bring it to my office.

That's just what happened.

One of the funny things was that mail from my mother-in-law in Illinois took less time to get there than mail from the company office in Birmingham.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts