Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be re inventing the wheel,... thread wise.

Went to Governor’s Island, (home of Amver) 1968. Quite impressive, I thought, with two operatives handling the incoming information, including vessels having doctors etc.. The first opo would type out the info onto a hard paper card, then pass that card to the second opo, who would retype the same info, effectively overtyping the first opo.
If no error, the card was then passed to the computer and stored on, what I would describe as a curling stone type device. Any error, in the typing of info by the opo’s and it was back to the first opo.
All OBS messages sent to USA stations, the QTH’s were entered into this system.
In the event of seagoing instances, Amver could generate a SURPIC (Surface picture) of all vessels close to that incident with the appropriate on board facilities, for example a doctor.

Sailing with Shaw Saville and Blue Star across the South Pacific to Oz and NZ, Amver was quite helpful on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I sent AMVERS, but I thought they were used by US to keep track of MN vessels. Same OBS msgs were used for same.

Loved photo. Two Nebulas. When I had one, I was ecstatic.

·
Premium Member
10,423 Posts
Come on! You can blame the Federal Seascouts for many regulatory ills but failure to respond utmostly in coming to anyone's aid is not one of them.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
We knew them as Eddystone EC958's, which were used for RT calls. Note the 'round thing' that we stuck a finger in and rotated to connect a call !!!

David
+

·
Registered
779 Posts
We knew them as Eddystone EC958's, which were used for RT calls. Note the 'round thing' that we stuck a finger in and rotated to connect a call !!!

David
+
Sorry, David, I thought, on seeing, it was a ship station. In '72 I had my gear upgraded , from O'span and Mercury and Elettra rx's to a 'Commandant' and 'Nebula' rx. Magic!

Best rgds, D

·
Registered
779 Posts
Come on! You can blame the Federal Seascouts for many regulatory ills but failure to respond utmostly in coming to anyone's aid is not one of them.
Failure to respond is out of order. You were an R/O yourself, you knew the score. AMVER? I know what the acronym stood for, but did they ever help in 'mutual vessel rescue'. Where were AMVER when the 'Munchen' was lost?

I stand to be corrected, I've had a few low flyers.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I should have said that this was GKZ. The 958's replaced in-house PO built RXs and Mercury's. They were also 'magic' for us, but actually it was because they - the Mercury's and PO RX's - were not SSB.

In the Dec 1969 photo, the Ops point is the RT 2182 Distress Watch and Broadcast. The 2182 speaker is next to the dial. Those on the left of the mike are Ch16 VHF with the working channels next to them. The WT 500 watch is on the right, and behind two working psns that were 2684 and 3778 during busier times. These had Mercury RXs. The tall psn at the back was the Oil/Gas services SSB RT on 3624/3324 . (RTT was on the LSB)

David
+

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,423 Posts
Duncan, While I would bow to your interest in that loss Wiki seems to show the distress was promptly raised and co-ordinated by LandsEndRadio I do not see what use another RCC would have been and I am sure the surpic would have been a resource of which they would have been aware and could (did?) call upon.

That is not to argue that the positioning data is not shared (and perhaps thereby subsidising the service?). Why should the honest sailor-boy be worried?

My jaundice is more set against the administration that thinks that a 40 year old jumboized vessel would ever be safe in normal trade even if it had been managed and manned by the most competent of the competent (and who is to say El Faro was not at least manned to that standard. Almost by definition I suppose I must exclude the possibility of managers fitting that bill).

So much for their regulation of their own flag vessels. Their escape from all blame in that case makes Crown immunity look like a very mild advantage taken by the State.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Sorry, David, my post was probably too strong, for which I apologise. Blame it on the low flyer. It's just that I was a bit pissed off re 'Munchen'. GKA and other stations/DAN were superb. The MN ships/ROs were superb. Rant over.

Best rgds, D

·
Registered
779 Posts
I should have said that this was GKZ. The 958's replaced in-house PO built RXs and Mercury's. They were also 'magic' for us, but actually it was because they - the Mercury's and PO RX's - were not SSB.

In the Dec 1969 photo, the Ops point is the RT 2182 Distress Watch and Broadcast. The 2182 speaker is next to the dial. Those on the left of the mike are Ch16 VHF with the working channels next to them. The WT 500 watch is on the right, and behind two working psns that were 2684 and 3778 during busier times. These had Mercury RXs. The tall psn at the back was the Oil/Gas services SSB RT on 3624/3324 . (RTT was on the LSB)

David

You have me baffled with all that gear, David. Thanks for the info though. I always found R/Os in Brit coast stations very helpful. Also, same applies to every other CS I worked(almost) worldwide.

Best rgds, D

·
Registered
149 Posts
I remember in the 1970 being awarded the Amver Blue Pennant, as we had been on the plot for 12 months..that was on the "Viajero", Booth Line. We also used to do the Meteorological Reports for the Americans as well and they were always very grateful and used to supply some very useful gear

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
From memory cz in the early 1960s they used to go to the AMVER co-ordination center in the New York Customs House (shared with the US Coast Guard). Remember getting an invite to visit but the date indicated was the day after we sailed. The guy who invited me was keen to show off their new office, so I guess they'd been somewhere else before that but I don't know where.

Later they moved to Washington DC but by then I was long-time ashore.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From memory cz in the early 1960s they used to go to the AMVER co-ordination center in the New York Customs House (shared with the US Coast Guard). Remember getting an invite to visit but the date indicated was the day after we sailed. The guy who invited me was keen to show off their new office, so I guess they'd been somewhere else before that but I don't know where.

Later they moved to Washington DC but by then I was long-time ashore.
Hi Ron, ref my #1 , all your details, ie coast guard etc I remember, but would the customs house been on Governors Island, as I am pretty sure that is where I went with another Booth Line R/O

Peter

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Hi Ron, ref my #1 , all your details, ie coast guard etc I remember, but would the customs house been on Governors Island, as I am pretty sure that is where I went with another Booth Line R/O

Peter
Pete,

The US Custom House was a very grand place, right down at the Southern tip of Manhattan, not on Governor's Island, so that didn't seem right. You raised doubts in my mind about my memory (not unusual these days) and forced me to search for AMVER on the web. Found it quite difficult because Google refused to recognise the term and insisted in showing me links to a firm called Amber - must be a good advertising client of theirs. However I persisted and eventually found this on Wiki.

It seems that Governor's Island is where it moved to from the US Custom House and before it moved to Washington DC.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts