Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this pic on a FB page.
Never seen one before. How do you read the time? Seems it is well preseved.
The post said;
Here’s an oldie... still works.... dated 1948 - note some of the cities and countries shown...

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
04 hours 42 minutes 11 seconds. The clock has a 24 hour movement, rare but not extremely unusual in communications environments.

I have a modern 24 hour clock which is on my wall. One in white or black dial is available from Amazon. The clock in the picture which I attach is the one from Amazon and it's reading 20:10:14 or 2010 hours and 14 seconds.

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
The world time card is rotated by the user so that the time zone in which you are located aligns with the top of the dial.
You can then read off the time for other parts of the world by the hour corresponding the their sector.
If it was properly lined up then the 'local' time would be 17:12, but Zulu time 11:12.
They were made by a company called Timing Devices Co, of McKeesport, Pennsylvania, from around 1948 to 1955.
As it is an electric clock it might need some 'adjustment' to work in other countries.

·
Registered
85 Posts
17 hours 12 minutes 11 seconds. ????

Not on the clock above. It is NOW showing 20 hours 10 minutes 14 seconds. Zulu.

Stephen
The original poster asked "how do you read this clock" and I responded with the time that original clock reads. The clock in the picture that I attached is the one from Amazon and it's reading 20:10:14 or 2010 hours and 14 seconds. The brand of the clock is Trintec and isi available in black or white face. https://smile.amazon.com/Trintec-Hour-Military-Time-Clock/dp/B00PECGJWW

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
The original poster asked "how do you read this clock" and I responded with the time that original clock reads. The clock in the picture that I attached is the one from Amazon and it's reading 20:10:14 or 2010 hours and 14 seconds. The brand of the clock is Trintec and isi available in black or white face. https://smile.amazon.com/Trintec-Hour-Military-Time-Clock/dp/B00PECGJWW

Whew! If you made a mistake like that your sights would be practically worthless!

Stephen

·
Registered
29 Posts
17 hours 12 minutes 11 seconds. ????
I can't see beyond 04:42:11.... Due to the positioning of the 'Short' Hand nearly at 05, and the 'Long' hand at 42, but then I have never seen one of these before, so perhaps off mark! Trying in my mind, to see how it lines up for GMT.....

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Is it not amazing when someone makes a mistake and others following fail to spot it but slavishly continue with the error?
Mea culpa!
Yes, of course the time shown is 04:42:11
If the world time card is moved a couple of degrees clockwise so that the red arrows line up with the hour marks then the time shown would be Standard Time in Nome, Alaska.
Zulu time, GMT, UTC would be 11:43:11.

PS - I have just checked a couple of the time zones shown and best advice is: Do not rely on it, 'times' have changed since that clock was made.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Bugger! You made me buy a new "Zulu" clock for the kitchen! The missus is going to be very confused.........
Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
85 Posts
Whew! If you made a mistake like that your sights would be practically worthless!

Stephen
The Amazon clock was easy to read, but I didn't recognize which hand was longer in the original photo, maybe I was confused by the glare, and my eyesight is poor anyway which doesn't help. I've corrected my errors in the above posts. My posting a second 24 hour movement clock didn't help the confusion but added to it. Are we having fun yet? It's almost as fun as having the radio department advancing or retarding each of the three watches by 20 minutes throughout the night watches. Further confuse that by a trip to the bridge where they even divide that up in smaller bites to equalize the night shifts of the seamen there. Am I confused yet? I don't know but my brain has pieces that make noises when I shake my head now. Darn it why doesn't the world just use Zulu time?

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
LOL.
Darn it why doesn't the world just use Zulu time?
What is ZULU time? Is Zulu = UTC. Zulu is NOT GMT!!!! It is 'corrected' time... the difference is 0.9 seconds different. This stared in 1972 or 1973. I guess about time we were getting radio time signals so we were using the correction between UTC and Chronometer. I guess I just did not quite understand what it was all about. Why not just use GMT instead of the fancy work Zulu? I thought it was just some 'foreign' country in Denver wanted to change. :-(

Looking at the clock (first post) showing all of the time zone names. Great times. Went through Google to see how these names are using today. Interesting. Then I spied a whole list of zones as, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, etc etc and then at the bottom is Zulu. All of these names are listed as 'Military' zones. Zulu is + - Zero. All now becomes 'clear'. I guess I was only ever using GMT and Local Time for navigational time. The rest didn't matter.

Stephen

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
So, Stephen, after your research, am I right in believing that Zulu is current local time, irrespective of Greenwich?

When travelling, I always leave my analog timepiece at Local Mexico City (GMT -6) and use my phone for local time. My missus, however, was very confused when I was once in Auckland and said I would be home "tomorrow", Friday. She didn't realize that, flying out on Friday from Auckland, I would repeat Friday, arriving in Mexico City on the same day!

Looking forward to my Amazon delivery (next Friday).

Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
7,617 Posts
Universal Time Coordinated - internationally accepted time for navigation and communication etc.
Even NASA and others use it on the international space station.
Military use Z for Zulu and others have adopted the term.
Based on GMT and for most practical purposes is the same but nowadays used mainly by astronomers.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
"So, Stephen, after your research, am I right in believing that Zulu is current local time, irrespective of Greenwich?"
Dave, ZULU stays same as GMT.... nothing to do with 'time saving'.... that changes from Zulu or to Zulu Plus One. Or call it 'GMT Plus One' during 'time saving'.

Malcom, UTC or Zulu... is still the same. I think we are on the right track. :)

Stephen

·
Premium Member
10,620 Posts
GMT/UTC surely are both the same and by practice 'kept' by atomic timekeepers. To tell the longitude by astronomical means it is necessary to know the solar time which is 'kept' by the imprecise timekeeper which is Mother Earth. Telling that time can only be done by the astronomers and, to humour those who keep UTC/GMT on atomic clocks, leap seconds are added or subtracted to ensure the difference is never more than 0.9 seconds. The prime meridian if calculated from UTC 'wanders' and can make it towards the boundaries of the Greenwich observatory grounds before being dragged back by a 'correction'.

Why do we not use Zulu time everywhere? Excellent questioning. I do not know but I do (barring a few remaining user overfamiliar timepieces which are radio controlled). In Summer this can result in my guests being surprised by the lateness of the hour when reaching home.

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
The name ZULU is for GMT.... makes sense to me. There are 25 time zone. Each zone if given a name, one from letter of the alphabet. The letters are named after the phonetic alphabet. ALPHA BRAVE CHARLE DELTA ECHO etc

Zones A to M are those in EAST hemisphere have values Zone ALPHA + 1 hr. Zone BRAVO is +2 on to Zone M + 12 hrs, Zones N to Y are in WEST hemisphere etc... Zone NOVEMBER - 1 hrs. Zone .OSCAR - 2 hrs etc etc.

The odd one is ZULU.... right on the middle of Greenwhich. at Zero time Zone. ZULU + or - Zero.

Hard not to forget it... Z... ZULU, ZONE, ZERO. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! Sorry.

Stephen

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Jeez! Let me explain all of this to the "missus"!!!! She is going to be very confused!
Clock arrives Friday.
Rgds.
Dave

1 - 20 of 31 Posts