Ships Nostalgia banner

241 - 260 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, Alan Marshall Catering boy Arctic troll 1975, sailed with Chief Cook **** Quinn from East Kilbride also with Bert Campbell PO. Done 5 months on her - Dagenham-Sweden-Germany-USA-Canada (3 round trips)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I did a trip on the Arctic Troll in 1977, as 4/E, great ship and good bunch of lads. The pics are from Savanah and Stephenville Newfyland. Also a pic on deck outside the bar where we are drinking Cold Duck wine bought in the Canada, I think, it was cheap and blew your head off.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Marconiman you would not happen to be Nick Dunbar, he was ECO when I joined the Euroliner in September 1074
Hi John, I was slightly earlier than that, left the Euroliner in Southampton 27th October 1972 and went direct employ with Bibby Line on their N Atlantic container ships.
The GTV's were well ahead of their time in the 70's wouldn't have missed the experience for anything, the only similar thing for me was the RN frigates propulsion systems after I had left the MN and worked as trials engineer with naval systems.

Best regards
Mike Wilmot

·
Premium Member
11,667 Posts
27 Oct 1972.

Definitely on board. If I recall there was dispute at some port, might have been Greenock. In any case EUROLINER came into Southampton.

Who was Master in the ship at that time? Cheng was Bobby Greenow.

Coming alongside a dolly bird dressed in red was on the dock. The crew made several wolf whistles etc. Next thing Cheng came down the gangway... is was his wife. A bit of embarrassment for the gang.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I must have been on board at the same period. I joined at New York on 7 Sept 1972. Paid off 'Clyde Ports' on 25th Nov, 1072.

Roddy Mackenzie was Mate. Williamson was Master (I think. He left about three weeks later and RS Sharp took over.

The 'torch' was definitely not EUROLINER, the pieces were on the dock at Weehawken when arrived... probably October or November.

Mike Pride was Eng Cadet. The Deck Cadet, can't remember his name, but he was known as 'Captain Kettle'. When he left I became the 'Senior' Deck Cadet. (After Kettle left I was the only one!)

The torch incident was EUROFREIGHTER (I believe) and the master was IC Grahame.

On 22nd Nov we departing Le Havre. The port rotation was different. Had come from New York, missed Le Havre, missed Zeebrugge and went straight to Rotterdam, Bremerhaven and then came down to Le Havre to head for Greenock. On departure we were in a 'hurry' to get off the berth and out of the port as a VLCC was coming on and we would be delayed. Went to station immediately and left the berth. As soon as we were clear she picked speed. Making one of the turns, she was probably going to fast, but the ship heeled and the port propeller struck the bottom. Went out on the starboard propeller. Once clear of the port the engine started again and seemed to work, but the CP would not give any ahead or astern. Headed straight to Greenock. Got there on the 23rd Nov. At that point the ship was put into Scott Lithgow for repairs. I left the ship before going into the dock.

My dad passed on 5 November. I was going to be able to get home for the funeral. As we were going to go into dock I was paid off and flew back to Bermuda. Remained home until 13 Dec and flew up to New York to rejoin. Promoted to Uncert 3rd Mate at NY. Did two 'tours' and paid off on 28th Jan 1973. On the morning of 29th I was in the classroom at GCNS!

Stephen
Hi Steven, Yes same voyage, I expect we had a pint at the bar. My book is stamped 31st Aug 72 Clyde Ports paid off Southampton 27th Oct 72. The Old Man's signature is N A Macdonald. You would have also done the following voyage in that case.

Best regards
Mike Wilmot R775978

·
Premium Member
11,667 Posts
Thanks.

Must have been NA Macdonald not Williamson.

My book, 'VOYAGES' . Wrote down for day joining and date leaving and then list of the ports. Unfortunately I didn't write down dates at each port. Would be damn useful now!

You joined 31st August. at Greenock. Did you make two round voyages... ie Greenock US Ports then European ports to US Ports, back to European ports and left at Southampton OR did you make one the one full round voyage.... Greenock, US Ports... European ports and left in Southampton?

