Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That was the call heard around many pre-war seaside resorts in England, offering working class holiday makers a trip around the bay, on the ubiquitous Skylark.

I know little French so, wonder what your neighbours on the other side of the Dover Strait call out when offering the Iranians, Iraqis, Syrians and Afghans a trip over to Blighty. I imagine the cost is a bit higher than that of a trip on the Skylark and, the passage a bit rougher, not to mention dodging the hundreds of ships transiting daily.

"The little ships, the little ships
Rushed out across the sea"

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Last rant for this year.
According to the press we have 5 patrol cutters with the border force.
3 are in the Med patrolling the EU border there. 1 is patrolling the channel and the other 1 is in for maintenance.
They have a destroyer, an RFA tanker and various flying machines all with crew on standby waiting apparently on someone to make a decision.
I hope I never live to see these islands invaded by an armed service infact you don’t need to be armed just a pocketful of cash to pay the ferryman.
No wonder Pvt. Fraser said we are “Doomed”.
As is stated by the EU we are going to be a third world country then we should not be expected to help solve this problem.
Davie

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Last rant for this year.
According to the press we have 5 patrol cutters with the border force.
3 are in the Med patrolling the EU border there. 1 is patrolling the channel and the other 1 is in for maintenance.
They have a destroyer, an RFA tanker and various flying machines all with crew on standby waiting apparently on someone to make a decision.
I hope I never live to see these islands invaded by an armed service infact you don’t need to be armed just a pocketful of cash to pay the ferryman.
No wonder Pvt. Fraser said we are “Doomed”.
As is stated by the EU we are going to be a third world country then we should not be expected to help solve this problem.
Davie
It seems the government has just found another £100 million "down the back of the sofa" (for extra ferries for a 'no deal' Brexit) and that would pay for a few fast intercept boats for channel patrol.

The snag about withdrawing from the Med patrols is that when 'refugees' are interviewed they usually speak English so no prizes for guessing where their final' destination is aimed.

The use of frigates to intercept inflatables with half a dozen illegals in 20 odd miles of water is hardly a sensible use of resources but considering that the last Brexit minister seemed unsure that the UK was an island who knows what passes for 'sensible' in the government.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Fast intercept boats?" A more appropriate name for them would be rescue boats, as that now seems to be their new found purpose. In the caring world of today, budgetary considerations would surely be given priority for such vessels, as opposed to "warships."

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The head of Amnesty said that it was beholding on these people to be saved as many are fleeing persecution.
Now I am not over enamoured by that “wee”Frenchman Macron, but if he is persecuting these poor people I can understand how this problem arises.
Am I wrong in thinking that if the EU processed these people when they arrived in Europe in the first instance, they could just catch a normal channel ferry to get onto the U.K. as an EU citizen.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I do not think that Saddam would have permitted these desperate people to pack their few worldly posessions in bundles and bags and begin a possible very dangerous journey "NORTH."I do not think that GHADDAFI in Libya would have permitted.???..................THIS mess was caused by military action by the West,We bombed these countries to bits , then when it suited us We left, without a plan for the future for these countries This led to terrible civil wars . The results of which are plain for ALL to see.A bit more sympathy and understanding would not go amiss. Many are dying, and We shrug our shoulders!

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not think that Saddam would have permitted these desperate people to pack their few worldly posessions in bundles and bags and begin a possible very dangerous journey "NORTH."I do not think that GHADDAFI in Libya would have permitted.???..................THIS mess was caused by military action by the West,We bombed these countries to bits , then when it suited us We left, without a plan for the future for these countries This led to terrible civil wars . The results of which are plain for ALL to see.A bit more sympathy and understanding would not go amiss. Many are dying, and We shrug our shoulders!
An old saw often heard in the Canadian Army was "If you are looking for sympathy, it is on page 82 of the Concise Oxford Dictionary, between sh1t and syphilis. However, I do agree with most of what you have written. We do love to bomb people.

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
For the life of me I don’t get this one. The uk don’t offer any more than the continent and as far as I can see the total number rescued is about 100. So firstly it is a rather pointless trip , secondly there really isn’t many, thirdly it’s nothing compared to the problems in the med - circa 1 million refugees. And that pales into insignificance compared to the numbers put up in actual third world countries.

So it’s not a crisis, it’s a bloody stupid thing to be doing for no real purpose. So usual press hyperbole aside....What am i missing here, why would you leave France on a ridiculously dangerous crossing to get to a country that doesnt offer any extra.

The only thing I can think of is that it we are advertised as a being paved with gold by people traffickers.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Refugees from French persecution.
Even Priti Patel couldn't come up with a better one than that.
... but she's probably working on it!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Cannot argue with that Keith. To-days problems created by yesterdays politicians.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
A lot of truth here and Blair should be locked up and the key thrown away.
No Davie you can't do that! apparently if you listen to him he still has all the answers to the worlds woes.

I'll take my tongue out the cheek now, and say locking up and throwing the key away is to good for him, there's nowhere near enough pain involved.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts