Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Does anyone have any great memories of the USA coast after the Suez Canal was closed 1967 and we sailed back home via
South Africa and the East Coast of USA. I have lost count of the ports that I have have been to between Boston to New Orleans.
One of mine is having a gun stuck in my back by a cop in a bar in Newport News, when I had had a few too many Bud's or Schliz, and told to spread my legs and line up by a wall. Glad to get out and move on to the next bar.
Happy Days with Tony Orlando Dawn and we were always putting a quarter (25c) in the jukebox in the bar to get
the song played. "Knock three times " from memory.
Cheers Ray

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All,
Does anyone have any great memories of the USA coast after the Suez Canal was closed 1967 and we sailed back home via
South Africa and the East Coast of USA. I have lost count of the ports that I have have been to between Boston to New Orleans.
One of mine is having a gun stuck in my back by a cop in a bar in Newport News, when I had had a few too many Bud's or Schliz, and told to spread my legs and line up by a wall. Glad to get out and move on to the next bar.
Happy Days with Tony Orlando Dawn and we were always putting a quarter (25c) in the jukebox in the bar to get
the song played. "Knock three times " from memory.
Cheers Ray
I sailed on mahout in the seventys remembered going to mobile alabama had a hole in the for peak mixed cement until captain decided to get a cement truck to pump it down the for peak from there we went to new Orleans went ashore with the purser Brian Miller we went to a seafood restaurant and had the biggest meals ever from there pat o Brian's for a hurricane in the pub they said if you can drink 2 hurricane you get the fancy glass I drank 2 got the glass went back to the ship trips at the gangway and broke the glass*it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sailed on mahout in the seventys remembered going to mobile alabama had a hole in the for peak mixed cement until captain decided to get a cement truck to pump it down the for peak from there we went to new Orleans went ashore with the purser Brian Miller we went to a seafood restaurant and had the biggest meals ever from there pat o Brian's for a hurricane in the pub they said if you can drink 2 hurricane you get the fancy glass I drank 2 got the glass went back to the ship trips at the gangway and broke the glass*it
Hi Tony,
Great times in New Orleans having a trip on a paddle steamer down the Mississippi with the local tourists at night and dancing with the local girls. I have a photo of me and Ken Rutter 3/E in the gallery on this site in Pat O'Briens, just had a few beers there not the hurricane.

I have no idea how you can find it nowadays in the gallery. Other great nights I remember in New Orleans was a party on board with an 18 yo nurse.
I get a knock on the cabin door saab, saab I am sick. I got the key that I had to the medicine cabinet and gave him some
cocaine( no controls in those days!). She looked at me and said "Are mad giving out cocaine like that?"
After so many Tennents or Harp Lager I could not think straight but he was ok next day.
Happy Days
Ray

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Tony,
Great times in New Orleans having a trip on a paddle steamer down the Mississippi with the local tourists at night and dancing with the local girls. I have a photo of me and Ken Rutter 3/E in the gallery on this site in Pat O'Briens, just had a few beers there not the hurricane.

I have no idea how you can find it nowadays in the gallery. Other great nights I remember in New Orleans was a party on board with an 18 yo nurse.
I get a knock on the cabin door saab, saab I am sick. I got the key that I had to the medicine cabinet and gave him some
cocaine( no controls in those days!). She looked at me and said "Are mad giving out cocaine like that?"
After so many Tennents or Harp Lager I could not think straight but he was ok next day.
Happy Days
Ray
Hi raymon I remember Ken rutter well I'm sure he was a professional 3rd as was Charlie drought and a few others who I ant remember but I remember Ken well

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hi Tony,
I found the link where I posted a photo of Ken Rutter and me in Pat O'Briens, New Orleans.
I am sure that you will recognise Ken on the left.
Cheers Ray

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Was during a trip to the USA and we got friendly with a few of the stevedores. After a night out one of them said he had a really bad headache. i can help hat so I went down to the medical locker and got a couple of codeine tablets and gave them to him. At that time these pills were freely available at any chemist store in the UK and no prescription was needed. A short while later a knock on the door and two large gentlemen presented themselves and flashed their badges, FBI. Are you the person that gave a stevedore an illegal drug ?? I had to say I did and then we had a conversation about what I had given to the guy. Have you any more and again I said I had many more and showed them the medical locker with what supplies we had. Also explained these pills are freely available from any pharmacy in the UK as over-the-counter medication. Didn't get arrested had a couple of beers and they showed me their firearms without the magazines in them. Different ideas about what rules were in other countries.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts