Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have a friend of mine whose son has just completed his Engineer training through Clyde Marine but has no permanent job at the end of it it. Does anyone know of any companies agencies etc who might take on Junior engineers.
John

·
Registered
37 Posts
I fear there is little chance of a permanent job at sea nowadays, almost all work is from contract to contract.. Work your contract, be that 3, 4, 6 or more months, be paid off within 1 month with a derisory additional fixed "Holiday Pay" . Stay at home as long as you want while sorting out your own Pay/NHI/PAYE/Pension and hope you can get another ship when eventually penniless. This suits some folk but the British Merchant Navy circa 1960 it 'aint.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
They are a Coastal company who do full salaried positions for all ranks but Whitakers may be worth a contact. They only carry chief and 2nd engineers but have been known to hire less senior engineers to train for the future. Contact details are available on their website whitakertanker.com Hope this is helpful?

·
Registered
701 Posts
try james fisher tankships, decent salarys, paid leave, expenses paid and uk tax/nhi paid. I worked with them for 15yrs until retirement and then they were employing fledglings.

Engine Sarang is correct in what he says for working deep sea. There are probably outfits offering permanent employment but a lot do voyage trips only.

I was fortunate when I went foreign flag in the 80's I was paid monthly then at the end of my contract got the same daily rate for leave pay, 4 month trip would give me 60 days leave pay. If I liked the Company I would tell them when I wanted to return and they would then arrange it. This was true for all foreign flag trips. Just be careful and save for tax and maybe NI contributions. There is also the possibility of paying no tax or NI depending on qualifying days and vessel ownership. Best use an expert in this first.

Whatever he does good luck with the venture.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi I am retired now but worked various contracts when overseas on rigs and ships did the 90 day rule for a number of years and used Seatax found them to be very good and straight down the line no dodgy stuff. Seatax only do tax though and cannot give advise on pension contributions etc so I used a financial advisor (Save and Invest) later to get the most out of pension contributions/tax etc.
Will pass on this advice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don`t know what the position is at the moment, but around 3-6 months back, the RFA where having a recruiting "drive" inviting aplications. If that is of any interest?. Could be worth a C-V?.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
If unsuccessful, I would be contacting the Power Generators and or CHP/EFW contractor outfits.

They are very selective in their recruitment requirements, however those with a "heavy" engineering background will be much to the fore.

BW
J:cool::cool:

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
Ah dear this one can be a grind. It’s just a matter of waiting for a berth. This time of year is better though.

Clyde Marine is actually a good bet to start with, Faststream is another.

Almost all the companies tend to work through agencies but no harm in approaching any of them on spec .

Cal Mac is always worth a punt

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
Clyde are a big group these days. They have a separate manning and recruitment arm. Definitely register with them.

I wouldn’t actually pester any company but a wee phone call every three or four weeks doesn’t go wrong - well up until they tell you **** off 😄

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
While I( wonder if I would encourage a youngster to go to sea these days I suggest that it might be worth having a recruitment forum.Perhaps with threads for departments (I suppose we could fudge this by starting threads under deck and engine forums). How, I wonder, would we go about that?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts