Ships Nostalgia banner
261 - 280 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings Everyone - Richard Brittlebank here - CP seagoing engineer 1976-86. I've been on Ships Nostalgia before but always seem to have trouble logging in, so pleasantly surprised this time!! I realise this is an old thread but I've had Thevendran Ponnambalam contact me over the Christmas - one of CP's Sri Lankan officers, whom I sailed with (and his missus Olwyn) on the 'Fort Coulonge' I think it was. He was maybe 3/E & I was 2/E. He lives in Australia and has recently retired from a career with Qantas.

Dave Beedie e-mailed me a couple of years ago re.the regular reunions he organizes per:

Hello Richard
I’m not sure if you remember me but I worked in the Fleet Personnel Dept with those old reprobates Bob Balneaves and Graham Simmons. Kelvin McIldoon gave your contact details to me so I thought I’d be in touch to see if you wanted to go to any of our CP reunions. If you live in the South I meet up with Robin Ebsworth, Ken Edwards, Robbie Banks, Captain Peter Grant and a few other CP guys in a pub in Southampton a couple of times a year and you are very welcome to join us and talk about the “good old Days”. We also have two reunions in London each year in May and October when more people attend. Apart from Bob and Graham, other regulars at these reunions are Dave Evans, Phil Jeavons, Lawrie Steadman and Marshall Christie. You may remember some of those names ? The next reunion will be on Friday 13th May at the Ship and Shovell Pub, 1-3 Craven passage, Charing Cross, London WC2N 5PH from 1230 if you fancy wiping out an afternoon !
Best wishes
Dave

Most of the people on his list are ex.shoreside wallahs but at the one reunion I've been to so far, I met up with Dave Evans, my C/E when I was 1st. trip 2nd.which was lovely. Dave Beedie sent a photo - per attached - of the attendees at one that I didn't go to.

AI used to be able to get on Marshall Christie's ex. CP'ers website but that seems to have 'died'.

All the best for 2019.

RICHARD
Hi Richard,

Rob McLaren here, I think we sailed together on the ID Sinclair, back in the day - Gadget!!

Be good if we all could meet up still. Used to go to the Liverpool meeting that Marshall Christie arranged. Went with Mick O'Toole, Guy Rayson and Ian McCluskie. Met Laurie Steadman and quite a few others.

I am currently scanning in some slides from my CP days, Ascension Island and the like.

Good to see people are still around.

Still travel a lot so happy to meet somewhere & chew the fat.

Rob McLaren

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hi Dave, I relieved you on Port Quebec in Hamburg. Am still recovering from our night at the Zillertal! Have you still got the photo? I have mine somewhere.
All the best
Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lord Strathcona

My Dad Jim Dempsey a Scotsman was 2nd engineer on Lard Strathcona early 70's if anyone war onboard around that time you might have known him. He also sailed on Pacific Logger.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ch.Eng ER HENRY passed away

Good morning
I have to pass on the sad news that my very good friend Evan Henry ex Ch.Eng with CP Ships passed away on Saturday morning.He was suffering from Asbestos related Lung Cancer.
best rgds
Roger Smith -ex Master CP ships

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys.
My father was the late John William Hume who was the master mariner for Canadian Pacific. Known as the Geordie Skipper.
He was captain in the 80s of the Fort Coulonge, Fort Rouge, Fort Kipp, Fort Toronto (commandeered to be a fresh water carrier in the Falklands War), Fort Rouge, WA Mather, Fort Toronto, Fort Macleod sadly the last one he captained.
I'd love to hear anything about him if you know him!!!!
Best,
Garry

·
Registered
5 Posts
I sailed with CP from 1977 - 81 as a RO, later REO. T Akasaka was first ship from Cagliari to Vancouver via Brazil and Japan. Then Voyager, EW Beatty, Fort Kipp, Fort Victoria, Fort Yale and Port Vancouver. Met some really great people, had some good times and visited some interesting ports. Port Vancouver was only ship I was glad to leave due to captain and chief. Alas, my last ship too.
Hi Ian
This is Glenn, lecky on what appears to have been your last trip. If I don't have my wires crossed we paid off the port Vancouver together in Rio.
Have just come across this site on grey rainy day...some 5 years or so after your post,.
cheers
Glenn ( x cp 80-85)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Richard,

Rob McLaren here, I think we sailed together on the ID Sinclair, back in the day - Gadget!!

Be good if we all could meet up still. Used to go to the Liverpool meeting that Marshall Christie arranged. Went with Mick O'Toole, Guy Rayson and Ian McCluskie. Met Laurie Steadman and quite a few others.

I am currently scanning in some slides from my CP days, Ascension Island and the like.

Good to see people are still around.

Still travel a lot so happy to meet somewhere & chew the fat.

Rob McLaren
Hi Rob - have I already replied to your msg.of a while back? If not, my apologies. I think I recall you - my Discharge Book says I joined the Sinclair off Las Palmas 19/12/79 (recall flying out there with a 3/O? whose guitar went missing en-route but he recovered it in time to join the ship which, after an overnight stay, we did by helicopter) as 3/E, paying off Khor Fakkan 17/03/80. Big tankers didn't suit me - only time at sea that I could actually say it was boring!! I recall Alan Mather was the 2/E and we had another 3/E who was a nutter - came down the E/R room lift chasing another guy and waving a bar stool about over his head - wonderful times??
I must've met Alan subsequently, since I have his visiting card of some years back, when he was shoreside with a marine consultancy, Ferryman Fyans & Hudson.
Recall Guy Rayson well - think I was in touch with someone else not so long ago who keeps in contact with him - I'm in annual contact with Peter Thorpe, 4/E when I was on the 'Dart Americana' my last ship.

Haven't been any London CP get-togethers since the Covid as far as I'm aware.

Only this week I stumbled upon this:

full of scanned in Seanews' newsletters & photos - maybe that was yours?

Hope you are well and looking forward to hearing from you again.

RICHARD BRITTLEBANK

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really don't miss working on these!(Jester)
Hi Russ
Glenn Moore (lecky), we were together on the new build in Korea, I just came across this site on a grey rainy day. Having just returned from 20 yrs in the US. Apart from studies haven't really lived in the uk proper since 78.
Cheers
Glenn

·
Registered
9 Posts
Richard Brittlebank.........a name from my past.
We joined GA Walker together in Sweden during 1980..........you I believe as first trip 2/E and me as first trip with CP having come from Clan Line.
We also paid off together in Maracaibo and after a prolonged stay in a residential eventually both got repatriated back to UK with R/O Rose King.
Bob Clay was the RO when we joined, John Draper joined with us as mate, John Kitto 3/E and Brian Goodhand elect as far as I remember.
This was my first of three stints on the Walker (one trip exceeding 6 months) and it was always a well worked but tired ship. I had the experience of being involved in the major repairs at Norfolk after the double grounding in the Maracaibo channel.
Eventually I ended up with CP Hong Kong and then sailed my last three voyages on the Repap Enterprise (think this was CP - Ozmillion Shipping, Liberia) in 86/87 with Dave Evan's and Trevor Fisher.
Guy Rayson was on one of my Walker adventures as was Peter Thorpe - not heard from Peter since the mid 80's.
Coincidently my next to last ship was Dart Americana when, during Repap renovation works in Rotterdam I was persuaded to do an Xmas / New Year relief trip to US and back for the regular 2/E Dave Green?
Great to have come upon your recent posting after so many years.
Regards,
Tony Bartley

·
Registered
725 Posts
I think Bob Clay must have relieved me in Umea in 1980. We spent a long time in Norshipco prior to the trip to Sweden. It it was all engine room, tank coating and rudder work. Good trip and crowd.
She had hit the quay in Amoy Bay on a previous trip. I joined in Puerto Ordaz up the Orinoco with three Vikings from Aalborg who were redoing the boilers. Quite an experience being dumped in a clearing in the jungle at midnight with a 40W bulb to keep the wildlife at bay. 😂

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think Bob Clay must have relieved me in Umea in 1980. We spent a long time in Norshipco prior to the trip to Sweden. It it was all engine room, tank coating and rudder work. Good trip and crowd.
She had hit the quay in Amoy Bay on a previous trip. I joined in Puerto Ordaz up the Orinoco with three Vikings from Aalborg who were redoing the boilers. Quite an experience being dumped in a clearing in the jungle at midnight with a 40W bulb to keep the wildlife at bay. 😂
Hi Bill
I recently found this site.
We met briefly on the Vancouver in Rio circa late February 1981. You were releiving Ian Rose, who I was paying off with.
We stayed on board for almost a week before paying off. I recall you overhauling all the aerial connections in the shack/monkey Island....
Just returned to the UK after 20 years in the US, haven't really lived in the uk for over 40 yearss....See how it goes.
Take care
Cheers
Glenn

Glenn Moore ( lecky at the time...)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Hi Bill
I recently found this site.
We met briefly on the Vancouver in Rio circa late February 1981. You were releiving Ian Rose, who I was paying off with.
We stayed on board for almost a week before paying off. I recall you overhauling all the aerial connections in the shack/monkey Island....
Just returned to the UK after 20 years in the US, haven't really lived in the uk for over 40 yearss....See how it goes.
Take care
Cheers
Glenn

Glenn Moore ( lecky at the time...)
Hi Glenn
I have been living in the US, Norfolk, for the last 33 years. The G A Walker was my downfall. The girl I met has been the my wife for nearly 40 years. She was with me on Andes Discoverer, D C Coleman, Dart Atlantica and Fort Kamloops. Never made the full USA change over so still a Brit. I go home every summer, virus permitting, to go sailing and see family and friends. I worked for Radio Holland for 30 years in Norfolk and retired in 2019. I replaced many aerials in that time. My favourite job. Ian Rose was a good guy. He was on Port Vancouver in Norfolk loading grain when we were in Norshipco and we met up. I believe you had come round Cape Horn on the Vancouver before Rio. Pity I missed that trip. Thought many times about returning home to live and still may do it but who knows. Our daughter is here so complicates things. Hope all goes well with your retirement and return.
Cheers
Bill
PS Joining Vancouver in Rio at Carnivale was interesting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Glenn
I have been living in the US, Norfolk, for the last 33 years. The G A Walker was my downfall. The girl I met has been the my wife for nearly 40 years. She was with me on Andes Discoverer, D C Coleman, Dart Atlantica and Fort Kamloops. Never made the full USA change over so still a Brit. I go home every summer, virus permitting, to go sailing and see family and friends. I worked for Radio Holland for 30 years in Norfolk and retired in 2019. I replaced many aerials in that time. My favourite job. Ian Rose was a good guy. He was on Port Vancouver in Norfolk loading grain when we were in Norshipco and we met up. I believe you had come round Cape Horn on the Vancouver before Rio. Pity I missed that trip. Thought many times about returning home to live and still may do it but who knows. Our daughter is here so complicates things. Hope all goes well with your retirement and return.
Cheers
Bill
PS Joining Vancouver in Rio at Carnivale was interesting.
Bill
Thx for your reply, glad that you seem to be doing well.
I too retired in 2019, was self employed (LLC) for 12 yrs or so, which I've left that simmering in case anything interesting comes up...
I had a couple of greencards then took citizenship a few years ago , you can have dual citizenship I have....
It's easier n cheaper than continually renewing greencards.
Indeed Ian was a great guy. Also I have have photo/s n a nav system printout of rounding the cape somewhere...
Plus yes Rio mardi gras was good, from 98 to 02 I lived in Cologne (Köln) where the karnevals were really something, weeks one never remembers n a lot , especially as our employer sponsored a lot of it.. .
I left CP in 85 did a couple of years with p&O cruises ( more memory loss lol)...then my last trip on the orient express.....
In 82 I did electrical n marine engineers duties , subsequently went to dot schools did chiefs etc.
After sea time did a couple of engineering degrees plus later an MBA.
Worked as a surveyor for GL , lived in Germany for several decades, worked for 27 years for insurance companies. One of whom transferred me to the US Chicago 2 years, then NE Ohio for 18 yrs...
Also through mainly business trips I got my 50 states in , in 2008....

How time flies ...lol
Cheers
Glenn

·
Registered
Athelmonarch, Anco Stane, Anco Templar, Anco Empress, Anco Chaser, Anco Enterprise
8 Posts
Hi, in early 1983 I was on the tanker, Anco Empress, carrying fresh water in the Falklands. We spent the days at anchor in the Sound outside of Port Stanley. at sunset we would have to weigh anchor and leave the sound to sail around the ocean in dead slow circles.
My enquiry here is that near to us in the anchorage was a CP ship that, to my recollection had been there long term I don’t remember her name etc. We swapped movies with her, and in order to do this went over in our lifeboat. Having got the box of movies we were heading back, when the engine stalled, and refused to restart, leaving us drifting. Fully enclosed lifeboats are impossible to row. It was definitely a pressure situation as the surrounding shoreline had all been mined by the Argentinians. I eventually got it going and we returned safely.
Does anybody on here know who that CP ship was?
Even better anybody have photos from that time?

Kind regards, Bob Williams

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bob,
It would have been GA Walker or Fort Toronto .
I wasn't on it myself the Walker at the time having paid off shortly before the Falklands crisis to attend college but the vessel was there a long time and I believe was used for fuel storage.
Fort Toronto was I think used for fresh water storage

·
Registered
9 Posts
You must have paid off shortly before I joined.
The jetty at Amoy bay was still a few shattered piles when we got back there and it wasn't too long before the Walker spent another long time in Norshipco Norfolk after grounding at Maracaibo.
She needed a lot of underside hull repairs and the main engine had to be detached, realigned and reset on the bedplate in chockfast resin - an interesting experience one does not see every day.
Also it wasn't too long before one of her boilers caught fire (literally) and required a complete retubing due to all the previous ones burning out and going up the funnel.
Like I've said before, a hard worked and tired ship but great for gaining experience.

261 - 280 of 286 Posts