Who was R/O while you where there? Can't remember his name.

I was only very briefly in ASIAFREIGHTER... one week, Greenock to New York, Feb, 1974. 3/O, but as supernumerary. Did some watches for the Mate, 2nd & 3rd to give them a break. Dougie Naismith was master.

Stephen

·
Registered
158 Posts
Euroliner ECO

Hi John, I was slightly earlier than that, left the Euroliner in Southampton 27th October 1972 and went direct employ with Bibby Line on their N Atlantic container ships.
The GTV's were well ahead of their time in the 70's wouldn't have missed the experience for anything, the only similar thing for me was the RN frigates propulsion systems after I had left the MN and worked as trials engineer with naval systems.

Best regards
Mike Wilmot
Marconiman: trying to recall the surname of the ECO during my 5 months on the Euroliner. Can picture him, but only remember him as Paul. Paid off Euroliner 30/11/71 in Rotterdam. I am sure he was on the GTV's for some consuderable time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks.

Must have been NA Macdonald not Williamson.

My book, 'VOYAGES' . Wrote down for day joining and date leaving and then list of the ports. Unfortunately I didn't write down dates at each port. Would be damn useful now!

You joined 31st August. at Greenock. Did you make two round voyages... ie Greenock US Ports then European ports to US Ports, back to European ports and left at Southampton OR did you make one the one full round voyage.... Greenock, US Ports... European ports and left in Southampton?

Who was R/O while you where there? Can't remember his name.

I was only very briefly in ASIAFREIGHTER... one week, Greenock to New York, Feb, 1974. 3/O, but as supernumerary. Did some watches for the Mate, 2nd & 3rd to give them a break. Dougie Naismith was master.

Stephen
Stephen
I actually joined in Rotterdam on 27th Aug 72, remember it well it was a weekend the ship hadn't docked and I didn't have the Agents number and the main office was closed. Got talking to some Dutch in a bar and the crazy b***** set fire to my newspaper which had my only contact phone number on it. Anyway the ship thankfully arrived and sailed to Greenock and signed off and on again in the 31st Aug.

The name of the R/O escapes me he was doing his first 6 months under supervision and already had some time in which was just as well as was kept busy with the Electronic systems and could leave him on his own with the comms.

Regarding the voyages I think it must have been two as it spanned 2 months, the order of ports was Greenock-NY-Baltimore-Charlston-Wilmington-maybe continent then Soton or other way round. It would have been more likely two than one as previously with Dart Line Containers had done 2 trips on and one off each voyage of 3 weeks Soton-Halifax-NY-Norfolk-Antwerp-Soton and had done 14 of those. The Euroliner was faster but more ports so I guess 2 round voyages.

·
Premium Member
11,667 Posts
Was the order not NY , Norfolk , Baltimore , Wilmington then last , Charleston ?.

New York, Baltimore, Wilmington NC, Charleston SC, New York.

From this period August 1972 to Jan 1973, Euroliner didn't called at Norfolk. All calls southbound were Wilmington first, Charleston second.

I left the ship for a couple of weeks while the ship was in dock for the propeller 'glitch' I joined at Weehawken on 14 December. I was sitting on the dock watching the ship arriving. One the voyage a plate in the stem had developed a crack. Ballast water from the forepeak was running out. The whole forepart and the first bays of containers were covered with ice... from the crossing. The same boxes stayed on board until the ice thawed and they could be discharged at Wilmington.

After went up to New York, loaded and headed east. We were due to arrive Christmas Day at Le Havre. To avoid getting caught at Zeebrugge the voyage was done at slow steaming and went straight to Rotterdam.... arrived 30th. Seatrain decided that ALL boxes for Europe ports would be discharged. The ship remained in Rotterdam until 6pm on 31st Dec. We still had some boxes to load and still had a lot of cargo not be discharged. If caught in Rotterdam the ship was ordered straight to New York. No delays!

