Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANCHOR LINE GLASGOW
kIWI ENGINEER 1954 TO 1957 ON EGIDIA,CILICIA.TASHINIA,FOGOTTEN MOST NAMES BUT DO REMEMBER A DAVY HENDERSON. MAYBE SOMEONE IS STILL AROUND.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Welcome PK,you are now amongts the the sea loving fraternity, although it seems most of us left it a few years ago, but only physically, our minds are still there.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Welcome PK to SN,
Hope you enjoy the site and feel sure there are members who will be able to assist you - may even be an old shipmate around.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Senior member and Mike , I might strike lucky,though there is a lot of water through the engine room since 1954.
PK.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
A memory of the Anchor Line in Glasgow:the houseflag at the East end of Yorkhill Quay taken in the 1970s when it was still quite legible.
Faded away over the years and now is covered by a hoarding for one of the many companies occupying the sheds nowadays.

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
Paul,
A bit of history covered up, but at least it still exists at the moment, for how much longer - until some developer comes along I suspect ? Every year goes by I get more cynical.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Say Hello

PKiddell said:
ANCHOR LINE GLASGOW
kIWI ENGINEER 1954 TO 1957 ON EGIDIA,CILICIA.TASHINIA,FOGOTTEN MOST NAMES BUT DO REMEMBER A DAVY HENDERSON. MAYBE SOMEONE IS STILL AROUND.
Hello PK I made my first trip deep sea on the Egidea. That wass on the Suez crisis when she was comandeered by the government. I signed on for the following trip as she resumed the Bombay run. Don't remember the engineers but the e/r storekeeper was John Docherty , the old man was Wille Mc Vicar and the mate was a hard man by the name of Mclarty. I was a mere DHUand was the sailors peggy , were you there? Joesoap

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Welcome to SN it seems already you are getting some feedback, I hope you enjoy yourself here.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Do not know if it is true,one or two scots boys who crewed with me had been on the Egidia and Cilicia,they related that when on the NY run carrying whiskey,there was plenty to be had stolen cargo I presume.One trip this guy joined her and went to the mess to get a drink,when he went to the geyser to get some hot water even that was full of the stuff,he said it was everywhere compliments of the dockers True or false

·
Registered
181 Posts
PK I sailed with a Chief Engineer Henderson , on, I think it was the Exmoor in the late 70's which might have been the same guy. At this stage iI didn't know who I was working for Anchor line or Runcimans.

·
Registered
365 Posts
janbonde said:
Do not know if it is true,one or two scots boys who crewed with me had been on the Egidia and Cilicia,they related that when on the NY run carrying whiskey,there was plenty to be had stolen cargo I presume.One trip this guy joined her and went to the mess to get a drink,when he went to the geyser to get some hot water even that was full of the stuff,he said it was everywhere compliments of the dockers True or false
Its true always plenty of spare whisky on the NY run care of dockers and anchor Line.(Sidonia)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Egidia not my first ship,however sailed on the following with Anchor Line ,Exmoor x 2,Caledonia x2,Hazelmoor, Calabria x 2 and Eucadia. Left Anchor line 1980 when they stated selling off most of their ships.
Did experience the bombay trips or ofcourse it is now got a fancy new name.
Firey

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Any old Anchor line guys remember a chief engineer Jimmy Meikle.

sailed with him a couple of times when he joined Denholms.
Used to tell us that his baldness was caused the the proximity of the
upper bunk when entertaining female passengers on the lower bunk.

He was a great chap - everyone from the Master down was "hey thingmy".

Still have his receipy for "Meikle's clooty dumpling".

JC

·
Registered
181 Posts
JC

Most name escape me now but I can remember a notable indvidual "Wacker Duncan" who was a 3/e at the time and I can remember he lived in Gourock. He always referred to his wife as the bint. Sailed with him in 1977, I don't know if this was your era. The old man at the time was John Swan.
Regards
Firey

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
firey,

Never sailed with Anchor line, but always with Denholms which was where I sailed
with Jimmy Meikle. Always lived in Gourock but don't remember a 3/e Duncan.

JC

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Janbonde, during my time on the Egidia we did the whisky run to New York then down to Baltimore to load wheat for the U.K. and like you were told cargo whisky flowed freely curtesy of the wharfies and the Highland deck crew. One trip on arrival at New York the cargo assessors refused to allow No.1 hold to be unloaded due to the pillage , and that might have been the trip that we arrived back at Yorkhill with the crew still drinking t0he stuff. Good smugglers!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Firey, could be the same Davey Henderson that I'd sailed with, a real nice bloke ,tried to track him down when I was in Glasgow in 1962 but by then Anchor line seemed to be on the way out and I didn't have enough info to track him down.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Joesoap, luckily didn't do out East on the Egidia,but remember well the time we spent alongside Bombay on the Cilicia,it was work from 6am to midday then off to Breach Candy ( not sure of the spelling) for the afternoon, then the ultimate an evening at the mission for a warm beer, because of prohibition I think we were only allowed one beer.. Still it was all a great experience and good to look back on.

·
Registered
181 Posts
PKiddell said:
Firey, could be the same Davey Henderson that I'd sailed with, a real nice bloke ,tried to track him down when I was in Glasgow in 1962 but by then Anchor line seemed to be on the way out and I didn't have enough info to track him down.
PK

It sound like the same chap he was a charming guy .When I sailed with him (1977)he had his wife with him but during the trip he didn't keep the best of health 4 months anchored off Iran did't help.
Firey

1 - 20 of 92 Posts