Ships Nostalgia banner

181 - 200 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Rod,

Well I recall sailing with you on Inverewe if memory is correct (don’t think it was Fidentia but could be wrong) in fact I just cruised out of Barcelona today and remember going on a visit to the castle above the harbour and looking down below to the port. I was 2nd year INC. Not sure if you remember the Kentucky Bar in main part of Barcelona. Great ship we spent 10 months on her before bending the propellor up the Great Lakes and then handing her over to a Greek Shipping Co. Big Jim was Master, Malcolm Thorpe 2Nd and you were 3rd. Such Great memories.

Best Regards Tony Winter.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
No, sorry not Bill Hornsby.

I have never worked for Denholm - currently well advanced researching the company and fleet intended for an illustrated book, either digital on CD or USB stick or if I can persuade a publisher - a printed book.

My work currently stands at 265 pages A5 format
I have now approached a publisher and submitted "first sight" manuscript for their assessment. That stands currently at 206 pages A4 size, including illustrations. Some vessels still coming out of the woodwork.

If declined then will do it as previously mentioned as an on demand PDF on CD or USB

One or two on here are already in possession of an early version on CD when I was attempting to ratify vessel names and dates of Denholm involvement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
J&J were the first to engage a female INC late 1960’s in the British MN, regrettably don’t recall her name or what happened to her.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
sailed with miss (dallas) bradshaw on glenpark, was she not the first woman in the brittish mn
Unfortunately not. The following extract from my book "The Blue Funnel Odyssey"

"At the time of the Caledon purchase there was one Miss Victoria Alexandrina Drummond (a godchild of Queen Victoria) undergoing an engineering apprenticeship at the Lillybank engine shop at the shipyard. Henry Bell-Wortley, a Holt manager, and a partner in the yard, had taken a unique step by employing her and had also promised his full support in finding her a berth to obtain sea-going experience. His promise was related to Laurence Holt, upon his investment in the shipyard. Bell-Wortley however died before Drummond had completed her training. Such was Holt’s respect for him that he felt obliged to fulfil the promise he had made. Upon completion of her training Holt found her a berth as a third engineer aboard a “Blue Funnel” vessel. That was to obtain the necessary sea experience to enable her to sit a second engineer’s examination. This unique situation however, caused some problems for Holt management. Apart from the gender problems regarding onboard facilities there was the expected reluctance from within a previously 100% male regime that had to be overcome. As soon as she obtained her second class certificate in October 1924, Holt felt that the promise had been fulfilled and that he could no longer sustain the problems her presence afloat had created. He duly terminated the employment of the first female engineer in the British merchant marine, let alone the company. She subsequently continued her sea-going career and indeed became the first female to receive the Lloyd’s War Medal for bravery at sea, during World War II."

·
Registered
66 Posts
J&J were the first to engage a female INC late 1960’s in the British MN, regrettably don’t recall her name or what happened to her.
Could have Sheila Edmundson, sailed with her on the Bibi in summer 1972 when she was 3rd mate - don't know what happened to her.

Andy McArthur

·
Registered
296 Posts
Until I joined this Website I believed Denholm's was a Blue-Chip outfit.

Until I read Mr. Varley's posts I believed Sunderland Forge were the Rolls-Royce of Switchboards.

Until I joined the Texaco Denmark I believed Rolls Royce made good diesel engines, the elite.

Bubbles burst all around, do I require counselling? Or am I just a simpleton?
After Denholms management, some of the juniors stayed with the ship they thought was the best they had sailed on when it was handed to new management. Absolutely awful, the thinking had been to put additional staff on instead of fixing automation etc!!
Dannic

·
Premium Member
10,505 Posts
How can I argue with Eurofreighter. I have a bar stool cover which Bfo Bear wears as a tam-o'-shanter. Stonehaven wasn't bad. We enlarged it by knocking through the next-door cabin. Nordic Crusader wasn't bad either (especially after the 'fridge was connected to the ESB).

·
Registered
779 Posts
'Pisces Pioneer' must surely be up there. Known as the 'Assab Hilton', when delivering Oz grain(gift of the Oz people), during famine.

·
Registered
224 Posts
On the Eurofreighter that was a regular thing wearing the bar stool covers I believe they were made by someones wife and there was matching tartan curtains. I have a photo somewhere of one bar night with all the covers being worn if I find it I will post it.
John

181 - 200 of 279 Posts