Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sereved on the following ships in the early 80's.

Fort Coulonge,Fort Steele, Fort Edmonton, Forty Hamilton,Dart Atlantica and CP Ambassador.

Sadly conditions changed,shoreside was more appealing and along came the kids.

CP still a big company but now mainly with foreign officers and crew, still sponser British cadets but don't expect a job at the end.
How things have changed.Progress? see thread for CP Valour. You only reap what you sow. I'm disappointed CP but am I jumping the gun it may have been an unavoidable accident? (Cloud)

Firey

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi Firey,

I sailed with CP from 83-86 as an RO.
Was on the Fort Providence, Fort Revolution, WM Neal, WC Van Horne,
Fort Calgary, Fort Kipp and RA Emerson.

It was a fairly good company to work for and the ship's were fine. Having
said that, some bright spark in the 'office' decided that the company could
save lots of money by not doing any deck maintenance. He was correct in
a sense, but after a year of deteriorating ships, a prospective charterer paid
a visit to some CP vessel he was going to use, and after one look said 'I am not
going to send my cargo on a rust heap like that!!"

This resulted in CP spending vast amounts of money to bring all the ships back up
to standard again.

The fate of the instigator of the no-maintenance policy is unknown, but he is
most likely a senior board member by now!

cheers,

malcolm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello Firey, I sailed with CP from 82 till 84 as an AB. Sailling on the Fort Garry, G.A. Walker(during the Falklands),Fort Rouge and the Dart Atllantica. It was alright to start with but after two years I,d had enough and I jumped ship in Singapore. " Nice flight home " !!! REGARDS Trevor.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hi Guys,
With CP from 1968 to 1978. Sailed on the 'Beaverboats' and the forest product carriers. Was fortunate enough to stand by new buildings in Japan from 1972 'til 1977, but did maiden voyage on I.D. Sinclair in early 74. Great memories of a really good company with super ships and blokes. And yes I have also been in companies with rubbish ships and blokes!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Les, I was with you on the maiden voyage of the Sinclair as well ,probably as 4th Eng at that time. I paid off in some godforsaken place in Brazil. Age dims the memories a little! Keep in touch. Jon Jeffrey

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Worked for CP from 76 to 86 as a sparky. GA Walker, WA Mather, WC VanHorne, EWBeatty, Fort Assiniboine/Garry/Rouge, IDSInclair, Port Hawkesbury and others. Only just recovered from the hangover.

:-D

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Almost forgot, sailed on CP Voyager in '72 with my wife. Officers put a swear-box in the bar (my wife was the only women onboard). Proceeds of which bought a large hi-fi for the Officers bar
(K)

·
Registered
1 Posts
spent a short period on Fort Hamilton in 1980/81, seems good memories now must have forgotten the bad bits (Thumb)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was with CP 1973 - 1986 on a lot of their classy vessels G.A. Walker Argies missed it, CP ambassador refused to sink, ID Sinclair ,Fort St John, TG Shaughnessy, Forts Kamloops & Yale and various others that I cannot remember. I left when they flagged the fleet out but still have generally good memories bad ones gone. Well most. still in touch with some guys from these days but memory for names is rubbish

·
Registered
631 Posts
Albatross1.
Were you on the Ambassador when she decided to take on water in the Engine Room, half way across the Atlantic, I was on her as Lecky. Gamblin was O/M.
Regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
No I missed that one,Brown and Gaunt were the Captains on there for most of the time I was there, we did flood the steering gear got pooped and hatch was open exciting with a full load of containers and a howling gale,I was on there also when we lost most of the containers over the side in a storm lots of bikes ,pencils and crash helmets which made good decoration for the foremast it was Christmas. (Jester)

1 - 20 of 268 Posts