Ships Nostalgia banner
241 - 260 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I got your message. Many thanks for that. Hard to believe all that was more than 40 years ago. :eek:

That was one of my favourite trips

I stuck with CP until 1986 then came ashore in various jobs and ended up at GCHQ.

Now retired and a professional idle bastard. :sweat:

I don't get on here much, but it was very nice to hear from you. I've been in contact with Ian Denham, who has posts on here, but nobody else from CP.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Chris, nice to see a name I remember from CP, I think we sailed together on the Fort Hamilton in about 1984, you were 3/O and I was C/E Henry Robson with my wife Gloria.
I stayed with CP until made redundant in 88, remained at sea until 2014 when I retired.
Maddie Haris married Byron Gudgeon and joined the WA Mather in 83 I think, Byron relieved me in Fujaira and I signed off with John Simcox, that was his first trip master.
Tracey Edwards was another female cadet I sailed with once as cadet and once as 3/O.
There was another one who's name I forget who left and joined the police, she had married a 2/O and CP messed them about never getting on leave together.
Thanks for making my memory work

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey I got a question fellas! I was on a coaster the Blisworth to be exact around 1949/50, we were discharging in Depford creek,road stone from Newlyn If I remember correctly, when aboard bounces a couple of Canadains looking for work, both were AB's, they had an unhappy story to relate, they said all the Canadain crews had been "Fired" from all CP ships, and CP were signing on Brits under British articles, whose pay scale was far short of the Canadian pay scale, they said they were not asked to "resign"so were "on the beach" We did have a job for one of the guys a Newfie who stayed with us for quite a few trips. on sailing later that day there was about four "Beaver" boats tied up alongside at Tilbury.What was that all about? was it a strike by the Canucks that got them all Fired, or was it a company ploy to reduce costs
http://www.wfhathewaylabourexhibitcentre.ca/labour-history/the-1949-canadian-seamen-s-union-strike/

·
Registered
205 Posts
In April 1949, the Canadian Seamens’ Union declared a strike against the shipping companies. The S.I. U. headed by Hal Banks, (a gangster brought up from New York) were hired instead of C.S.U. The strike had world-wide repercussions. London docks were affected, and the British Parliament met. Members of the C.S.U. were blacklisted and our merchant navy virtually destroyed. It was the time of McCarthyism in the States, and C.S.U. members were labeled “Commies.” The Canadian government and the R.C.M.P. were complicit. There is an excellent book about this by Jim Green:
Against the tide: The story of the Canadian Seamen's Union: Jim Green. i see by your link that you've already read the background on this matter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There were many communists in the labour movement, both in the UK and North America, using it for their own purposes. "The Communist Technique in Britain" by Bob Darke, a former communist details this.

Of course the shipowners used that for their own purposes: they'd rather have a crooked, bought union than a real one, and if the communists couldn't control a union they'd rather see it destroyed, as according to marxist dialectics "the worse things got, the better they got" and an effective non-communist union defused worker discontent and made "capitalism" more effective and prosperous.

And now we have F.O.C. and no one is better off; except the guys from the 2nd and 3rd worlds who got the jobs.

·
Registered
90 Posts
chrisw13..was ken peach ch/eng,ex fyffes if so sailed with him many times' was with cp for 3 years as ch/stwd on walker,edmonton,mather,kipp,fraser Calgary.Eddie.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I worked on the Princess of vancouver for a few months when I first immigrated to Canada, it was a ferry boat travelling from Vancouver to Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. That was in 1962.

·
Registered
63 Posts
In April 1949, the Canadian Seamens’ Union declared a strike against the shipping companies. The S.I. U. headed by Hal Banks, (a gangster brought up from New York) were hired instead of C.S.U. The strike had world-wide repercussions. London docks were affected, and the British Parliament met. Members of the C.S.U. were blacklisted and our merchant navy virtually destroyed. It was the time of McCarthyism in the States, and C.S.U. members were labeled “Commies.” The Canadian government and the R.C.M.P. were complicit. There is an excellent book about this by Jim Green:
Against the tide: The story of the Canadian Seamen's Union: Jim Green. i see by your link that you've already read the background on this matter.
thanks for that, I know a bit about that but I will have to look for that book, Paddy McDonnell.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Paddy, I see you live in Canada. You might try the public library for Jim Green's book. I know it's in the Vancouver Public Library.

·
Registered
4 Posts
CP Female Officers

Hi Chris, nice to see a name I remember from CP, I think we sailed together on the Fort Hamilton in about 1984, you were 3/O and I was C/E Henry Robson with my wife Gloria.
I stayed with CP until made redundant in 88, remained at sea until 2014 when I retired.
Maddie Haris married Byron Gudgeon and joined the WA Mather in 83 I think, Byron relieved me in Fujaira and I signed off with John Simcox, that was his first trip master.
Tracey Edwards was another female cadet I sailed with once as cadet and once as 3/O.
There was another one who's name I forget who left and joined the police, she had married a 2/O and CP messed them about never getting on leave together.
Thanks for making my memory work
Hi Henry,

Nice to hear from you. I remember you and Gloria, but it was MV WA Mather we sailed together on in 1983. I also remember Hugh Hutchinson 3/E and his wife Gaye, C/O Chris Ireland, and 4/E Harry ? from that trip. I joined in Hamburg and paid off in Zamboanga, Philippines.
I was the 3/O who married the 2/O ( Mike Heffer) and left to join the police. CP were not very helpful to say the least, hence I decided on a career change. We divorced in 2003, and I last heard Mike was working and living in Brazil on oil rig supply vessels.
I spent 30 years with Dorset Police, retiring in 2014.
I now live in North Ayrshire, Scotland.

I sailed with Maddie and Byron Gudgeon on one of the product tankers, possibly the Fort Coulonge in 1982.

Chris

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Chris, looks like my memory was not working as well as i thought but when you mentioned Hugh and Gaye I remember them and Chris Ireland
Pleased to hear you had a good career in the police.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Russ,

Your first montage includes me, Bruce Nicholls. I was deck cadet. I remember that the mate was allergic to alcohol. That was a first...particularly on CP Ships. I took redundancy in 1986. Worked in cargo inspection for a few years then in the trading dept at BP. Retired two years ago. Now living in Wales.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, I am acting on behalf of CP and I am trying to locate an ex-CP seafarer who was at sea during the period from 1978 to 1989 in order to assist me in relation to a legal claim. If you are able to assist, please provide me with your contact details. Many thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
Byron & Maddie Gudgeon lived in Monmouth Gwent until 2015 with Sons Brendan & Daniel.
Byron served for 22 years on Stolt Tankers, believed last living in Newport.

·
Registered
48 Posts
CP Ships

Sailed on many CP ships, First being the Port Hawkesbury, then Port Quebec,Fort calgary,CP Voyaguer, CP Trader, Lord Strathcona,RA Emerson, WA Mather, Fort Carleton,Fort Frontenac,Fort Dufferin,Canmar Venture,Fort Providence all as Radio Officer/Electronics. All good experience. Great bunch people. Happy days!!
David Atkinson.

241 - 260 of 286 Posts