Ships Nostalgia banner

201 - 220 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Found the photo but no idea how to attach it to a posting. In the photo are Gerry Morrison and Davie Woods (3/Es) and Finley MacIver 3/M. Anyone know how to add an attachment to a posting.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hit the 'Post reply' button under a message.

Add some text (eg subject, description, whatever) - in the box that appears

Hit the wee paper clip icon on the toolbar, above the text box

In the next wee (Manage Attachments) window that pops up

Hit a 'Choose' file button - then navigate to the image file on your PC/device. Usually will be a jpg file.

Upload.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sorry Airds I did not thank you in the last post. So thanks for the advice on attachments. Here is a photo the Arctic Troll bar and the Sir John Hunter sorry about the quality of the SJH photo. I was on that ship three times under different names Kona and Cast Kittiwake.

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sorry Airds I did not thank you in the last post. So thanks for the advice on attachments. Here is a photo the Arctic Troll bar and the Sir John Hunter sorry about the quality of the SJH photo. I was on that ship three times under different names Kona and Cast Kittiwake.
The lad at the front with the denim waistcoat looks like one of the Denholm Engineer Cadet intake of 1973 with me - I think!! Was he Dougie?
John.

·
Registered
224 Posts
No sorry its not Dougie, that guy was a steward from Sandyhills in Glasgow think his name was Iain but not sure. The big guy with the pint was 'Jan the Cran', he was Dutch and sailed as crane engineer on a few of the Troll boats. Can't remember the rest of the guys names.

·
Registered
252 Posts
On the Eurofreighter that was a regular thing wearing the bar stool covers I believe they were made by someones wife and there was matching tartan curtains. I have a photo somewhere of one bar night with all the covers being worn if I find it I will post it.
John
During 1976 drydocking of Eurofreighter in Falmouth, Rab Fraser, Ronnie Keir and others used to sport T shirts emblazoned with Mick Jagger type lips and a big red tongue with the motif, “BFO SUCKS”.

Sorry, a little off topic. No change there!

·
Premium Member
3,868 Posts
During 1976 drydocking of Eurofreighter in Falmouth, Rab Fraser, Ronnie Keir and others used to sport T shirts emblazoned with Mick Jagger type lips and a big red tongue with the motif, “BFO SUCKS”.

Sorry, a little off topic. No change there!
Beat Frequency Oscillator?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Beat Frequency Oscillator?
Blended Fuel Oil

Basically it was the homogenising of fuel and water before squirting the combination into the turbines.

To get to that point there were numerous ‘washing’, De emulsifying, vanadium inhibitors, settling tanks, etc etc. At that time in Falmouth, I believe it wasn’t perceived to be the most popular system.

Come on ‘engineers’ help me out here.

PS, this was possibly a rare occasion when oil & water mixed, if you get my drift.

·
Registered
224 Posts
BFO as you say was blended fuel oil. The reason for using it was that normal Gas turbine fuel was getting too expensive so they started using cheaper heavier dirtier fuel but that had to go through various process's onboard so that it would burn in a Pratt and Whitney engine. It also had a tendency to burn out engines and was a nightmare for the engineers.

On the T-shirts the best one I heard of was on the Cast boats it said "CAST is last" on the front and "Think fast leave CAST" on the back

·
Premium Member
10,505 Posts
Blended Fuel Oil

Basically it was the homogenising of fuel and water before squirting the combination into the turbines.

To get to that point there were numerous ‘washing’, De emulsifying, vanadium inhibitors, settling tanks, etc etc. At that time in Falmouth, I believe it wasn’t perceived to be the most popular system.

Come on ‘engineers’ help me out here.

PS, this was possibly a rare occasion when oil & water mixed, if you get my drift.
You have done very well without a plumber's assistance. I would only add that the washing was to remove salt (there had also been trouble in early life with salt in the intake air) salt and vanadium together made a much bigger problem than either alone and that the water left from the washing procedure caused the engineers a real pain as I was too much for the purifiers to cope with without intensive attention - no more UMS until the last few months when reverted to MGT 7.

("Oil and water mixed". VG that man!)

·
Registered
779 Posts
I sailed with a C/E, Phil Thirlaway, I think was his name. He'd spent a lot of time on the gas boats. He put it more bluntly. They were trying to burn water to save on avgas fuel.

·
Premium Member
11,819 Posts
They were trying to burn water to save on avgas fuel.
Combined STEAM/GAS !

Does anyone remember the name 'BELCO DISTILATE'? This fuel was used on the GTVs. There is a company of this name and I seem to remember they made the blend or system to 'burn' the water and gas'.

·
Premium Member
10,505 Posts
I sailed with a C/E, Phil Thirlaway, I think was his name. He'd spent a lot of time on the gas boats. He put it more bluntly. They were trying to burn water to save on avgas fuel.
Phil was one of my Chiefs on Eurofreighter. I think the word we used was blunter than that, 'sh1t' to be exact. A steam man would have known that steam/exploding water droplets improves atomisation and therefore the flame at the burner. Same-same P&W Gas generators when trying the burn said sh1t. I can't remember if the vanadium inhibitor was injected before or after the homogeniser (before makes sense). Steamship Boilers were not immune from sodium vanadate corrosive 'clinker' either but it was not as fatal when condensing on screen tubes as it was on turbine blades/nozzles or not as rapidly so anyway (here we do need plumbers. I think it has been tried in Dr. Rudolph's stone crushing contraptions too).

Phil infuriated one of my Oppos, Mike Webster. The Chief would try and do electrical things with his small screwdriver. I was more sanguine, "You ****it Chief, it's your ticket not mine" (like, I hope, all of them I got on well with Phil and he was, if I remember correctly, the one who recommended me to both the office and myself as E/O as well as telling me I drank too much. Anyway I was big headed enough to think I could sort it afterwards regardless). It was he, on one Christmas day, that reported to whoever was duty man ashore (Davy Hogg?) that we had had a fire in the stbd boiler. He was distinctly unimpressed with the "Isn't that where you are supposed to have fires, Chief?" reply.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Anyone remember blowing crushed walnut shells into the plenum chamber this happened once when I was on the Euroliner. It was supposed to help clean the blades. If I remember we went full speed and blow them in with some something that looked like a sand blasting machine. Never made the slightest difference so was never done again. But it did look pretty at night as you got a load of what looked liked fireworks coming out of the funnel.

There was a story that a captain wanted to see how the engineers water washed the engines to clean off the sea salt. This was done by standing in the plenum while the engine were run up on the starter but with no fuel. The story goes he slipped and dropped his brightstar torch which bounced as he tried to grab it and it went through the engines. Don't know if this was true or just a urban myth.

Found some more old photos of the Eurofreighter

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,505 Posts
I am sure it was true. On a subsequent trip, Brighstar well secured by lanyard was informing himself as to what was being inspected in one gearbox. Bending over, his keys slipped out of the top pocket. Fortunately there was a plumber small enough to retrieve them.

Here we praise Gas Turbines and you post a picture of the bloody Paxman.

(Walnut shells were not a novel medium for cleaning gas turbines. I'd like to remember the reason the ships didn't do it. I can't say I ever noticed a difference after water washing either except when it came to passing water through the manifold. That could precipitate it needing to be changed !)

·
Premium Member
11,819 Posts
If we are talking about the torch incident, might have been EUROFREIGHTER. Master was Ian Graham. They way I was told was different. The covers of the intakes, high up on the after superstructure, the big square intakes.... one each side. A riding crew was on board fitting 'demisters' to be fit to prevent salt coming down the vents. The original grills were being taken down and the new grills would be fitted. Old Man and Cheng went out to see the work. The ship was running full speed. Old Man's was holding onto the railing and the torch slipped from his hand and dropped 100 ft down and into the compressor.

Euroliner arrived at Weehawken a week after the event. Lots of small pieces are 'scrap' on the dock. Those were the smashed blades from the Eurofreighter. I sailed with Ian some years later in Loch Maree. I knew about the torch, but I decided not to offer any other information.

Stephen

·
Registered
441 Posts
Was only on Eurofreighter for two months as Cadet first with a 4/E who was an ex RN photographic technician and was going doolally, then a 4/E who claimed to be the only sane person on board - he could prove that as he had a discharge certificate from a psychiatric hospital!
I do remember that the fuel valve used to change from MGT/7 to BFO was motor driven and occasionally used to oscillate/shudder rapidly, feeding alternate slugs of MGT/7 & BFO causing the engines to surge dramatically and the demister panels to vibrate violently within their frames. A real brown trouser moment if you were stood anywhere nearby.
Obviously needed a good lecky (Jester)
John

201 - 220 of 279 Posts