Stephen

·
Premium Member
11,667 Posts
Regarding the voyages I think it must have been two as it spanned 2 months, the order of ports was Greenock-NY-Baltimore-Charlston-Wilmington-maybe continent then Soton or other way round. It would have been more likely two than one as previously with Dart Line Containers had done 2 trips on and one off each voyage of 3 weeks Soton-Halifax-NY-Norfolk-Antwerp-Soton and had done 14 of those. The Euroliner was faster but more ports so I guess 2 round voyages.

Thanks. In my 'logbook' I put down dates for joining and leaving then the list of ports. Wish I had kept a better record!

At Hamburg I was ashore with Mike Pride and the R/O (mentioned above). Went to some sleazy pub drinking (as always) and with three German birds. They were drinking the whisky & Fanta. The bill came we got a bit of a shock and not enough to pay it! Had a conference in the loo and decided to make a runner. Came out of the loo, slammed the DM's on the table ( paid our share and some of the birds) and than ran as fast as could. Had the Police had looked for us it would have spotted immediately... three of running like mad and wearing Alpine hats with foot long feathers sticking out. Jolly Jack Ashore!

·
Premium Member
11,667 Posts
Somehow those policemen do not look young despite the short trousers.

These were the Police Band.... Hamburg style!

No one here admit to going to Zillertahl? Litres of froth with schnapps.

This photo was not taken on my Euroliner days... this was taken five years later when as an aging 2nd Mate. The 'growth' didn't last.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Didn`t the waitresses have to carry 4? in each hand or some such quantity. Not sure if it`s still there. Happy times in Hamburg, with the Star Club over the road somewhere, & of course `Penny Farthing Alley`, good old days.

·
Premium Member
11,667 Posts
Didn`t the waitresses have to carry 4? in each hand or some such quantity. Not sure if it`s still there. Happy times in Hamburg, with the Star Club over the road somewhere, & of course `Penny Farthing Alley`, good old days.

Four steins in one hand and a brace of sailors in the other!

No doubt, Hamburg and Rotterdam were great runs ashore.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Zillertahl, didn't you have to buy the band a round when a particular tune started and the hat was carried through the beer hall and if it ended up on your head, you were then elected to conduct the band.

Another memory of Hamburg was in the early 60's three of us had gone ashore from the Wandby (one of Ropners) and were docked down the river. The best way to the 'action' was by river ferry, the ferry would zigzag along the landing stages each side of the river, we were heading for St Pauli or similar. By mistake we got off too early and on the wrong side, a fairly run down area, anyway there was a bar so we went in ordered up beer and paid there and then, on leaving to catch the available ferry for up town there was great commotion pushing back of chairs and shouting for us to pay, the barman must have known we had earlier but remained silent. The best course of action was to pay again which we did however that wasn't good enough and we were bodily picked up and thrown out on to the cobbles.

Apart from that I've always found the Germans similar to us and got on well. Maybe it was memories of Der Krieg.

The Zillertahl was great entertainment and singing didn't they link arms and stand on those long tables with a stein and then stand on the upturned steins.

·
Premium Member
11,667 Posts
The Zillertahl, didn't you have to buy the band a round when a particular tune started and the hat was carried through the beer hall and if it ended up on your head, you were then elected to conduct the band.

Exactly... almost. The bandmeister came to me and handed the stick. The music started and I went with it. I knew the tune. Almost. :) AFTER the music he asked for a round of beer for the band. Ah, it was all in good fun. Didn't have to carry thSchnapps. Seemed potent stuff back then. Last time I tasted it a but 'weak'. Anyhow, Italy is a better spot. Puccini works better with Grappa!

·
Premium Member
10,433 Posts
Alas. Even taken to Verdi Grappa now wakes me with a thumping heart in the middle of the night (as does Calvados). The maestros must sink or swim on their own account.

241 - 260 of 279 Posts