Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some have suggested that this might be an anchor, a harpoon or a plow. From end to end its 62 3/8" long. Each side of the bar is 1". The metal side shoots are located 5 1/2" and are 8 3/4" long and the located 12" are 8 1/2" long from the pointed end. The chain link is 5 3/4" x 2 1/2". It weights 24 lbs. Please see photos for reference. Thank you for assistances in identifying this item.
Robert

Attachments

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Doesn't look like a grappling hook, either, as the cuvature of the (flukes? grapples?) turns the wrong way at the ends. For the same reason, that seems to rule out any kind of anchor.

Good luck! I'm sure that somebody here will know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn't look like a grappling hook, either, as the cuvature of the (flukes? grapples?) turns the wrong way at the ends. For the same reason, that seems to rule out any kind of anchor.

Good luck! I'm sure that somebody here will know.
Thank you for your expertise and I can rule out it being an anchor.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
It looks like a type of retrieval tool , fold the flukes back, drop it through an space or orifice of an object to be retrieved and on pulling back the flukes open out.
Reminds me of the Ramset fitting that you push through a plasterboard wall to mount a fitting

Bob

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
I have seen a similar sort of tool used by the Local Authority guys removing a blockage on a main drain/sewer.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
That's what I had in mind Pat , push the pointy end into the mire ten pull back opening the prongs and dragging the blockage free.

Bob

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
It would feel about the same size. (Smoke)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Isn't it----

---a type of kedge anchor?

You've got the opposing anchor-ends so it can 'grip' onto the bottom, and a shackle, which is being displayed by someone's hand, to be attached to the rope/chain attaching anchor to vessel. Sherlock Holmes, (aka Phil.(Thumb)).

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
It looks like a type of retrieval tool , fold the flukes back, drop it through an space or orifice of an object to be retrieved and on pulling back the flukes open out.
Reminds me of the Ramset fitting that you push through a plasterboard wall to mount a fitting

Bob
The same principle was used for a toggle harpoon. The wings would open inside the whale. I have only seen drawings and those I saw had only two wings. However it seems possible to me that this is a variant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
---a type of kedge anchor?

You've got the opposing anchor-ends so it can 'grip' onto the bottom, and a shackle, which is being displayed by someone's hand, to be attached to the rope/chain attaching anchor to vessel. Sherlock Holmes, (aka Phil.(Thumb)).
No I do not have the opposing anchor-ends.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The same principle was used for a toggle harpoon. The wings would open inside the whale. I have only seen drawings and those I saw had only two wings. However it seems possible to me that this is a variant.
Michael Taylor, an authorian on harpoons, has already ruled that its not a harpoon. That would be cool if it had been.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Looks like a smaller version of a compost bin aeration tool that I use to have.
Push it down through the compost and when you pull it up the prongs open out and mix/aeriate the muck.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Sorry Robert, have just returned from my stint at the Museum and can assure you along with the leading brains on the subject that it is not a whaling harpoon....everything is wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Looks like a smaller version of a compost bin aeration tool that I use to have.
Push it down through the compost and when you pull it up the prongs open out and mix/aeriate the muck.
I very much like this idea. Also quite apt that an ancient ****-stirrer should provoke such interest in SN. Reminiscent of the good old days.(Whaaa)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts