Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anchor Line / Comben Longstaff / Hain Nourse

Would like to hear from colleagues from Anchor Line. Its such a long time ago but from 1957 - 1962 I served with some great people. Ian Cadenhead was a Scottish engineer on Tarantia, Egidia etc. It would be very good to get back in touch with him again. Also Chris Hodson.
There are so many other names which spring to mind. Donald Goodfellow who worked with me in James Nourse and Hain Nourse.
I remember also Tommy McAlpine and Ian Hassan who were apprentices with me. Gordon Perry was my first senior apprentice on the Trevaylor and we were together again on the Circassia.
I am now a grandfather but just thinking of these people brings me right back to my youth again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
which pier in new york did "anchor line" dock..I,think they stopped the new york run in 1956. the bad news is yorkhill quay was seriously damaged by fire last night the east end of it next to the old ferry,i think foul play is suspected your's edcasey.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Brian
Did my first trip on the Egidia 22/8 /56 as D H U . She was requisitioned by the government for the Suez crisis. The memory for names is not too hot but I do remember that the old man was Mc Vicker, brother of the Rev Angus , author of Salt in my porridge. The mate was Mr Mc Clarty, The bosun was John Russell and the engine room storekeeper was John Docherty. For the rest I can see the faces and even remember the voices but the names escape me. That was some trip , we lay at anchor in the Cowes roads for thirteen weeks with no shore leave . A convoy of around fifteen ships and we had 300 squaddies aboard in hammocks in the upper tween decks of five and six hatch.
My only other Anchor boat was the Tyria on the yankee east coast runs with the whisky and a few prize cattle and race horses. The old man was Thomson. January 59 till July 59 was four trips of about six weeks. We were all for the most part Glesca keelies and Teuchers and really got along quite well but as you'll know there were the occassional outbursts over the gaelic just to liven things up for a change. Many great memories though. We never did much mixing with the midshisps crowd but you might have some name for me to jog the old memory eh! Joesoap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi BRIAN,
Please , help me out, t.s.s. Nankin. A ship I am not sure of,
which company it belonged to. Thanks, Cees.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hi Brian,

I remember 'Cuddles' Caidenhead well, infact I new him when I was a boy in Lochfiled Paisley where he came from and sailed with him when he was 2/E.
I too sailed in Anchor LIne from 1962 to 1965. In the Sidonia, Circassia and Cilicia. I was 3rd.Mate then Xtra 2nd Mate. Your name rings a bell but age has dulled my hearing somewhat.

Jim Currie

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi Brian, Do you come from Belfast (Bangor). I sailed on the Egidia early 1961 as a junior R/O, one of the apprentices was ? Purvis. regards Robin

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hi Brian, Do you come from Belfast (Bangor). I sailed on the Egidia early 1961 as a junior R/O, one of the apprentices was ? Purvis. regards Robin
Robin, yes he comes from Bangor. I knew him well. Was up for 2nd.Mates with him at Belfast. Sent him a PM with no response. Regards Colin

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks Colin it seems the same chap, if so I remember visiting his home when we sailed into Belfast. Regards Robin

·
Registered
365 Posts
which pier in new york did "anchor line" dock..I,think they stopped the new york run in 1956. the bad news is yorkhill quay was seriously damaged by fire last night the east end of it next to the old ferry,i think foul play is suspected your's edcasey.
Hi Ed, Just been told it was pier 51. I know it was at the end of Jane Street on the edge of Greenwich Village. We were still sailing there in 1964-65. Regards Robin

·
Registered
234 Posts
I posted the following last year:

A friend of mine William (Bill) Irons (engineer), sailed on the Caledonia and Tyria in the late 1950's.

I noticed on this thread that there was reference to the Tyria, any takers?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Banni
Twas I on the Tyria late fifies . EDH then . I mentoned a few mames on that previous post if you care to read it you could possiblyl add to it well hopefully . Lotsa great memories from the states and the Mersey ports .

·
Registered
164 Posts
Riptide

Tell me what was the Hazelmoor like in 76-77. I did my first two trips lasting nearly 2 years as from 1957. Of course that was when she was Moor Line.
My first ship and many happy memories however she was hardworking even then.

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
perhaps some of you Anchor Line chaps remember the incident in the Clyde, early sixties, when the Circassia came steaming into the side of the Blue Funnel Jason, which was alongside at Meadowbank Quay.
We were all coming back from a night ashore and were actually on the gangway when there was a hell of a bang and all the moorings parted like ropeyarn. If it hadnt been for the insurance wires, Jason would have drifted off down the river.
We spent all night tying her up again, without the aid of any shoregang.
I never found out what exactly went wrong on the Circassia, but whatever it was, it put us in Barclay Curles drydock for six weeks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi Pat
First I've heard of that meadowbank incident . Surely not the best way to fnish off a good run ashore . Worse though must have been six weeks in Govan and Betty's bar for orders. Cheers !

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Actually, its a good long way from Barclay Curles to Betty's bar, but we found a good pub just outside the yard gates.
Pat

·
Registered
449 Posts
Riptide

Tell me what was the Hazelmoor like in 76-77. I did my first two trips lasting nearly 2 years as from 1957. Of course that was when she was Moor Line.
My first ship and many happy memories however she was hardworking even then.
Hello baileysan.It was a bit of a shock to the system.Yes I had been on Ships like her in the 60s,but things had moved on.After being on UMS ships it took some getting used too.The Chief asked me what I thought of her & I said I didn't think Ships like her were still at sea.I had just finished a 6 month trip on the Caledonia,2 days at home when the office phoned up & asked me to relieve for 1 wk. Stayed 6 wks. Joined Manchester payed off Glasgow.Good lads on board made it a lot easier.Kenny.P.S. bunks were made for matchstick men & I was only about 10st-4lbs.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hazelmoor

Riptide. Thanks your reply. I was "fiver" on her down the alleyway Stbd side.
I think I spent more time cleaning the scavenge belt out then anything else, we had fires quite often.
I sailed with Moor line for quite a while ending up as 2/Eng, good times whilst it lasted.
I have noted a few names from Anchor Line that I knew in both Moor Line and UASC. Bobby Watt, nice guy and good master, Tommy Rowe ex Moor Line a really nice chap.
I am well retired from the marine world now but away tomorrow on a cruise up the Baltic rekindle a few memories I hope.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have noted a few names from Anchor Line that I knew in both Moor Line and UASC. Bobby Watt, nice guy and good master, Tommy Rowe ex Moor Line a really nice chap.
I sailed with Tommy Rowe when he was Master of "Star Assyria". In my opinion he was a first class man and one that I will remember all my days. He was a delight to sail with - WillieB

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI Robin. Sorry to be so long to reply. After I registered with SN, I didn't log in again for quite a while and then it took me some time to find my way around the website. Yes I am from Bangor but now living in Newtownabbey, Co Antrim. I retired at the end of 1998 but continued doing part time survey work around Port of Belfast. I'd be very interested in hearing from you again.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts