Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There has been little, if any, mention of the way the 'lockdown' must be affecting the oil-producing Country's and their ancillaries. I.e. with the ban on travel of all kinds the resultant cut-back on fuel consumption from jet-fuel, (kerosene), cruise-ships, (heavy oil), HGV's, (diesel), through to private cars, (petrol/diesel) has got to be tremendous, yet there has been no mention of this. (I wonder if those multi-billionaire Sheiks are starting to feel the pinch!).

There is an indication, here in the UK, that bulk-oil prices must be going-down as petrol has dipped below the £1.00 a litre. A price not seen for a long time!

However every cloud, (lockdown), has a silver-lining! The 'stagnation' in oil-usage will mean, surely, there will be an 'extension' to the time when the oil, finally, runs-out! Phil(Whaaa)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Indeed as with coal the profits, if any, remains underground.
While I agree it means oil lasting longer it should hopefully drive us into a direction of other fuels.
Maybe towards a cleaner form of power.
Davie

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
Long before this and even before the irresponsible lending scandal I have been of the opinion that we cannot rely continual growth for a healthy economy or should want to. A stable and sustainable population with production limited to preserving the status quo with 'development' aimed at making that production more efficient (and perhaps more functional although what we have now seems pretty much more than we need) and in the area of medicine.

Profits? It is reasonable that shareholders, as with the owners of a small shop, should get a fare return on what they invest or on the investment that they buy from others. I also believe that it is fair that one is allowed to pass on that privilege as one wishes/wills, as with the corner shop. What place gambling, hedge funds, and lending without accepting the risk of doing so have in the scheme of things I do not know.

(No, I am not trying to replace Greta Doom Goblin in the greenies' affections!).

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
What about the atmospheric pollution drop, clear water in Venice waterways , they can see the fish!
Our city motorway sensors show local air pollution down to zero, how clear must be the skies over Heathrow ?
Are these changes everywhere the seed to slow climate change ?
Somehow , I am sure that the whole crisis may wrought everlasting changes to our ways of life in one way or another.

Bob

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Just before sunset we had the first contrail of the day! The sky has been cloudless all day but normally would have been criss-crossed with contrails, which often spread during the day to provide a layer of light, high cloud.

Today there was none of that, it was good to see.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Here in my little town in the middle of Victoria, diesel is now $1.29 cents a litre, about 63 pence. Its is actually cheaper than petrol, which is very rare.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Interestingly the price of heating oil rose slightly last week.

For a couple of years the Saudis haven't been spending as much on project work, seemed to start picking up lately but this may put a new slant on things.

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Petrol prices in the UK are still robbery . Price in Saint John yesterday 39.2 pence a liter.
NZ prices for 91 octane hovering around $2.00 (£1.00) , it drives the idea of electric cars with our 80% generation from free renewable sources .

Bob

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
NZ prices for 91 octane hovering around $2.00 (£1.00) , it drives the idea of electric cars with our 80% generation from free renewable sources .

Bob
Thanks Bob ; But I dont understand your 80% generation from free renewable sources .
You are on a major fault line so Nuke is not an option ( although the best )
Wind you have lots of but very costly so in now way "Free"
Not enough sunlight for photo cell generation ( also costly and certainly not free )

Perhaps someone has eventually kicked in to how to harness your thermal springs ??

Electric cars are a novel notion still with battery issues ( Battery disposal issues ) and the fact that world wide at this time and the immediate future almost all electricity produced to recharge would be provided by fossil fuels pumping the pollution into the same air the car uses .
Electric cars are in my mind still a long way away unless energy is produced by Nuke .
It may make the rich and uninformed feel good but the net result will be zero .

Cheers Derek

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Derek, google list of power stations in New Zealand to see a whole pile of Hydro stations big and small which covers the bulk of our needs while wind , geo- thermal , and thermal backs it up.
One Hydro station ,the 850 mw Manapouri unit , is totally devoted to supplying the Rio Tinto aluminium smelter at Bluff for the last forty years where it refines ore mined in Queensland's far north and shipped down .
RT is threatening to shut down the pot lines as aluminium prices fall and aircraft manufacture turns to carbon fibre and other materials and if this happens NZ will have a generating surplus of about 15% . Great on the surface but refinery closure would cause huge unemployment in Southland and to use the surplus up in the more power voracious North Island we would have to upgrade the transmission lines.
Sure, it not really free but the energy that drives it is.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Derek, google list of power stations in New Zealand to see a whole pile of Hydro stations big and small which covers the bulk of our needs while wind , geo- thermal , and thermal backs it up.
One Hydro station ,the 850 mw Manapouri unit , is totally devoted to supplying the Rio Tinto aluminium smelter at Bluff for the last forty years where it refines ore mined in Queensland's far north and shipped down .
RT is threatening to shut down the pot lines as aluminium prices fall and aircraft manufacture turns to carbon fibre and other materials and if this happens NZ will have a generating surplus of about 15% . Great on the surface but refinery closure would cause huge unemployment in Southland and to use the surplus up in the more power voracious North Island we would have to upgrade the transmission lines.
Sure, it not really free but the energy that drives it is.

Bob
Thanks Bob ; you are indeed lucky ; I did not realise you have so much Hydro.
In New Brunswick we have a lot of Hydro and Nuke > I am not in the market for electic yet ; too early plus in many places the electricity is generated by fossil fuel so no saving on emissions .
Cheers Derek

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Mad Mike Pompeo.."It's man made"...No it's not man made..

https://youtu.be/ZHjRH3maQOU

Mind you, we have our own liars..Gove praised health secretary Matt Hancock’s “amazing success in increasing testing”, which he said means the public will have “greater confidence” in the government as they move into the next phase of lockdown....

I have even less confidence in government information after Hancock's 'fiddle factor'...

After all, If I claimed that I'd built a model of the 'Titanic' using 100,000 matches ( but most of those matches were still in their boxes) I don't think it would count..

Sorry; I thought I'd posted this under JJ's Covid in SW...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts